Pointe au Baril

tmleafs26

So I decided to book a cottage on Georgian Bay, in Pointe au Baril area.

Has anyone fished this part of the bay? I know its huge, and there are alot of options.

What is the "general" or "common" theme of fishing :Gonefishing: Georgian Bay, any set of rules or suggestions?

im thinking live bait is the way to go especially with the variety of different fish (musky, pike, bass, pickerel, perch, etc.) :Gonefishing:

Would Love to hear some tips or suggestions. :blahblah1:

Thanks

TMl26

:thumbsup_anim:

Where are you staying? General rule number 1, watch for rocks. It has been a long time since I was there, some rocks in the water are marked with jugs an other devices, some aren`t. There are a lot of islands so be sure of your location, a good map will help a beginner there.

Live bait will work, often had to use it while fishing with women and kids, lures will also work well though. Fish shallow 6 feet or less early or late in the day, weed edges mid day. Or just break lines if no weeds are present.

Just about any lures that work for bass else where will work there, and not just for bass. My biggest walleye came there slow rolling a spinner bait down a weedy point.

Silver and black back rapala`s or perch finish, 7 inch will catch a lot of different species, cast or trolled. Largemouth and smallmouth and you can catch them deep in the same areas at times, 15-20 feet, plus a mix of other fish.

I will be up there in a week, but have been before. Tons of submerged rocks that will destroy a boat lol, some are marked some aren't. Live bait has always worked great for me. And I agree with the perch lure finish.

yes, he is talking about the shoals and table rock. but unless you know the area, you are not going to know its called table rock and you are not going to make it there without at least drifting into a rock. when you come out past the lighthouse it looks close and easy but you will soon find out its not as easy as it looks.

you CAN'T rely on GPS in the shoals, only eyes, and even they will fail you out there. if you want that experience, head out through Hemlock which is connected to the hole in the wall (not the parry sound one). The channels back into Frenches Bay are much more clearly marked and a lot safer to navigate.

Ask someone in town (probably at Evoy's or Payne's) where Chicken channel or you-go-i-go is and head up there. They are all amazing to places to go and with a map and some common sense you can get to them. prepare for an entire day exploring and hitting spots.

As for fishing, good luck on musky, your best shot is pick and small mouth and largemouth in the back bays in the eve and early morn.

Pickeral are not the easiest fish to come by in July up there. actually any time of year for that matter. the area has been so heavily fished in the past 10 years and so many people have kept everything they caught, it has really hurt it.

i have fished the area for the first 21 years of my life all summer every summer and guided it when i was 15. its a challenge.

hey and if anyone has ever stayed at Camp Georgian before it was bought by the park, hit me up. My parents used to own it. Maybe there are some people on here from the past.

yes, he is talking about the shoals and table rock. but unless you know the area, you are not going to know its called table rock and you are not going to make it there without at least drifting into a rock. when you come out past the lighthouse it looks close and easy but you will soon find out its not as easy as it looks.

you CAN'T rely on GPS in the shoals, only eyes, and even they will fail you out there. if you want that experience, head out through Hemlock which is connected to the hole in the wall (not the parry sound one). The channels back into Frenches Bay are much more clearly marked and a lot safer to navigate.

Ask someone in town (probably at Evoy's or Payne's) where Chicken channel or you-go-i-go is and head up there. They are all amazing to places to go and with a map and some common sense you can get to them. prepare for an entire day exploring and hitting spots.

As for fishing, good luck on musky, your best shot is pick and small mouth and largemouth in the back bays in the eve and early morn.

Pickeral are not the easiest fish to come by in July up there. actually any time of year for that matter. the area has been so heavily fished in the past 10 years and so many people have kept everything they caught, it has really hurt it.

i have fished the area for the first 21 years of my life all summer every summer and guided it when i was 15. its a challenge.

hey and if anyone has ever stayed at Camp Georgian before it was bought by the park, hit me up. My parents used to own it. Maybe there are some people on here from the past.

Completely right about the shoals, we had a guide, and wow there is some very dangerous areas. Never heard of chicken channel, but I have been to hole in the wall

Edited by LegitFish

as muskymike put it.It is a challenge,many surprizes,I know!Venturing out of bayfield inlet in search of pickerel and musky,watching out for rocks as well.Going threw the naiscoot river in a tinner to reach pickerel pot from the pond of off 522(A)(i think). A memorable venture in my teens,

My advice is not to even bother fishing for Musky.. its very challenging..

This past weekend I fished about 12 hours for Musky around Pointe au Baril, in great Musky spots, and didn't even have a follow..

Pike and Bass are everywhere though.. try weedy and rocky areas that are near deep water, and I'm sure you'll lay into some nice ones..

Hey guys thanks for the input.

Im staying at Pleasant Cove Resort, first time up there in that area and fishing Georgian Bay in over 15 years, looking forward to it.

As for musky, I will not specifically target it, if it comes by great, if not, then oh well. Thats usually when the biggest musky get caught - when you least expect it.

I just want some decent fishing action, and as long as I can make a nice fish dinner every night, I will be happy. No need to pig out on the fish - I think thats been already done in most of the lower half of Ontario unfortunately.

Thanks again

Gladly will listen to more tips if anyone has 'em.

TMl26

:Gonefishing:

Are you talking about Georgian Bay Fish Camp in the Bustard Islands, if so, we did that place back in the mid 80's. Have to scratch a bit and think..Dave Bulger ring a bell?

I was fishing around the Massassauga Provincal Park this past weekend (not too far south from you) and we couldn't find any bass. Pike in the 25-30" range were caught in common bass areas using bass lures. The Koppers smelt in silver/blue was the most productive (the same pike was caught twice on it within 5 min of the first catch), and white/purple or chartreuse spinnerbaits were 2nd. Some pike hit silver top water Pop-R's as well. Trolling would be your best bet for bigger fish, craw patterns should be effective in and around rocks as well on windy days. Boat slow and keep a spotter up front for inch deep rocks.

LOL fish dinner? plenty of perch there! Although I do like to fish shallower water for bass, I did catch large mouth there in 20+ feet of water at times. I really have no idea why, perhaps pushed to deeper water by pike or a ski in their preferred spots? or just the presence of food in deeper water.

First time there for me was 1964, never a numbers spot for skis, but some huge ones present. Dad stayed at Pleasant Cove and liked it, er 1962 or so? Try Brignall`s early or late in the day, a good mix of shallow and deeper water and the only route for fish to enter or leave that area of Pointe Au Baril. Boat traffic through there did increase over the years and screwed up the mid day bite.

PM me and I can give you some spots to try, but it has been a long time.

Hey guys thanks for the input.

Im staying at Pleasant Cove Resort, first time up there in that area and fishing Georgian Bay in over 15 years, looking forward to it.

As for musky, I will not specifically target it, if it comes by great, if not, then oh well. Thats usually when the biggest musky get caught - when you least expect it.

I just want some decent fishing action, and as long as I can make a nice fish dinner every night, I will be happy. No need to pig out on the fish - I think thats been already done in most of the lower half of Ontario unfortunately.

Thanks again

Gladly will listen to more tips if anyone has 'em.

TMl26

:Gonefishing:

I will be staying at Pleasant Cove Resort! What week are you going??

So I decided to book a cottage on Georgian Bay, in Pointe au Baril area.

Has anyone fished this part of the bay? I know its huge, and there are alot of options.

What is the "general" or "common" theme of fishing :Gonefishing: Georgian Bay, any set of rules or suggestions?

im thinking live bait is the way to go especially with the variety of different fish (musky, pike, bass, pickerel, perch, etc.) :Gonefishing:

Would Love to hear some tips or suggestions. :blahblah1:

Thanks

TMl26

:thumbsup_anim:

Hoping it isnt too HOT while were up there....Some cool nights to keep the fish active are always nice, but I guess you cant expect too cool as were not that far north.

Oh well hoping for the best.

Hoping it isnt too HOT while were up there....Some cool nights to keep the fish active are always nice, but I guess you cant expect too cool as were not that far north.

Oh well hoping for the best.

My family and i will be up there July/24/31 look across the bay from Pleasent cove i will be at the cootage there. Look for a Fazer with a 60hp

Take your chart, stop in at Payne's Marine and have a chat with Mark before you head out. He's a great guy and will keep you away from the prop-eating rocks.

Having said that, those prop-eating rocks tend to attract a lot of smallmouth. Lots of happy memories of evening bites on Pop-Rs and Tiny Torpedos ......

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4400884&id=172693626347#!/photo.php?pid=4259271&id=172693626347&fbid=179534806347

Payne`s has changed since the mid 70`s, the people were friendly though. Actually the channel there heading out isn`t a bad place to start. It is the only way back into the back bays so a migration route, and a good mix of shallow and deep water. Boat traffic can dictate how easy it will be to fish though. A lot of the points on the islanda in the back section of the bay held smallies, and really no lily pad bed is to small to check for largemouth.

The Shawanaga river held cats up to 25 pounds when we went, also caught walleye there mid summer, it can be hit or miss though. Lots of gar in the river.

Are you talking about Georgian Bay Fish Camp in the Bustard Islands, if so, we did that place back in the mid 80's. Have to scratch a bit and think..Dave Bulger ring a bell?

No, across from Sturgeon Bay PP. It used to be Red and White when Marg Noble owned it, then my parents bought it and it went to beige and brown.

Take your chart, stop in at Payne's Marine and have a chat with Mark before you head out. He's a great guy and will keep you away from the prop-eating rocks.

Agreed, Mark is a great guy and knows the water as good as anyone. His little brother Chad (not little but younger than mark) knows the water incredibly well. Probably knows every rock up there from San Souci to Bing Inlet.

Pleasant cove is in a pretty good spot. Centrally located. I would stay away from the River mid summer though, as it becomes tough usually until the temps cool down. Good for pike though.

If you want bass stay in Shawanaga in the North End of the bay, so many shoals to fish, anywhere there is a marker, throw something in. Pike are the easiest to come by. Go back towards Sturgeon bay and fish by Skunk Isle and Bonnie. Hit up the back side of Kenilworth Isle. Get a map you will see where I am talking.

Good luck. its an over fished area now which is too bad but its one of the most beautiful places to go IMO.

Edited by MuskyMike

No, across from Sturgeon Bay PP. It used to be Red and White when Marg Noble owned it, then my parents bought it and it went to beige and brown.

Agreed, Mark is a great guy and knows the water as good as anyone. His little brother Chad (not little but younger than mark) knows the water incredibly well. Probably knows every rock up there from San Souci to Bing Inlet.

Pleasant cove is in a pretty good spot. Centrally located. I would stay away from the River mid summer though, as it becomes tough usually until the temps cool down. Good for pike though.

If you want bass stay in Shawanaga in the North End of the bay, so many shoals to fish, anywhere there is a marker, throw something in. Pike are the easiest to come by. Go back towards Sturgeon bay and fish by Skunk Isle and Bonnie. Hit up the back side of Kenilworth Isle. Get a map you will see where I am talking.

Good luck. its an over fished area now which is too bad but its one of the most beautiful places to go IMO.

Yeah i caught some walleye by skunk island, just as the sun was setting.