Two great days of muskie fishing!

Fisherpete

Monday : super early start, on the water at 5:20am. Albert after his first ski of the year. Had a mid-30's fish follow within the first 10 minutes. As the morning progressed, it became really hot, sunny and calm. Surface temps got up to 76F at one point. This has usually spelt disaster for me while muskie fishing, but I found an area close to deeper water where they were active, and we got into some action. Fish were very acrobatic today - with several lost on jumps. First fish of the day hooked (and lost soon after) was a good one... The rest were pretty average, but lots of fun. Mr. Walleye decided to be a tough guy and nail a muskie lure... bad idea, as he was in the keeper slot and came home with me! 7 hooked, 3 landed + bonus walleye. And Al got his first of what shall be many this year, right Al? I will add an awesome video of how to lose a muskie at boatside shortly...

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Thursday : met up for an afternoon fish with my brother Paul at a cottage he has rented for four days. I have fished this lake twice before, but never in this area at all. We scouted out a couple 'fishy' looking areas on the map, launched the boat around noon, and within 5 minutes, drag screaming and fish on! And a good one too... turned out to be 43.5" and solid. I often catch fish... but this time she caught me... with one quick flick of her tooth to the side of my thumb, a cascade of my blood redecorated the interior of my boat. My blood was actually pumping out in spurts to my hearbeat... kinda scary! While Paul took over and released her, I kept some firm pressure on it, and it soon stopped bleeding. A couple bandages - and back at it! We had steady action for the next five hours, and Paul got his first muskies of 2010. The first one of the day turned out to be the only 40+, but there were a couple respectable mid-30's in the mix. Fish #7 was on video only... here is 1-6 and 8. The only bad thing about all the action was that my gashed thumb was constantly getting wet!!! Small price to pay for the fun...

DSCN1828.jpg

DSCN1831.jpg

DSCN1832.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1835.jpg

DSCN1839.jpg

No fish lost either today - they were hitting hard, and my hooks were sharp :) 8 landed in a day (in an afternoon!) is a new record for my boat. (old high was 5)

The quest for the 50" continues...

Edited by Fisherpete

Monday : super early start, on the water at 5:20am. Albert after his first ski of the year. Had a mid-30's fish follow within the first 10 minutes. As the morning progressed, it became really hot, sunny and calm. Surface temps got up to 76F at one point. This has usually spelt disaster for me while muskie fishing, but I found an area close to deeper water where they were active, and we got into some action. Fish were very acrobatic today - with several lost on jumps. First fish of the day hooked (and lost soon after) was a good one... The rest were pretty average, but lots of fun. Mr. Walleye decided to be a tough guy and nail a muskie lure... bad idea, as he was in the keeper slot and came home with me! 7 hooked, 3 landed + bonus walleye. And Al got his first of what shall be many this year, right Al? I will add an awesome video of how to lose a muskie at boatside shortly...

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Thursday : met up for an afternoon fish with my brother Paul at a cottage he has rented for four days. I have fished this lake twice before, but never in this area at all. We scouted out a couple 'fishy' looking areas on the map, launched the boat around noon, and within 5 minutes, drag screaming and fish on! And a good one too... turned out to be 43.5" and solid. I often catch fish... but this time she caught me... with one quick flick of her tooth to the side of my thumb, a cascade of my blood redecorated the interior of my boat. My blood was actually pumping out in spurts to my hearbeat... kinda scary! While Paul took over and released her, I kept some firm pressure on it, and it soon stopped bleeding. A couple bandages - and back at it! We had steady action for the next five hours, and Paul got his first muskies of 2010. The first one of the day turned out to be the only 40+, but there were a couple respectable mid-30's in the mix. Fish #7 was on video only... here is 1-6 and 8. The only bad thing about all the action was that my gashed thumb was constantly getting wet!!! Small price to pay for the fun...

DSCN1828.jpg

DSCN1831.jpg

DSCN1832.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1835.jpg

DSCN1839.jpg

No fish lost either today - they were hitting hard, and my hooks were sharp smile.gif 8 landed in a day (in an afternoon!) is a new record for my boat. (old high was 5)

The quest for the 50" continues...

Sweet!

Whats your choice of baits?suicks,rapalas,spoons,spinners ?

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! That 4th one is a beauty. Didn't you read my report? To stop the bleeding you must lift the wound over your heart! I still haven't been able to go out Musky fishing but I usually wait for the fall for Musky. Been targetting the pickerel on the bucktails and having some decent success!

Looks like your Musky season is off to a great start!Keep the pictures coming!