Trophy Walleye Of The Chapleau Game Preserve

solopaddler

I love fly in trips, who doesn't? It's an easy way to experience world class fishing.

Simply drive to the jump off point with your gear, hop in the plane and away you go.

Everything is taken care of: cabin, boats, motors, gas and more importantly the hard slogging of your gear through the bush is eliminated.

Alone on a fish filled lake, it's high octane angling distilled to its purest form.

However there's a cost. Not being independently wealthy I can't afford to fly in every time I want to experience world class angling.

Fortunately though there's always a DIY alternative for those who desire champagne fishing but are confined to a beer budget.

We're fortunate to live where we do. Ontario has countless thousands of untouched back lakes surrounded by crown land, brimming with fish.

Some are accessed via rough atv trail, most require some level of effort to reach them as there are no trails or portages.

All have one thing in common: fly in quality angling for the cost of some sweat equity and the gas to get you there.

Not sure where to start? Do what I do and call the MNR office in your area of interest and ask questions.

All of the district biologists I've spoken with over the years have been more than accomodating. Always pointing out several different lakes worthy of angling attention in their region.

This latest adventure began just that way.

The area directly north of Chapleau contains the largest game preserve in the world.

Not only does it teem with wildlife, but there are scores of largely untouched lakes if you're willing to put the effort into reaching them.

The biologist I conferred with gave me several interesting options and after scouring satellite images and topo maps I chose one.

His parting words on the phone would prove to be prophetic:

"This region is very much underutilized. We have a world class fishery here and trophy fish of all species are quite common....."

Music to my ears.

As usual Bill joined me on this latest quest. His desire to fish virgin waters only exceeded by his inhuman ability to consume massive quantities of hop based beverages and slug heavy loads through dense bush.

That's a combination of attributes that I can appreciate.

Bill is also a techie and a gadget freak. You might even say he's a super nerd, made up from parts of lesser nerds.

Being a super nerd has its benefits as young William had our entire route plotted on his state of the art handheld GPS.

This was great as it required no thinking on my part, something that I constantly strive for.

I drove alertly watching for bears as we entered the game preserve, my plans to feed them immediately dashed.

ChapleauWalleye127.jpg

ChapleauWalleye002.jpg

Bill navigated us through the maze of backroads snapping pictures enroute.

ChapleauWalleye006.jpg

ChapleauWalleye007.jpg

According to our research the lake we were to launch on was right beside the road. Literally.

It was with mild surprise that Bill said "Stop here, the lake should be right there!"

Faced with a seemingly inpenetrable wall of green I was skeptical of his navigation skills.

Still the lad insisted and who am I argue with technology?

We parked the truck and soon afterwards found the dim outline of a trail.

ChapleauWalleye009.jpg

ChapleauWalleye012.jpg

Quickly unloading we ferried our gear over to a little used launch and loaded the boat.

ChapleauWalleye014.jpg

This wasn't our destination though, merely the begining of what would prove to be a true test of our character and will.

Spirits were high as we motored across the small lake looking for a tiny inlet on the far side.

ChapleauWalleye015.jpg

We found the inlet and were pleasantly surprised to find enough water to poke our nose in.

ChapleauWalleye016.jpg

ChapleauWalleye017.jpg

The inlet ended at a literal wall of rock and wood, from here we would portage again.

ChapleauWalleye018.jpg

This particular portage was nasty but short, maybe 80m. After pulling, pushing, heaving and sweating we reached the next lake in our quest. This one considerably lower.

ChapleauWalleye020.jpg

We had a bit of a run down the lake to reach our final portage. The monotonus whine of the 2 horse dulling our senses and allowing us time to contemplate what lay in store.

ChapleauWalleye021.jpg

Obviously few if any people had travelled this route based on the (lack of) trail we had just humped over.

That one was short, our final portage would be 500m as the crow flies, a full half kilometer. Most likely much longer than that though as keeping a straight line in the bush is next to impossible.

Would the bush be open and easy to walk or dense and unforgiving?

Time would soon tell.

Bill using his GPS quickly found the closest point to our destination lake and we unloaded with haste.

It soon became apparant however that we weren't going anywhere fast.

ChapleauWalleye022.jpg

This portage, while far from the longest I've done, proved to be easily one of the hardest.

The entire 500m was dense bush. So dense that at any given time you couldn't see beyond 5 feet.

The first load we brought over our backpacks and a few smaller bags.

Nearing the lake there is a marshy bog.

The unsure footing and wet feet a small price to pay for a reprieve from the trees.

I think Bill agreed, you can see him waving at me here in this picture:

ChapleauWalleye024.jpg

Our first view of the lake was pure heaven and motivated us for the final push.

ChapleauWalleye025.jpg

We finally reached a small beach, unloading our packs and collapsing in a sweaty heap.

ChapleauWalleye027.jpg

While resting and rehydrating I walked down the beach and found this:

ChapleauWalleye028.jpg

An absoltely gargantuan pike carcass.

I laid my hat on top to give it some perspective, but that fish was easily over 20lb's.

Would it prove to be an omen? We weren't sure but it definitely motivated us to head back for our second load!

The problem now was we weren't just battling exhaustion it was also a race against the clock.

The sun was sinking low in the sky and I figured we had about an hour and a half to get two more loads over to the lake.

We went as fast as we physically could.

I won't sugar coat it, the 2nd load was even harder.

At one point I was slightly ahead of Bill who had the GPS.

Billy was sweating and grunting like an angry rhino, and when I yelled back "Which way should I go? You have the GPS!"

His response was "I DON'T CARE!".

Keeping ahead of the enraged beast I followed my nose and stumbled out onto the beach in a happy delerium.

At this point we were losing light fast and still had to go back for the canoe.

With Billy's spirits so low I figured we'd best set up camp on the beach and go get the boat early next morning.

To my eternal surprise when Bill finally did hit the beach he wanted no part of my plan, wanting instead to go back asap for the boat and get it over with.

I knew there was a reason I hang out with the guy...he's a trooper!

As mentioned light was fading so we each grabbed a flashlight and headed back through the dense thicket.

Did I mention it was dense?

It was far too dense to properly carry the boat overhead.

It was also too dense to simply drag it.

We had to hold the boat sideways then push, pull, heave and drag, squeezing it through the trees the entire way.

Nearing the end it was almost completely dark in the forest and we both began to experience severe leg cramps.

(That unfortunately was also a nasty preview of what was to come).

I dragged the boat out into the meadow, the lake in sight, when suddenly it happened.

I was in the front dragging when I stepped on a rotten log and was instantly swarmed by bees.

They nailed me a good 5 or 6 times before my tired brain told my feet to move and I backed away.

A truely perfect ending to a perfect portage. :)

We waited for the bees to calm then dragged the canoe madly the last couple hundred feet to the lake.

There was still a vestige of light remaining as I snapped this pic of Billy as he walked out into the lake, water bottle to his lips:

ChapleauWalleye030.jpg

With our strength fading faster than the daylight we loaded the boat as quickly as we could in search of a decent campsite.

Fortunately for us it was a perfect evening: no wind, no bugs, and no clouds.

Thank God for small favours.

About 1/2 a km up the lake we thought we could see a possible site on a prominent main lake point.

Flashlights in hand we made a beeline for it and were rewarded with a gorgeous compact little spot, mostly clear of trees with smooth granite rock sloping down to the water on all sides.

After firing up my mini lantern we set up camp hastily.

I pitched the tent while Bill went about creating fire.

In short order we were set up and comfortable.

While Billy rested his bones by the warmth of the blaze nursing an adult beverage or two, I cooked us up a huge pasta meal with a heavy rich meat sauce.

We needed to recoup a few calories.

ChapleauWalleye110.jpg

After such a long hard day and big meal it was time to hit the tent.

Billy went first settling into his sleeping bag like a bear in his cave.

I laughed at his grunts and groans while I finished my beer by the fire.

I figured he'd be out like a light in 10 mins then I'd crawl in.

Suddenly he unleashed an unholy sceech as his legs spasmed into cramps.

"Rookie!" I laughed at him.

He left the tent as I entered it saying he had to get up and walk it off.

I thought, "What's a little cramp? It can't be that bad? Right?"

I passed out shortly afterwards falling into a deep coma.

Roughly three hours later I awoke screaming like a little girl. LOL!

My legs cramping so badly it was bringing tears to my eyes.

Rightfully so Billy laughed at me.

"Sucks getting old doesn't it?" :)

It lasted for over 15 minutes, every muscle in both legs rippling in painful spasms.

Never, and I mean never before have I felt pain like that.

Lesson learned for next time though: salt tablets and lots of Gatorade!

The next morning amazingly enough we were up pretty early.

Bill grabbed a rod and proceeded to catch half a dozen hammerhandle pike off the point. Definitely a good start!

The campsite in full light was even nicer than we had thought.

ChapleauWalleye038.jpg

ChapleauWalleye036.jpg

ChapleauWalleye035.jpg

ChapleauWalleye040.jpg

While Bill fished I cooked up bacon, toasted some bagels and brewed us up some strong coffee.

ChapleauWalleye039.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but the instant coffee that Starbucks sells is incredible....and I'm fussy about my coffee. Tastes exactly like fresh brewed, I swear.

ChapleauWalleye076.jpg

'Course a little bit of Bailey's doesn't hurt either.

ChapleauWalleye041.jpg

Before starting to seriously fish we had one important task to take care of.

Not sure about you, but I hate warm beer.

It was hot and muggy and the surface temp of the lake was 72 degrees.

Not overly conducive to frosty cold beverages when you're in the bush.

Or is it?

Below the thermocline the lake water is ice cold.

Fortunately ours was a deep lake.

We filled a mesh bag with beverages and a rock or two to sink them and dropped them in 40' of water.

ChapleauWalleye054.jpg

Tied off one of my marker buoys to the rope and we were in business! :)

ChapleauWalleye042.jpg

Later that evening after hauling our brews from the depths they were so cold they hurt going down.

Definitely the catch of the day.

Shortly after that chore was completed we began to catch fish and didn't stop pretty much the entire time we were there.

The fish were found anywhere from 8-20' down.

We'd generally troll worm harnesses to find the fish, then lay a beating on them with a jig and worm.

The point in front of our campsite proved to be a walleye hotspot, one of the best on the lake.

Does it get any better than that?

ChapleauWalleye046.jpg

ChapleauWalleye043.jpg

ChapleauWalleye047.jpg

ChapleauWalleye045.jpg

They were thick bodied healthy looking fish.

Heck they were also incredibly aggressive as well oftentimes smacking large spoons that we cast and trolled for pike.

ChapleauWalleye056.jpg

ChapleauWalleye057.jpg

ChapleauWalleye059.jpg

With such a large average size and so many to boot it wasn't overly surprising when Billy finally cracked this gorgeous 31 incher!

I'm not much on weighing fish but we both guessed it was at least a solid 10.

I was happy for the lad. :)

ChapleauWalleye061.jpg

Of course all the big ones went back...

ChapleauWalleye066.jpg

The rest of the trip was a blur of walleye, cut and bleeding hands, and a whole lot of laughs.

ChapleauWalleye067.jpg

ChapleauWalleye068.jpg

ChapleauWalleye071.jpg

ChapleauWalleye079.jpg

ChapleauWalleye087.jpg

ChapleauWalleye092.jpg

Some heftier specimens would occasionally liven up the proceedings:

ChapleauWalleye082.jpg

ChapleauWalleye120.jpg

ChapleauWalleye118.jpg

ChapleauWalleye113.jpg

It kind of goes without saying that we did eat a few of 'em as well.

One of the best reasons to fish for the little devils. :)

ChapleauWalleye055.jpg

Our last night was like a scene from a postcard.

The sun set across the calm expanse of the lake dazzling us as shards of light bounced across the water.

As the sun sank low on the horizon and the moon rose the fish came alive.

We caught fish after fish 'till our arms tired.

ChapleauWalleye069.jpg

To this point I'd had a remarkable trip but hadn't been able to crack a fish over 10lb's.

It was the 11th hour for me and I rummaged in my box looking for something extra special.

With nightfall approaching it was time to start trolling stickbaits close to shore as the fish would be up tight to the structure and on the prowl.

I chose a Tennessee Shad Husky Jerk, one of my all time best producers and it came through again.

Rounding a main lake point I had a savage hit, knew instantly it was a big fish as well. They just have a certain way about them.

After a prolonged battle we finally slipped the mesh under her.

311/2"! Only half an inch longer than Bill's big fish, but fat!

Don't think I've ever seen such a large head on a walleye before either!

We guestimated between 12 and 13lb's and I don't think we were far off.

Pretty darned incredible fish for such a small northern lake!

ChapleauWalleye106.jpg

ChapleauWalleye104.jpg

What an incredible way to end the trip!

That night our apres fish was preceded by a couple of juicy steaks cooked over the open fire.

ChapleauWalleye073.jpg

Went to bed pretty damn happy (and no cramps either! :) )

The next morning we packed up and packed out.

Being quite a bit lighter this time we hauled everything over in 2 trips (thank the Lord).

Our packs were still pretty big though. :)

ChapleauWalleye125.jpg

'Twas still a tough go, but we managed wih aplomb.

Here's Billy tying a few sundries into my beaten and wreaked boat before we commenced the final drag out:

ChapleauWalleye126.jpg

We made it back to the truck with plenty of light left and just enough time to catch dinner in town.

What an amazing memory this trip will provide!

Was it tough? Heck yeah!

Would I do it again?

You better believe it!!

:D

Special thanks to Bill, you're a good man my friend.

Hope you enjoyed the tale,

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Mikey, as always a great trip I couldn't ask for better company. Lots and lots of laughs and as you said, all the pain was definitely worth it! That walleye you caught was easily the biggest walleye I've ever seen, the head was massive!!! I laugh just thinking about it..

Can't wait until our next adventure.