Towing 2 trailers??

FISHINGNUT

Been looking into purchasing a tent trailer or slide in truck camper for the family instaed of the cottage rentals every year.They both have there pros and cons the biggest pro and only pro I can see for me on the slide in camper is I can easily tow my 18ft aluminum bow rider along with us,but the tent trailer is better suited for the family and probably it will be used 90% with the family.Would it be legal or even practical to tow a tent trailer and my boat tandem ??I know there are options like taking 2 vehichles but thats not really a family vacation and we are doubling the fuel costs and I dont want to down size my boat to a car topper .I have a full size dodge pick up with a beefed up suspension and a 5.9l so towing capcity isnt a problem.It is very important to me that I be able to take my boat so I can go fishing or it wouldnt be much of a holiday now would it :blush:

Thanks Jamie

Not sure about it behind a pop-up trailer Fishingnut. I have seen several fifth wheel rigs with boats pulled in tandem though. I'm sure the frame on the trailer would be the deciding factor if it could hold the load.

Sure wouldn't want to back that type of rig up though..

Let us know what you find out

Cheers

Craig

There are places that it is legal and places where it isn't.

Check the DOT websites for the places you want to go.

I have seen it done all across the west.

You will probably have to beef up the frame on the camper unless you purchase one of the larger campers that have a good frame.

I wouldn't want to be towing my boat behind my camper as the frame is not very solid and I dont think it would be up to the task without some work.

You also have to look into the weight capacity of your camper.

For instance the cargo carrying capacity of my camper is 866#'s, so I would have to subtract the tongue weight of my boat's trailer from 866 and that would be the amount of stuff I could carry in the camper.

You also would need to adjust how you load your camper as the tongue weight of your boat will decrease the amount of weight on the tongue of your camper and cause issues if you have too little weight.

Just something to think about.

from what i learned on canada's worst driver, you can tow two trailers in tandem up to 23 m.

just found the link to MTO

Towing More Than One Vehicle

Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act.

My link

Here goes.....I've just been through this w/MTO, OPP, Regionals.

I have a Ford Expedition a 30' Mallard Camper and a 14' Tracker.

If you have a Full sized Pick up or Full sized S.U.V (with black plates)

You may tow a total length of 74' (including the tow vehicle)

Hitch to Hitch, doesn't have to be 5th Wheel.

Tow mirrors large enough to see both wagons.{or video camera for rear wagon}

First trailer MUST be TANDEM ( 2 axles ) one of which needs brakes.

Second trailer may not exceed the weight of the first and may have one axle.

Not to exceed the GVWR of your vehicle .. If you do, you need a CVOR which is a yellow sticker that means that you must get your vehicle certified and inspected every year and depending of the total weight may need a Daily Log just like a trucker..

I know that I'm legal in ONTARIO to do it, and have all papers in glovebox to prove it to any Officer that may pull me over.

Randy

:canadian:

May I suggest a truck camper that is complimented with a nice tent for your extra sleeping room. This way you have the best of both worlds and a lot less headaches. Good Luck with your decision and it will be interesting to know which way you go......please post with pictures.

Bob

May I suggest a truck camper that is complimented with a nice tent for your extra sleeping room. This way you have the best of both worlds and a lot less headaches. Good Luck with your decision and it will be interesting to know which way you go......please post with pictures.

Bob

This is the route I think I may have to go the kids still like sleeping in the tent (Wife and I dont) thanks for all the info guys camper looks like the best bet if I am going to tow my boat without alot of retro fitting a hard top tent trailer

I am in the same boat I have a 12 ft tent trailer and 16 ft boat. The way we decided to do this was both of us drive (6 hour drive for us), wife pulls the boat I pull the trailer. There is plenty of time once you get there to spend time together for the family vacation.The fuel cost is double but the option is leaving one or the other at home and wife and I have different opinions on which one gets left behind.We have been doing this for 10 years now.