if you tow with a mid-size SUV

Raf

1000lbs? that's pretty light. You won't need a V8 for the that. Any of the 6cylinders should tow that with ease.

Heck I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot (4x4) and I tow a 16' fiberglass bass boat with a 75hp Suzuki Outboard with ease and it only has a 2.4L 4cyl (172 hp / 165 ft-lbs). Mind you it doesn't tow like a 6 or 8 cylinder but it is rated to tow a max of 2000lbs :)

I pulled my DV17 Tracker with a 1995 Jeep GC with the inline 4litre 6 and was fine, lots of low end tourqe, I now pull with another Jeep GC LTD with a 5.7 HEMI and you dont even know the boats there, if you have to get out and pass slow moving vehicles HEMI all the way, the inline 6 was a bullet proof motor with many showing over 400,000 kms and still on the road,

Is this the jeep with the dual exhaust on the middle back? Where did you put the hitch? I thought these were only for show and not meant to tow b/c they are supercharged? I heard these are beasts.

I have a Princecraft 177 super pro, with a 115hp merc. galvanized trailer, been pulling it around for years, all over Ont. Que. and U.S.(probably 1200-1500 lbs.) Had 3 Explorer's all V8's and no problem. I presently pull it with a GMC Envoy 4litre straight 6 and no problem what so ever. Gas mileage, believe it or not, was better with the V8 but RPM's and towing/pulling out of the launch are very similar. If towing with the Explorer do not tow with the Overdrive engaged! I learnt this the hard way, tranny problems in Wawa. No problem after I learned that expensive lesson. Hope this helps you.

Is this the jeep with the dual exhaust on the middle back? Where did you put the hitch? I thought these were only for show and not meant to tow b/c they are supercharged? I heard these are beasts.

Your thinking about the SRT8 which has the exhaust in the middle and yes they are beasts. I believe the SRT8 has the 6.1L HEMI. There were limiteds that have the 5.7 HEMI

I tow a 16 foot Lund w/ 90 4 stroke, boat, motor and trailer are under 2000 lbs barely. I have been driving a 05 Nissan Xterra since winter 05/06 and its been a great tow vehicle. 265 hp V6 4.0L, tough on gas IF you drive it hard, but not to bad if you take it easy. 80 L tank I can tow about 450 KMs on the hwy, maybe 600 not towing. The Xterra is one of the few SUVs thats not a glorified station wagon. Full frame, solid rear axle. 170,000 Kms and still drives like new, 4 wheel dics brakes are nice for stopping too! The only thing that might keep me from buying another one is I miss having a pick-up.

I would have to say I am in the same boat as Pigeontroller on this one. I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. It is a beast! It too is quite hard on gas, but she tows like a dream. Real deal 4X4 that has never left me stranded and the reliabilty is unsurpassed. I currently have 230,000k on it right now, and the motor still runs like new. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! I have not had to put one cent into this thing beyond your usual maintenance items like oil changes, brakes, tires etc. Same story on the buying new one as well though. I love the Pathfinder, but I am looking at pickup trucks as my next purchase. I have an ATV and a boat. I would like to take both with me on occassion and the Pathfinder does not allow for this.

Ab

I have an older Grand Cherokee with the 318. Will pull the load your talking with ease. My Dad has used it to tow his 25" cuddy cabin, but that is pushing it brake wise. Power wise ... no problem.

Edited by Banger68

I can't help on the vehicle but the rods can just hang out the back of smaller box trucks. I have a folding tonnue cover and my rods hang out the back and then I wrap them just to be sure they don't get banged up. If you put one of thoughs big caps on the back of a pick up you could still use it to crash in and storage. Not sure what those caps are called the ones that have windows.

go fullsize or go home...

i've got an 00 Envoy - it's small and gutless... pulls both the 16.5 aluminum and 18 fiberglass but it's gutless

next vehicle is gonna be a full size pickup v8, 4 fullsize doors and an 8ft bed

do it once, do it right...

i drive an 07 xterra and absolutely love it. my last suv was an 04 xterra and before that i had an 01 pathfinder.

i have to say the 07 xterra is much nicer than the 04 xterra and the pathfinder was very similar in a way to the 07 xterra. i absolutely love my 07 xterra, it tows the boat easy and has given me no probelms at all. i drove my 01 pathfinder to 370,000 on the orginial clutch and with little to no maintanence.

you should def check out what nissan has to offer.

I tow my 18.5 bass boat, fully loaded with gas and gear behind an old Dodge Ram 1500.

I always tow in OD and have done so for 300,000 klm. with no problems.

I have replaced a Cat-converter and a power steering pump, but the old 5.2L (318CID) engine is stone axe reliable and still going strong.

On the downside...It is hard on gas...15 MPG. or less.

I am due for a change and would like an SUV this time. Right now I am leaning toward the Toyota Highlander. Honda's are rust buckets, for long term owners like me, and in the past I have found Nissan seats too small and quite uncomfortable.

I don't go "Off Road" although some of the boat ramps I use might challenge the 32 inch wheel set...grin. I really like the idea that it is Camry based. My last car was a Camry and I'm sure it was the best car I ever owned! Not flashy, but well laid out and completely reliable.

Raf.. I don't care what you buy... just make sure the damn thing has mirrors on it that you can actually see behind the boat. After todays ride home from the lake I'm sick and tired of :asshat: that are pulling pontoon boats with Honda CRV's and stock mirrors! IDIOTS !

Edited by irishfield

Another nod for the Subaru. I've towed a small 14 ft tinny with it and you hardly knew it was there and the AWD is flawless in all weather conditions and at the launches.

Now I use a 02 4Runner. It's a workhorse. Fully loaded with a 16.5ft Lowe w/ 50Hp motor and again, no probs.

I currently own/tow with a Jeep Cherokee and am starting to look at replacing it. 4x4 is a must. Boat, motor & trailer I'd estimate at around 1000lbs so it's not a big load.

Vehicles I am considering are early-mid 2000s model years:

Another Cherokee

Grand Cherokee w/V8 - I think the I6 is underpowered for the GC.

Chev/GM Jimmy

Ford Explorer

I am not too familiar with the import offerings (pathfinder/4runner - i don't think honda has anything -- CRV is too small)

I have an 04 GC V8 Limited...Tows really good but sucks down Gas really good too... I averaged 16L per 100 this past weekend towing my 18 foot heavy fiberglass boat up to bancroft and back..... Cost me 98$ back and forth :(

I really like it but next SUV , will need to be more $$ on the gas

I'll put up a vote for the Ford Explorer. I've had my Expedition for 6 years now and it's a beast. I pull a 17.5 Crestliner and have had up to a 24' Sylvan behind her and you'd hardly know you have anything on the hitch. My buddy hauls a big family camper all over ontario in his Explorer V6. This was my first Ford and I was nervous about the reputation on Ford. Little did I know that on the truck side they make a darn good product. I went straight to my 2 mechanics that I've been dealing with for years and they had very high praise for reliability and low cost of repairs.

Direct quote from the guy who does my oil changes - You can't hurt a ford truck

In 6 years, here's my service history

regular oil and transmission checks/service

ONE complete brake job and getting close to probably a second

2 sets of tires

some electrical bugs on the security system

1 12V plug that doesn't work anymore ( I probably could fix that)

210,000 km and going strong

Only drawback - They like stopping at gas stations

Edited by Fang

I have a 2007 Ford Escape 3.0 lit. v6. (3500lbs. towing capacity)

Lots of power to tow our 16 foot boat.

Could hardly feel the 14 footer behind me.

I also tow my utility trailer with it. Custom built (by me) 5.5 x 10ft. with a 3500lb axle.

Dang trailer probably weighs over 1000lbs. empty.

Never a problem towing.

My lease is up in November and I'm looking for either another Escape or similar sized SUV.

Quite a few people I know have Ford F150 pickups and swear by them. That's another option. I like the 5 door (4 door + tailgate) model.

Jeep Grand Cherokees used to come with a diesel engine. Something to consider if you want used 4x4, need lots of torque & still get decent fuel economy.

Good luck !!!

I've also been looking at suvs/crossovers for a while now. We only have a Pontiac G6 and the Xterra is exactly what we've been looking at. I don't have a boat or a camper (yet) but plan to have one of the two in the next 2 years so I need one to pull it and fit all my kids crap in the back lol. We have a 10 month old and I'm glad everyone here has confirmed my thoughts on it. Thanks!