West Nipissing Resort HELP???

tmleafs26

Hey guys and gals,

Im looking at going to West Nipissing Resort later this month for a week, has anyone ever been to this resort?

The website looks nice, the cottages look nicem, the pictures look nice, and its located on Nipissing which has a tremendous variety of fishing available - I know the fishing will be great, but how about the resort?

Would love to hear if you've been and what you have to say about it.

Looking to relax, fish, swim, and enjoy northern Ontario.

Ive read 3 or 4 reviews about this place just now and they all say STAY AWAY! :( - Im kind of upset about that, as I had my heart set on it, can anyone confirm this?

Or any recommendations for the Nipissing area at a reasonable rate for a week?

Thanks

P.S. Its very close to Lakair, and since lots of your go to Lakair each year, maybe some of you have stayed at West Nipissing Resort? If so, please let me know, looking to book ASAP.

Thanks and tight lines everyone!

:Gonefishing:

Edited by tmleafs26

Hey guys and gals,

Im looking at going to West Nipissing Resort later this month for a week, has anyone ever been to this resort?

The website looks nice, the cottages look nicem, the pictures look nice, and its located on Nipissing which has a tremendous variety of fishing available - I know the fishing will be great, but how about the resort?

Would love to hear if you've been and what you have to say about it.

Looking to relax, fish, swim, and enjoy northern Ontario.

Ive read 3 or 4 reviews about this place just now and they all say STAY AWAY! :( - Im kind of upset about that, as I had my heart set on it, can anyone confirm this?

Or any recommendations for the Nipissing area at a reasonable rate for a week?

Thanks

P.S. Its very close to Lakair, and since lots of your go to Lakair each year, maybe some of you have stayed at West Nipissing Resort? If so, please let me know, looking to book ASAP.

Thanks and tight lines everyone!

:Gonefishing:

I used to stay there quite a bit but have not been there for the past 5 years. When i did stay there, I had nothing but good things to say about it. This time of year, that area is full of pike. Very weedy. The hosts back then were great, not sure if it is still Ian and his wife running it. Best of luck

I enjoyed my stay there when I was there 2 years ago. I caught a lot of fish... If you want to destroy fish (bass, pike, and BIG perch just go to the reeds in quiet bays and use yellow grubs). The perch will probably have worms in them, but you will catch some monsters. You will catch fish all day long, but lots of pike.

If you want walleye or bass, then that isn't the place to stay. Very shallow, so be careful in the boat.

Although I enjoyed my stay, I doubt I would go back. It is not very kid friendly. Lots and lots of bugs...

Hi there! You will be in my back yard when you go there. At one time it was my aunt and uncle that owned that.

The fishing is hit or miss this year iv had good days and real bad ones but there is lots of fish to be had up here. I camp out on the other side of the lake second bay.

when you get there stop at the store and grab a map there 5$ you don't need the big one There is allot of spots to hit depending on the time you have.

What i will do is grab my map and tell you some of the hot spots i do not have it with me but i will post them before you come up, and if you tell me when you are coming maybe we can meet up and i will show you some spots to fish and were not trek (low water) i could tell you the places as locals know them but there not on the map that way so when i get the map you can find them as well

i have yet to be skunked out there this year not always great but i do find them. There is a post i put up if you go and look ,It shows the pike i caught out around there about 15- 20 min down the lake

i will get my map and let you know

Cottages - Good

Boats - Good

Service - OK

Location - Bad

I stayed there once and the biggest reason I didn't go back is because it's right beside a main road and the cottages don't have their own fire pits. If you want something somewhat more private or remote look elsewhere.

That entire end of the lake is shallow and weedy so small pike are everywhere. Some good spots for largies. Deeper water is a good 20-25 minute boat ride away. WATCH OUT FOR THE ROCKS / SHOALS!!!

One great thing about that section of the lake is that the entire south shore has very few cottages on it.

Overall - 6 out of 10

http://www.camplaplage.com/

This is another place on the west arm it a nice place off the main road and secluded. lots of fishing around there as well and the owner can help you out.

They have a launch there,Quiet and peaceful,fishing is good and its closer to some great hot spots,i have never stayed there but it looks real nice

not to for from town ether

just another place to look into if you want to be more secluded

http://www.camplaplage.com/

This is another place on the west arm it a nice place off the main road and secluded. lots of fishing around there as well and the owner can help you out.

They have a launch there,Quiet and peaceful,fishing is good and its closer to some great hot spots,i have never stayed there but it looks real nice

not to for from town ether

just another place to look into if you want to be more secluded

I would 2cd Camp LaPlage. It is secluded and Max will put you on fish. just ask. quiet camp, nice sandy beach area, good boats and motors, clean and modern cabins. Tell him JO JO sent you.

I would 2cd Camp LaPlage. It is secluded and Max will put you on fish. just ask. quiet camp, nice sandy beach area, good boats and motors, clean and modern cabins. Tell him JO JO sent you.

Cottages #10 - #14 are all really great.

i was there in may. typical outdated cabins but comfortable for fishing. nice hosts, reasonable rates. good boats if you get the upgrade. not too private. very shallow everywhere til you get past the hardwood islands. nice looking boating area, tons of islands.

Hi,

I have been going to West Nip Resort since 2000. I love it. Of course a good fishing location means differenet things to everyone, so it depends on what you are looking for. For the price, you wont find a better place on Nipissing. Especially the great boats they have to rent. After years of going there, I can sum up this place as the following: A great canadian(I am from Pittsburgh) fishing place to go with your friends to experience very remote fishing(seeing nearly no boats all week, once you get 20-30 minutes away from camp), catching TONS of pike, decent amount of smallmouth, a good chance at a musky, and a occasional walleye. Ian is a great host. The cabins are very nice and clean. Yes the cabins are not remote in the woods, but you can also walk to a small gas station, restraunt etc. Depends on what you want. YOu wont find better rental boats.

Most of this side of the lake is shallow and weedy and full of pike, but that exactly what we like to fish for. Musky fishing has been excellent if you target them. My friend caught a 54 inch 30+ lb monster, 10 min from the camp. We usually catch 1-3 40+ muskie a trip, selectivly targeting them.

We fish sun up to sun down all week, and fish hard. There are tons of buetiful islands and places where you will be the only one fishing. Thats what we look for.