Johnny Bass & CPguy II

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

My thumb was feeling a little better and decided to get some fishing in before my surgery. Gave CPguy (Jeff) a call and we set it up. Got to the lake about 6am.

Started targetting some early morning bass. Right off the hop I had equipment failure. The bail broke. Then I had a major birdsnest and I had very little line left on my spool. Still managed to catch a couple of fish. Jeff was doing pretty good catching alot of 1lbers and a few 2lbers but nothing picture worthy. Continued to work alot of slop and it was slow. We decided to target Musky.

Jeff wanted to show me some new Musky spots. It was supposed to rain and get real windy so we didn't head for Cpguy's pass(Musky alley from last week).We didn't venture too far. Now I had found 2 of my lucky lure(hard to find). Gave one to him and kept one.

I throw it out? BAM! Bring in a decent Musky.Good start.

016.jpg

Go for another pass? wack! After some acrobatic jumps?Bring in another small musky. Released without a pic.

CPguy decides to put the lucky lure on too.

Work some new water?CPguy says "hold on to your rod!"A few seconds later, on cue?Smash! This one's got some weight. It was running away from the boat and was wayyyyyy out. Tried to slow him down with no luck. Then he came to stop. Dead stop. Couldn't move him. Tried and tried with no luck. As I was trying to move him, he gave a violent head shake, did a flip, and the hooks pop out! All I see is the big tail hit the surface and submerge! I was pumped!

We continued covering water. I get another hit! This one I said I will not try to horse in. Problem is this one ran and ran till it buried himself in weeds, and the same thing. Hooks pop out and i am stuck with a bunch of weeds......It felt like a medium fish 36-38 inches.

I get ANOTHER hit. I bring this one right to the boat. Its a small one. It gets off on boat side. Good!

Now me and Jeff are using the exact same lure. I make a note that the guy on the inside of the weedlines is getting all the fish and suggest he take the inside.Sure enough? He gets a hit and brings one in! Its a small one but he's on board.

Then we are trolling and I get a hit! I said it felt like a pickerel. CPguy stops the boat and starts reeling in. Wack, he's got a fish on. Our lines are kind of crossed. So I'm thinking I felt CPguy's hit. I told him I felt the hit and it was a pickerel. He says this is no pickerel. I decide to reel mine in quickly. What do I have at the end of my rod? A pickerel!!!

JBwalleye.jpg

What does he have??? We see a massive figure emerge! Monster musky! I'm freaking out! I don't want to lose the fish for him so I'm waiting for the perfect time to net him. He was already really spooked, but CPguy was laying into him hard! With his Shimano compre he was not giving this guy any slack! Finally we got him in the net, and when I tell you the pics dont do this fish justice? They do not.

Here is the fish. I think it measured at 47 inches and it was thick as heck!!!CPGuy's get's his PB and I get dinner! What a double header!

muskie1.jpg

muskie2.jpg

And the release

023.jpg

I wonder if it was chasing down the pickerel?

After calming down and high fives and taking pictures, we continue to fish. Jeff says I sound like Barry on get hooked, the way I get excited(without all the exagerating.lol)

We were going over this particular stretch and I say this looks more like bass water and what did Jeff catch? Bass. We moved to another spot.

Then I get a hit? Its weeds. So I start trying to rip the weeds off and wack! I have a musky on. This guy just went crazy and some how cut the line. Bye bye last lure and leader. I had the line wrapped around the engine and may have frayed it some how! Then I had no luck but CPguy continued to catch average sized musky(another 3)on the lucky lure.

I think the score was I caught 2 lost 4 and CPguy caught 5. That's 7/11 ! What a great day for the books.

He also caught a nice pickerel and graciously gave it to me to eat with the other one.

Thanks for the pickerel! It was good!

028.jpg

Anyways, what a day! Thanks to CPguy(Jeff) for taking me out and having a phenomenal day! I hope you enjoyed the report!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

The thumb is not doing so well and surgery is on the 13 of August. The pain subsided(as long as no pressure is applied) but it is still sore and it cannot bend.

I think we did well considering we missed the morning bite for the Musky and were off the water by 3:30 and missed the evening bite!

We may have even lost count of the musky but I know we hooked 11 for sure.

I just found more of my lucky lures!!!