Pigeon Lake and a prop

ehg

Haven't really fished much this year for different reasons (mainly illness) so was glad to get out Saturday for a bit, only third day out since musky opened. Was worried about thunderstorms and the sun beating down on us but it was mainly cloudy with some sprinkles here and there :thumbsup_anim:

Always figure to target muskies at Pigeon and started off trolling Jakes and Believers in open deeper waters, no fish were caught. So ended up throwing spinnerbaits and topwaters for bass mostly, as usual. Some decent bass are usually caught but yesterday was all small smallies and rock bass. Like fish shown here...

IMG_0016-4.jpg

So we went down to south end of Big Island to a rocky spot that has a huge reef coming up to about 1 foot deep. Have always done well for smallmouth here but today just a bunch of 1 lbers and WGSF's. This shallow rocky reef covers about 400 square yards and is unmarked and submerged. Over past 20+ years i've seen no markers but yesterday i saw some bleach jugs marking reef. Dave spotted something odd on a shallow flat rock, so we looked and he pulled this out...

IMG_0011-9.jpg

This part was completely sheared off. The depth would probably be about 2 ft. for at least 100 yards in any direction. This was a big boat, seems the outcome would have been nasty no matter what. Must be why someone finally decided to mark the reef.

Not far from here there are channel markers where musky folks trolled. I never fished there until earlier this year. Decided to troll a firetiger musky spinnerbait.

Ended up catching this musky as we were going into shallower weedy water. Thought i caught a weedmass until felt strong headshakes.

IMG_0013-8.jpg

Didn't measure fish but maybe it was 35 in.

Had a great day outside and caught a musky. :Gonefishing:

Gotta love going out fishing :thumbsup_anim:

hurricane point maybe

Ya Hurricane Point has bad bits but that is at very north part of lake. This area is at very south part of Big Island maybe 3-4 miles south of Hurricane Point. We trolled Hurricane Point for 'skis but nada. It isn't called DSI either :santa:

Thanks for replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to share... (first time poster, long time lurker)

5 years ago I was musky fishing in November with a group of guys. This happened on the last day of our trip.

ooops.jpg

It was a terrible day of snow/rain/wind.

I was tucked behind the windshield following my course on the GPS. I had been over that spot hundreds of times over the years and at least 15 during this trip. All I heard was bang and then the smell of lower unit lube. That was the day I learned (the hard way) about GPS position error. Then a few weeks ago, my buddy who was in the boat with me, sent this picture. They were on a sea-doo trip through the trent, and were laughing about the "event" and found the lower unit.

lostandfound.jpg

I am glad to hear it is marked now, it is a great spot surrounded by deep water, rock & weed (and boat parts)

That is the flat rocks your buddy is standing on with the prop. Thought surely must've been damage to the hull of boat as well with the shallowness and abundance of rocks. At least no one was hurt. Small world :o

Nice ski! And WOW, that prop pic is crazy... I have always wondered what would happen if somebody hit a rock or shoal with a big outboard... now I know! Was there any damage to the boat? Growing up on Rice Lake, I heard many stories of boats tearing their transoms off on the sunken railroad tracks... never saw any to confirm though.

I just had to share... (first time poster, long time lurker)

5 years ago I was musky fishing in November with a group of guys. This happened on the last day of our trip.

ooops.jpg

It was a terrible day of snow/rain/wind.

I was tucked behind the windshield following my course on the GPS. I had been over that spot hundreds of times over the years and at least 15 during this trip. All I heard was bang and then the smell of lower unit lube. That was the day I learned (the hard way) about GPS position error. Then a few weeks ago, my buddy who was in the boat with me, sent this picture. They were on a sea-doo trip through the trent, and were laughing about the "event" and found the lower unit.

lostandfound.jpg

I am glad to hear it is marked now, it is a great spot surrounded by deep water, rock & weed (and boat parts)

Hey Hammer swinger. You figure thats the same prop as the first posters picture?