trolling motor for a 12' aluminum

codered

Hey guys

I'm looking to buy a new trolling motor for some small back lake fishing in a 12' aluminum boat.

I was thinking something in the 45# range.

I have heard that mincota traxxxis is the best bang for my buck.

Butt I am a little confused as to a 5 speed or a varriable speed

The way it was discribed to me was a 5 speed is a constant flow of energy .

Variable is a pulse so it conserves energy I was told it would save me 40% of my battery.

I am a little confused the differance is $259 for the 5 speed or $375 for the Variable...

Is it worth spending the extra money on the higher end modle?

or should I go a tottaly different root and buy a 55 pound enduro???

any help would be great.

Im going to buy one this weekend for a trip the following week...

Edited by CodeRed

what does 5x longer on a charge mean? A battery charging on a charger doesent have anything to do with a motor? :dunno:

am I missunderstanding something ... mabey i am stearing in the wrong direction...

Edited by CodeRed

what does 5x longer on a charge mean? A battery charging on a charger doesent have anything to do with a motor? :dunno:

am I missunderstanding something ... mabey i am stearing in the wrong direction...

It simply means you will have a much longer period of use of the motor from the battery. Pulse technology turns the motor "on and off" at a very high rate, not perceivable to us, but uses a lot less battery power. Don't forget to recharge the battery after each day of use, regardless of how little or how long you used it.

I have a Minkota...33lb thrust the variable modle only used about 3 times..used on a 12 ft tinny worked great..dont need it any more as I have a larger boat now..id like $175 for it if your interested..I paid near 300$ when I bought it...im near Brantford...St George area 519-448-3094

Edited by Greg14

I wouldn't worry too much about the charge lasting 5 times longer. I used to have a 14 foot/20hp tiller with a 28lb. thrust MinnKota. I could use the trolling motor all day long on a single charge. Seeing as you should charge the battery after each use anyway, having a charge left over from the first day of fishing becomes a useless point. Also many may suggest going as big as you can. The argument is that sometimes you may get caught in 4 foot waves and it's nice to have extra power, however, if you get caught in 4 foot waves with a 12' foot boat, you have bigger issues than how much thrust your trolling motor may have. There's no substitue for paying attention to the weather reports before heading out on the water.

I'd be taking up that offer on the 33lb. thrust offered by Greg14.