Future Fisherpeople

Reading the first part of Matt's Fishing Pressure thread, talking about dwindling numbers of fishermen, had me wondering how many guys and gals out there have kids/teenagers that are interested in the sport? More importantly if given the choice would your kids put down the video games for fishing?

i dont have kids but my baby cousins have had rods in their hands since they were 3 (7 now). they love their video games but if cousin alex says "bass?" the controllers get thrown to the ground as they scurry to grab their gear. lol

My boy loves it (he is 8 now) but is quick to let me know when he has had enough.

I know that letting him bring friends along will be the key to keeping him interested in the future, so I am mentally gearing myself up for that.

I know that in my own case my love of fishing was developed early but it fell in and out of favour through the growing years. I would say when it started to come back into vogue for me was when we started to get away as young men (19-30) to "fish" (read: drink & play cards). I got legitimate (buying a boat and spending boatloads of cash on the sport) three years ago, when the thought of having a long-term father/son thing started to blossom.

Jim

I have a 19 month old who wont let me show him how to use the rod.... Can't wait until hes wanting to catch fish/let Dad show him how its done. And I just found out yesterday I'm having a baby girl. So hopefully I'll have two future fishing partners!!!

. And I just found out yesterday I'm having a baby girl. So hopefully I'll have two future fishing partners!!!

Congrats!!!

Also good posts by Alex and Jim. Love the way the word "bass" triggers them, Alex.

Jim hit the nail on the head for that 6-12 age group...when enough is enough don't force them!!

Juli and I have her kids every other week, and we pretty much fish at least one day every week we don't have them. This long weekend we put the offer out to them (cleared it with her X first of course) that one could spend a day with us out on a Kawartha lake. It was great to see interest from all three, but, one of the twins was really "hyped" up about it. So, he is coming out first. We do take all three out at times, but, that one on one is important.

Congrats TC1OZ

My step son was brutal with video games, but since I have taken him hunting and fishing, he maybe plays once a month :clapping:. I have a 2 year old son and I take both my boys out every weekend to fish and they love it. We also have another on the way, the wife is due at the end of November.

I have a 7 year old nephew who loves fishing and I think it will stick with him for sure.

Also, when I'm out fishing I often see parents bringing their kids out to fish for an afternoon and it is always a good sight. Remember, patience is a virtue when teaching kids, and you need to prioritize them first - which I'm sure some people don't because they personally want to fish - this can ruin the sport for some (nothing is worse than hearing a parent or other relative yell at a 4 year old for getting snagged.)

I have three boys, two of them would drop anything to be taken fishing... Now wandering off on their own only one of them is at all interested. I have found him down at the dock often.

I hope as they get older they find as much enjoyment as their grandfather and I have found in fishing!

Got my 11 year old nephew as my fishing partner........we do some sort of fishing every weekend.

Just the other day we were having our own little tournament and i happened to go 1 up on him.........he all the sudden had to go to the bathroom and his stomach didnt feel well. I said lets wait 10 more minutes and we'll go, he got the next two fish and low and behold he felt much better.

Great stuff everyone!! I know I owe my love of fishing completely to my parents...both my mom and dad fished together from the time I was a little squirt up until now (he's 74, she's 68) they'll pick at each other when they're out there, like most old marrried couples, but they still do it. It is up to us to pass on the love of our sport, be the teachers, share the outdoors...and keep this amazing sport of ours alive and well. There are way too many groups out there that are trying to take it away from us.

There are no better words than hearing a kid say "when are we going fishing again?!?!!"!

Both of mine are grown up now. The son is a fishing junkie. The daughter leaves her gear with me, but will call me up with "Wanna go fishing Daddy?". Their friends have always been welcome to tag along fishing and camping. Always been happy to take neices and nephews fishing. Used to have a couple of fishing days planned for my cub pack every year, but the insurance rules put paid to that. TOOOOOO RISKY.

My great neice already has her first fishing rod. I still have to wait a year to see her use it. ( she's only one. The rod was a gag gift on the wedding day to remind them that uncle Bruce gets first dibs on corrupting the little ones :devil:

Tried unsuccessfully to get both my son and daughter interested in it. Just never turned them into fishermen. My daughter was showing real promise until she discovered boys :glare:

My grandson just turned 2 and I'm thinking next summer grandpa is going to take another crack at having another fishing partner.

Wish me luck.

I truly envy all who can count their kids as fishing buddies.