I am losing too many pike !

splashhopper

I started targeting pike this this year for the first time and love the feel of them PULLING that line and running all over the place when INITIALLY hooked.

Then they seem to settle right down and i slowly start to bring them to me.

However, the past three outings, I lose them with VIOLENT tail walking head shakes at the shore or boat edge. :wallbash:

They are spitting the hooks right back at me as if to say :asshat: LOL

How long should I play these fish to make sure they are somewhat subdued?

I am using 30lb power pro(braid) with a 6-12 inch steel leader on the different lures. I use a spinning reel and 6.5 ft meadium stiff 2pc rod.

There is always a net with me when i am targeting these.

Any suggestions to improve my landing percentages is appreciated.

Thanks.

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

very sharp hook needed. Trailer hook could be very useful too.

I'm making a spinnerbait with a hook thats not in the jig head itself but attached by a split ring. This should help greatly with reducing shake offs by pike. I think they are able to throw the spinnerbait because of the weight leverage of the jig head. Of course now I have to pour my own jig heads from a custom mold.

oh and its bony mouth requires a firm hookset, harder than a bass.

Yeah you can't horse them to the boat. I just play it by eye. As soon as they see me up close and my buddy with the net they tend to freak, so I just let them out about 10-20feet by loosening the drag slightly.

Then reel in slowly and see what happens when it reaches near the boat again. Prepare for a tired pike or another run.

I had a pike just give up immediately on a hookset last year. So kind of be ready for anything. Proper drag setting is critical especially on the bigger ones. Don't be afraid to adjust drag slightly while fish fighting.

Edited by Syn

I would immediately change the rod to a 7 foot medium strength, fast action or even a medium-heavy, fast action rod. The added length of the rod will allow you to "sweep strike" more efficiently. The 30 lb test Power Pro is ok line but I would go to 40 or even 50 lb test Power Pro because the new non-stretch lines are notorious for breaking when subjected to hard sudden shocks. Yes....such a large line will reduce cssting distance if you are using a spinning reel. So if you are using a spinning reel, continue to use the 30 lb test line and when striking the fish, make sure that there is no loose line between the rod and the fish when it comes time to strike. Use a long strong sweeping strike.

Yes, pike are notorious for going into "relax mode" quite quickly after the initial strike. Here in the Saguenay, they do jump a lot and then become quite docile until the get near the boat. I don't fall for that unless it's a small pike.....I don't mind them getting unhooked near the boat. For the larger pike, I will often wave my baseball cap or do something to startle them when they come to the boat too easily.

Using a wire leader is a must.....unless you don't mind losing lures. However, I like to use at least an 18 inch leader made of very fine wire. Usually 12 to 15 lb test wire. Pike will often twist the line around them....usually near the end of the battle and non protected line can find it's way into their mouth or around their muzzle.

Hook quality is extremely important. Replace all the cheap hooks that are found on many lures. If the point of a hook can slip on your thumbnail.....it's not sharp enough.

I do try to "double set" the hook after I get them...

And I "think" i am working the drag enough.

The head shake is what I don't know how to handle... I "think" i have the line taught at all times with the rod tip up... but then... ZINNNNG goes another lure right by my head :tease:

I do try to "double set" the hook after I get them...

And I "think" i am working the drag enough.

The head shake is what I don't know how to handle... I "think" i have the line taught at all times with the rod tip up... but then... ZINNNNG goes another lure right by my head :tease:

I just loosen my wrist a bit to have more rod give for the head shake. As soon as the quick head shake stops, I firm up my wrists. Keep a good hand grip on the rod at all times though. Also I never get into a situation where I have the rod loaded up too much (say 1/2 bend rod) because if the lure slips it comes back at me at 100 mph.

Now using a 8'6" XH rod so it can handle the biggies without too much rod bend. Was using a 7' med-heavy previously but that looked like an ultalight rod when I'd have a pike or muskie over 40". Also it sucked at throwing 2oz+ lures, so a heavier action rod was needed. It being longer was a bonus too.Now I can get even deeper on the figure "8"'s.

Edited by Syn

With your rod tip high, you're inviting them to the surface. It makes for a good show and lots of fun but there is a reason why bass pro's fight thier fish with the rod low and constant pressure/retrieve. They don't want them to jump and shake loose. When they want to come up, try a side arm retrieve with the rod tip low and heavy pressure at all times. You'll need a rod that can handle this abuse.

With your rod tip high, you're inviting them to the surface. It makes for a good show and lots of fun but there is a reason why bass pro's fight thier fish with the rod low and constant pressure/retrieve. They don't want them to jump and shake loose. When they want to come up, try a side arm retrieve with the rod tip low and heavy pressure at all times. You'll need a rod that can handle this abuse.

If I switched over to a 10 ft spinning rod that I have( that can handle BIG trout) would this help... the only challenge being that it is very light tip on it... so might not be able to drive those hooks home :unsure:

If they are doing a headshake with a large heavy plug or spoon and their head is out of the water I think it is better to let the line go slack. I believe the rule long ago was to bow to the fish on a jump, think it is easier to throw the lure out of the water as there is less resistance air vs water.

edit:the weight of the lure is used more to their advantage out of the water on a headshake.

Edited by dave524

If I switched over to a 10 ft spinning rod that I have( that can handle BIG trout) would this help... the only challenge being that it is very light tip on it... so might not be able to drive those hooks home :unsure:

Leave that at home, it's not going to help you...

What's your drag set like? I'd rather have the drag a bit loose then too tight.. I had no issues landing multiple pike over 40inches on a 7ft medium power/fast action Avid, with 20lb PPro and a Shimano Calais 200. It's a lot more fun on that type of setups instead of a 8ft meat stick (I know, I used both and put away the muskie gear after the first day)

Also, if they are still green don't even attempt to land them. Keep you line tight!! If the hook pops, it pops. But don't give the fish any sort of advantage... It will amaze you how a toothy critter like that can dull hooks.. Keep a sharpener handy and check your hooks often...

Edited by BillM

Assuming you're fishing around London....an Medium Heavy setup would work quite nice for you as most pike I've seen are in the 2-5lb range. Sounds like you have everything else setup well.

slopoke's tips on keeping the rod down should help as well. Sounds like you're getting into them well though.

No, a 7' to 8' Medium/Fast is fine and fun... For upping your landing percentage? If I could choose a rod off the rack I'd pick a 7' Med-Heavy with an extra fast tip.

The key is; if they want to come up, keep 'em down and if they want to go right, turn 'em to the left etc.

Keeping the rod tip down also means of they spit the hook it hits the boat, not your eyeball.

I had similar results on opening day..... lost 3 near the boat on a spinnerbait and it spit it right at me tail walking head shaking. My drag was set correctly but the rod tip was too high.

Like slowpoke said, keep your rod tip down when it gets near the boat or shore and keep constant line pressure.

Next time I'm going out for pike will be using this modified spinnerbait

DSC04165.jpg

Added a trailer 4/0 Octopus hook on an O ring with added piece of plastic tube to hold it in place.

Leechman

Just stick with what you're doing.

Here's my pike setup, and I land a very high percentage of the ones that hit:

7" Medium St. Croix

Reel with drag set loose to medium

15lb Power Pro with 12lb Rio Fluoro Leader Mat.

Modified Trilene Knot.

This deals with Georgian Bay Pike. It should handle pike in the London area.

Slowpoke has some sweet advice there as well.

Ryan

Guest LivingLegend

All i can say is, as soon as that Pike has its head out of the water ur in the danger zone of losing it. I like to try and keep the pike uner water and if his head is popping out, I will have my net under it quick!good.gif