Walleye fishing with my wife! She got her PB 27"

limeyangler

Hi all,

We booked our childminder last week so we could head out in boat together for the first time in over 2 years. My buddy chuck made it a double date and he and his partner joined us in their boat. We kinda headed out in different directions once we hit the water, passing occasionally to swap fish counts, jokes, chattering nonsense and friendly verbal abuse....lol.

The spot is near Frenchman's Head on Lac Seul, and we tried to go round the Sioux Lookout/Hudson way round to avoid all the bush roads you take if you head from Dryden, definitely less stress on the boat/trailer/equipment as its all highway except for 15 kms, but it only left us 2 and 1/2 hours to fish as it took a long time to get up that way.

We found the spot 2 years ago after spending a whole morning trying to find a remote bush lake up that way only to find the trail to it was washed out and needed to find an alternate fishing spot.

We fished it twice 2 summers ago with good results, and today was not as good as the first time but better than the second time fish wise.

Its all weeds in the bay, so fishing can be awkward, i love rippin' weeds for walleye, but my wife struggled at first for 2 mins but thats how long it took for her first fish and she did not seem to mind after that. It took her about half an hour to work out what was weed and what was a bite. She got her PB walleye of 27", in fact that was the biggest fish of the day, with scores of 19-23" ers and our 8 under slot.

No fish over 18" were kept, and even the fish over slot ( you are allowed to keep one over slot each) were released to continue to make Lac Seul what it still is AWESOME!!!! WHY KEEP A 27"er when you already have 6 eater size on the stringer? (ps..if you fish Lac seul, rember to kill the fish before you put them on a stringer.....no live fish except bait allowed.)

Jigs and minnows as bait, fish moving out of the thicker weeds as the morning moved along and prefering a fast trolled action as opposed to vertical presentation, the jigs totally outfishing the walleye spinners my buddy and his partner were using.

My wife said she now really liked walleye fishing.....lol...she hated it before because she said we would wait all day for a couple of little fish, i guess thats what it was like when she last fished for them with me 3 years ago on Lake Wabigoon when we first moved here and i'd never even heard of a walleye before.....but i've learned a lot since then, and going to Lac Seul is a no brainer if ya want walleye.

HERE'S THE VID

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

HERE'S THE FISH MY WIFE SAYS IS "THE BIGGEST EVER" IN THE VIDEO

IMG_0445.jpg

NOT LONG AFTER THAT SHE UPGRADES HER PREVIOUS BIGGEST EVER WITH THIS BEAUTY 27"er PB!

IMG_0459.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

Buddy, that is fantastic stuff...congrats on a great day! The wife and I have been out for a just a few short hours this summer...but she is getting warmer and warmer on the idea of leaving the baby behind for an actual DAY. rolleyes.gif

Nice job on those 'eyes....keep it up!

Buddy, that is fantastic stuff...congrats on a great day! The wife and I have been out for a just a few short hours this summer...but she is getting warmer and warmer on the idea of leaving the baby behind for an actual DAY. rolleyes.gif

Nice job on those 'eyes....keep it up!

JB!....holy crappola...your on here even less than me these days.

Yup, it took a while for my wife to warm to the idea of leaving baby for any other reason than absolute necessity, but she has finally cracked and 2 days before we left she actually said she could not wait to get away with just me for the afternoon. I tentatively suggested we make it a monthly thing if possibly, she agreed very enthusiastically....COOL!

Yeah...new job has been keeping me quite busy...I'm rarely on the computer at home, and now that I have my weekends off, not even at home for most of those thumbsup_anim.gif

But I make sure I get on here enough to find your reports. A monthly fishing date...drooooolllllll cool.gif

Once the kids hit them terrible twos, wifey will be only too happy to pawn baby off on whomever she can. You, granparents, inlaws, total strangers.... :P Which is why the kids get fishing rods at that age.

Nice to have some adult play time though.

Great report as always.

Edited by bigugli

Guest Johnny Bass

Lady luck shines again. At this rate these women are going to start outfishing us.lol Its good to share your passion with your significant other.

I can see the guy really hates Merg engines.lol

I can see the guy really hates Merg engines.lol

Yeah JB...especially that one. Ever since he got it 2 years ago the shift to reverse wont work, he's had it back at the shop twice...told its good to go only for it to mess up first time out.

Chuck was really having a 'bad' day out there. His Merc packed in again, the trolling motor would not turn, and his new fishfinder was not working...again...after getting a new transducer cable sent to him as the original new one was faulty right out of the box.

To add insult to injury we were pulling in fish after fish right next to him and they caught 3 all day, but weve all had that happen before i'm sure

.....he was a little bit grumpy by 2pm....but a good sport considering.