17# Fluorocarbon Breaking

EC1

Good evening all,

Being relatively new to this fluorocarbon deal, I was wondering if anyone could offer me up some knowledge that they have with this stuff. Recently, I bought some of the new Stren Fluorocast in 17# for something along the lines of $10 for 200 yds. I was thinking that even if the stuff was bad, I wasn't throwing away $20-30.

I tied this stuff up as a leader, with an albright to connect to 30# braid, and that knot has been flawless for me as of yet.

What I am finding is that on two occasions I've lost a very good fish (I'm guessing in the 4# range) breaking very cleanly somewhere at or near the knot.

When horsing a fish out of heavy weeds, should I expect 17# fluoro to break or am I just using a bad Fluoro?

Don't know if it matters but I'm usually breaking off on 5/0 Gamakatsu EWG's with a 5" senko.

I did end up with a couple of smaller fish, largest being in the 3# range.

4802848707_75ae11eec2.jpg

4803478510_660d4fac1a.jpg

if you're sure your knots are solid, that line would be finding it's way to the nearest garbage bin

also, keep in mind that leader fluoro is a different animal than fluoro main line. still, you should not be breaking 17lb line on 4lb bass.

What have you used before with your braid? Mono or did you direct tie the braid?

Could be your knot. Hard to say.

Your style or fishing combined with your rod/braid combo may not suit the pound test fluoro. Could you have been overconfident in the fluoro and "horsed" the fish?

I'm sure a few more people will offer some advise, good luck. It's no fun to lose fish. :Gonefishing:

Hm, I'm almost confident my knot should be pretty good, I've been using that fish what fool knot, the attention checkout girl guy's knot. The knot where it's a uni knot doubled over at the eyelet.

Before this, I tied directly and never found problems like this, so I was wondering whether I'm using a very bad fluoro, or that 17# test is too light, or I should just give up on fluoro as a leader for now.

As for my so called "horsing the fish in" is just to bring it out as fast as possible, because I'll have a pound or two of salad that comes with the fish

Edited by EC1

Fluoro is different than mono in the fact that you have to be careful when cinching down your knots. Make sure you lubricate and wet the line before pulling tight on the knot, and make sure you're pulling it s-l-o-w-l-y, as the heat created from the friction will weaken the line to a point where it might fail like your case.

Anyhoo, by looking at the background in your pictures it doesn't seem that you need fluoro in those conditions. That heavy slop/pads should only require straight braid only to pull back the fish along with the salad. I personally wouldn't even bother with any kind of leader in the slop, as you're giving bass that slight chance of getting away.

If you're going to still use fluoro, spend the money and get something of quality (XPS, Trilene 100%, Sunline, etc.)

I'll think you find the line is crap, $10 is way to cheap for flurocarbon, i use the berkely 100% 6 pnd test, tubing in erie and i findit stronger than 15-20 mono,also if your using it for leader, just buy the fluro leader line,best knot in my opinion is the palamar knot, never had it fail and very easy to retie, i'm betting the line is crap, try the berkley 100%.

30lb braid and 17lb flouro will not tie together very well 17lb flouro is a larger diam line than the braid I use 17lb flouro with 65lb braid with a back to back uni and that was failing once in awhile. I now use a small BB swivel to tie my leaders on and have never had a problem and I use it for pitching chiggercraws into heavy cover on a heavy action rod and set the hook hard and crank em into the boat. my flouro is trilene 100% in the gold pack I have it in 6,8,10 and 17lb it's really strong and not to bad for price like $23ish for 200yards I think. braid to flouro can work but the differance in diameter makes it hard to tie knots that are strong. I use a polomar knot with the braid on the swivel and a improved clinch on the flouro to the leader and bait.If your not fishing really clear water your not gonna notice that much diff than if your using a green braid tied right to the bait. I use flouro only in clear water situations and still catch a tonne of fish on straight braid but no ??? flouro has it's place keep trying stuff and you will figure out what works best for you.

There is no reason to use a floro leader when fishing largies in the slop. They are not line shy and you are just looking for trouble with break-offs etc when setting the hook and horsing them out. I just tie direct to 30 or 50 lb braid and never have to worry about the issues you are having. A heavy action 7 ft rod combined with your drag locked down and your good to go. I like the way the braid cuts the pads when fighting a fish also. And if I have to use floro for whatever reason as a leader I always use a small swivel to connect the two lines.

Any knot is a weak point and should be tested before putting your lure in the water. And really test it. Try to make it fail. If you can break it, chances are so can a fish. I really don't like tying on flouro leads. Id rather use straight up mono, flouro or braid. The problem with tying on leads is that you are adding more knots. More knots is more weak points. More snap offs!

It is possible to weaken your line by not wetting it when pulling the knot tight. However to have it happen over and over suggests that the fluorocarbon line is faulty.

Last winter I had to break off a deep snag while using 20# BPS fluoro. Between line stretch and the strength of the line, I couldn't do it! I wound-up putting the motor in gear and using the boat to break the line!

Your water always tended to be clearer up there than most of the waters I have fished here, and I still never saw a valid reason to switch to floro for fishing slop. I didn`t even use braid 17# test original Stren worked well for me, no problems with knots, I do wet the line before I pull them tight.

A 4-5 pound bass shouldn`t be causing the line to break, a 40+ inch muskie or pike maybe. Run your fingers down the last foot and a half of line from time to time, if you feel knicks? cut and retie!

Light wire hooks are not a good choice if you want to put fish in the live well,you can bend them pulling a pig from cover.

Some line I have tried is junk right out of the box, find one that works and stuck with it, less headaches that way. Every extra knot in your line can be a potential problem.

LOL Garry, always nice to have line heavy enough breaking it is a problem?

I dont beleive its the line. I have 4 Heavy Cover combos with the exact same size and line on them and have not had a problem as of yet. I do my knots every hour usually or in an around there. Any time you have a connection point you will occur breakage no matter what you do. I'm on the water almost 4-5 times a week and actually love this line. Price has nothing to do with it. When fishing heavy cover its always a good thing to re check everything as even lillys will cut your line no matter what you do. This Stren is a manageable casting type floro. What I would suggest is that you buy a high abrasion floro which is different. I fish every type of floro and have yt to find one that covers all areas of fishing and still cast easy. Stren was designed to cast very easy and what it states on the box it has been doing for me. Not every floro is the same. If you ant some floro as leaders. I would suggest buying just that, Leader material. That Floro is different. Much stronger and designed for just that.

dont listen to smalliefisher... he knows nuthing! :rolleyes: lol no, hes correct. each flouro is different. but if ur fishing heavy cover like u said, and showed in ur pic... just tie on 65lb braid, and no leader. u really dont need a leader in that case.

Thanks for all of the tips guys!

As for the fluoro I bought, it's going to go in the trash for now. Gotta get myself some good fluoro.

As for my connection knot, it seems to be the better of the two knots. It seems to be strong enough, and remains in a very low profile so that I barely even notice it when it's reeled into the guides. I'll try the swivel idea soon too.

Just tie direct to the braided IMO.

I know guys who swear by the use of flouro, or even mono leads but they don't catch any more then I do...

Also if the braid is "SO" noticable...why don't the fish see the hook, or the fake lure for that matter LOL?

Seriously,

For what your doing....my advice is to loose the leader.

Cheers,

Part of the issue with straight braid is that snags can be next to impossible to get out of, particularly if you're fishing rock structure.

Nah,

Just hold the rod level hold down the drag and pull slowly....she'll give up the ghost or haul in your rock ;)

Good point BTBM I hauled in a huge chunk of lumber because I couldn't break the 65lb braid I was using and I was shore fishing so I gey close and cut it I was cursing really loud LOL

Yesterday before the storm I was fishing the grand and I hauled in a 4' metal pipe - thing is, I was using a leader too - I guess my knots are alright eh?

Well, I am confirming that this line is never going to be seen on my rods again. After making a trip today to the same spot after hearing about a tough bite, I was told amongst 6 people, the only guy using fluoro was able to catch fish. :dunno:

So I tied on some more of this stren onto my rods, broke again at the hook knot so I'm either gonna get myself some seaguar or xps. But yes, for the most part, I am going to go without a leader when fishing the pads.

Why not try using leader material for your leaders, instead of mainline? Also mismatching line diameters will cause your braid to cut the fluoro knot.

I only use Seaguar Blue Label or Froghair, and connect my braid to fluoro with a Triple Surgeons Knot. If I'm fishing 30lb braid on a baitcaster, it's 20lb fluoro lead if needed. 30lb on spinning, 15lb fluoro. 20lb braid on a baitcaster, 15lb fluoro.

Using the above formula I've never had any problems.