Plain-clothes MNR officers witness illegal fishing

Spiel

Cochrane man fined $1,500

July 13, 2010

MNR News Release / www.timminstimes.com

A Cochrane man has been fined a total of $1,500 for illegal fishing.

Larry Prevost was fined $750 for fishing in a fish sanctuary during the closed season and $750 for catching and retaining walleye over the specified daily limit. He is also prohibited from fishing until January 1, 2011, said a news release today from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR).

Court heard that on May 15, 2010, Prevost was fishing at the Little Abitibi River-McQuibban Township fish sanctuary. While trolling from his vessel at Pierre Lake, Prevost entered into the fish sanctuary on several occasions. A surveillance team of plain-clothes MNR officers were on the scene and saw Prevost catch and retain nine walleye, some of which he gave to other anglers who were fishing next to his vessel.

Justice of the Peace Dolores Boyuk heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Cochrane, on June 17, 2010. The ministry reminds the public that Ontario's walleye population is highly sensitive to angling during the spawning season. Fish sanctuaries are put in place to protect fish populations during their most sensitive period. Also, any fish caught and retained, including fish given to another person, are part of the daily catch and retain limit. Any fish taken illegally are unlawful for another person to possess.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry officer during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Just the article being published is good - it keeps it in the back of people's minds and $1500 is a lot of gas or tackle or rods.

He also had to be embarrassed in court & his community and he had to miss a day of work. The punishment suits the crime, though I can't help but feel he'll be out there doing it again as soon as he can.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hell just stand on the Credit any day during salmon season.....rip rip snag snag...and ah yes cut open take row.... and live release....

This is when the fisherman can help and call the MNR hotline and invite them out for a day of fundraising.

Art

This is when the fisherman can help and call the MNR hotline and invite them out for a day of fundraising.

Art

The problem here Art is,we dont have enough manpower (MNR)

You would think by reading these boards,the MNR would have enough to back up thier need for more resouces,to our goverment :canadian: .

No I agree Brian we have DNR and they are stretched thin however if they get a few calls from one area they will change up their routine and send a boat out to check the area. I even had DNR on my boat last year where they were posing as fisherman and then radioing a boat hidden in a cove near by. We caught more fisherman than fish that day. :clapping:

Art

It's kind of ironic that a dude can get charged for fishing without a license, go to court and be sentenced to not being allowed to have a license for a year. Why don't they just leave him alone? He already doesn't have a license! :)

It's kind of ironic that a dude can get charged for fishing without a license, go to court and be sentenced to not being allowed to have a license for a year. Why don't they just leave him alone? He already doesn't have a license! :)

Exactly lol. When I was in high school they suspended me from school for 3 days because I skipped math class too many times. lol. I was getting 95 percent in math at the time.

Edited by Grimace

• 1 month later...

Cochrane man fined $1,500

July 13, 2010

MNR News Release / www.timminstimes.com

A Cochrane man has been fined a total of $1,500 for illegal fishing.

Larry Prevost was fined $750 for fishing in a fish sanctuary during the closed season and $750 for catching and retaining walleye over the specified daily limit. He is also prohibited from fishing until January 1, 2011, said a news release today from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR).

Court heard that on May 15, 2010, Prevost was fishing at the Little Abitibi River-McQuibban Township fish sanctuary. While trolling from his vessel at Pierre Lake, Prevost entered into the fish sanctuary on several occasions. A surveillance team of plain-clothes MNR officers were on the scene and saw Prevost catch and retain nine walleye, some of which he gave to other anglers who were fishing next to his vessel.

Justice of the Peace Dolores Boyuk heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Cochrane, on June 17, 2010. The ministry reminds the public that Ontario's walleye population is highly sensitive to angling during the spawning season. Fish sanctuaries are put in place to protect fish populations during their most sensitive period. Also, any fish caught and retained, including fish given to another person, are part of the daily catch and retain limit. Any fish taken illegally are unlawful for another person to possess.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry officer during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

wow ! that makes me sick to my stomach when i hear about anglers who just dont think of the future....light sentence wish i was the judge i would lock him up for 30 days lol

Can u tell me where all the mnr officers are when it comes to the salmon run???? im up here at the credit river and i was appalled by all the dead cut open salmon that i seen everywhere! Where are these guys when this happens and can i do anything about it if i see it happening????

thank you guys

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow ! that makes me sick to my stomach when i hear about anglers who just dont think of the future....light sentence wish i was the judge i would lock him up for 30 days lol

Can u tell me where all the mnr officers are when it comes to the salmon run???? im up here at the credit river and i was appalled by all the dead cut open salmon that i seen everywhere! Where are these guys when this happens and can i do anything about it if i see it happening????

thank you guys

Big deal !

Yet I've seen members of certain identified minority groups out there with gill nets in broad daylight netting fish by the dozens and nothing said.

When the rule of law applies to everyone in Ontario equally I will applaud.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, and Monsieur Clampett is back but hey, we're watching. :)

I didn't catch the gist of your comment the first time I read it.

If that's supposed to hint that I'm a banned previous member that has returned under another "handle" you're dreaming in technicolor.

I have never been a member on this forum before signing up for this account.

So let's get that misconception dealt with right off the getgo. :oops: