Pulling tubers on a bass boat?

mistaredone

Just wondering if it's advisable to use the d rings if that's what they are called to tow tubers/water skiers on my fiberglass bass boat?

When I say d ring I refer to the two rings on the back of the boat that are ment to tie the boat down to the trailer

My buddy is telling me we can grab a y rope and it will be fine. I'm just nervouse to risk a week of musky fishing to entertain people.

Thanks

While I havent done it on my fiberglass Ranger I have n my aluminum boat with no issues. What brand of boat is it? Look behind it and see if their is a plate if their is then it should be fine. Contact the manufacture they have the correct answer though.

Art

Just wondering if it's advisable to use the d rings if that's what they are called to tow tubers/water skiers on my fiberglass bass boat?

When I say d ring I refer to the two rings on the back of the boat that are ment to tie the boat down to the trailer

My buddy is telling me we can grab a y rope and it will be fine. I'm just nervouse to risk a week of musky fishing to entertain people.

Thanks

I have some strong opinions on this subject that I would be happy to share with you either by PM or over the phone. Based on a tragedy that occurred to a local family a year or two ago I wouldn't recommend it..

I have some strong opinions on this subject that I would be happy to share with you either by PM or over the phone. Based on a tragedy that occurred to a local family a year or two ago I wouldn't recommend it..

Please educate us all. The more knowlege we have the better. If there is a good reason why a bass boat should not be used for watersports, I would like to know.

Please educate us all. The more knowlege we have the better. If there is a good reason why a bass boat should not be used for watersports, I would like to know.

It's not the bass boat that is the problem. I wouldn't pull anyone, either on ski's or a tube, without a properly installed pole and tow rope.

Bass boats are not a good option for towing sports. They are a bit to fast in my opinion. I know my boat starts to fall off plane at about the 35 mph range. So that about as slow as I can go with my boat set up. Props for most bass boats are set up for max top end speed and by doing this you comprimise your hole shot to a degree. This is just compounded when your trying to get out of the hole while pulling a tuber or skier. Changing your prop is usually a must. I have done it a few times in the last 20 yrs but it is difficult to say the least. There will always be the guy that wants to get towed on a tube and wants to go 60 or more mph just for the rush factor. Stay away from that guy, don't do it. I had a guy last year ask me to take him behind my bass boat so he could barefoot ski. He said 60 would be about a good speed, I just looked at him as if he had two heads and firmly said NO.

Bass boats are not a good option for towing sports. They are a bit to fast in my opinion. I know my boat starts to fall off plane at about the 35 mph range. So that about as slow as I can go with my boat set up. Props for most bass boats are set up for max top end speed and by doing this you comprimise your hole shot to a degree. This is just compounded when your trying to get out of the hole while pulling a tuber or skier. Changing your prop is usually a must. I have done it a few times in the last 20 yrs but it is difficult to say the least. There will always be the guy that wants to get towed on a tube and wants to go 60 or more mph just for the rush factor. Stay away from that guy, don't do it. I had a guy last year ask me to take him behind my bass boat so he could barefoot ski. He said 60 would be about a good speed, I just looked at him as if he had two heads and firmly said NO.

x2

hole shot sucks and the speed to stay on plane is way too fast, i have a pole on mine some one installed in the rear casting deck for towing, i towed a couple times and no one liked it..then again maybe they were just chickens.

My only advise is to use a proper non-stretch ski rope, DO NOT use the yellow nylon stuff. Had some friends that were tubing and thought that it was no problem running with yellow nylon stuff, it was all good until the rope holding the centre pully broke. The pully shot back like a bullet almost taking the guy on tubes head off.