Canoe Anchor

whynotalen

I would like to get a an anchor for my canoe so I can do some better fishing out of it. I was wondering what weight of anchor would I generally need to stay put. I am thinking of getting two 1.5 Lb Grappling Nachors, would that be enough??

Some points to consider:

Are you fishing in rivers, ponds or lakes? How big? How deep? How big and how heavy is the canoe plus gear? You might find that if the bottom is hard you might not get much of a "catch" with a light grappling type.

Some other options that will work in certain situations are a "grabber" type attachment that you can use if you are close to shore. You clamp it on to a tree branch or other suitable structure.

A great weight saving option, particularly useful when portaging, is a heavy mesh bag that you fill with rocks. Sometimes finding the rocks isn't easy though.

2 cents???

Just to give you an idea, I have a 10 or 15LB (I think 15LB) in my 18.5" fiberglass bowrider in the grappling style and the 1 keeps me and my family set even in some strong wind and waves. I think you would be set with a 5LB or 2 1.5LB's.

It would mostly be in the Grand River near very slow moving water so there would not be very big current or it would be in nearby reservoirs in shallow to 20 feet of water just to keep me from being moved by the wind.

i have read on the net of people using a milk carton full of rocks as an anchor....I just wasn't sure that it would really grip the bottom and may just drag along

You would be better off with a few milk jug's full of rocks then a carton as there is no top to keep the rocks in. if the water is 20' deep then you also want more then double for your line length.

grappling type anchors are nice cause they fold up nice and compact, but they can get snagged up on roots or drowned trees so badly you may have to cut the rope. happened to me a few weeks ago. i like the milk container or rubber boot idea.