Snake bursts after gobbling gator

limeyangler

Found this article whilst reading the news...gruesome and cool at the same time.

An unusual clash between a 6-foot (1.8m) alligator and a 13-foot (3.9m) python has left two of the deadliest predators dead in Florida's swamps.

The Burmese python tried to swallow its fearsome rival whole but then exploded.

The remains of the two giant reptiles were found by astonished rangers in the Everglades National Park.

The rangers say the find suggests that non-native Burmese pythons might even challenge alligators' leading position in the food chain in the swamps.

1.jpg

As a kid exploring the back 40 I once found a large Garter Snake that had tried to eat one of his smaller brethern, the smaller one was about half consumed, I assumed that was all the room before it bottomed out in the larger's stomach. They were both dead at the point I found them. Way cooler to witness on this scale I am sure. I would think it may be more common than expected, I think once a snake starts to swallow they are committed to finishing, not able to reverse, " never bite off more than you swallow" :oops:

Edited by dave524

As a kid exploring the back 40 I once found a large Garter Snake that had tried to eat one of his smaller brethern, the smaller one was about half consumed, I assumed that was all the room before it bottomed out in the larger's stomach. They were both dead at the point I found them. Way cooler to witness on this scale I am sure. I would think it may be more common than expected, I think once a snake starts to swallow they are committed to finishing, not able to reverse, " never bite off more than you swallow" :oops:

a snake can spit its food back out. i think this was a case of the claws on the gator tearing through the side of the python.

a snake can spit its food back out. i think this was a case of the claws on the gator tearing through the side of the python.

Makes sense, especially as the gator would be kicking up a fuss going down. :w00t: I thought that since a lot of snakes have backward angling teeth it would make regurgitating food unlikely.

u would think so... but they can spit up half or even fully eaten food with little effort. i have owned many snakes and have one columbian boa now... and watching a snake puke its food back out after a day or so is an interesting site.

I have seen this picture a few times; it was also mentioned on one of the history channel shows about what earth would be like without humans. Their version of the events was that the snake was attacked by another gator after swallowing that one. The python was probably to stuffed to defend itself.

The show went on to discuss the python/gator situation on Florida. Currently humans are culling the pythons in an attempt to eliminate them from Florida. The show claimed that without human interferance the pythons would eventually eliminate the aligators.