Trailer Hitch Height

Rizzo

In my continual efforts to shed my city roots I have sold my Pacifica and bought a pick-up. Being a low vehicle the ball from the pacifica had about a 6 inch rise. Just tried to hook this up on the new truck and of course the ball is quite high now. Last time I borrowed a neighbour's attachment but that isn't an option this time. Hoping to do a last minute fishing trip tomorrow so no time to buy a new attachment for the hitch. With the boat hooked up and the transom saver on, the skeg is about 10 inches above ground level and the rear lights about a foot above ground level. Is this going to be ok or do I cancel my last minute trip? Any other issues (other than bottoming out) to be concerned about?

10 inches is more than enough Roger... at least that's what she told me last night! But after your trip.. go find a hitch that makes your trailer sit perfectly level. I ended up with a flat multi ball receiver to accomplish that..

10 inches is more than enough Roger... at least that's what she told me last night! But after your trip.. go find a hitch that makes your trailer sit perfectly level. I ended up with a flat multi ball receiver to accomplish that..

:o Irishholmes??? :spam:

If the trailer is on too much of and angle it might want to sway.

That's what I would be concerned about, losing too much tongue weight due to the angle.

When I switched from a van to a pickup as a tow vehicle, I made some adjustments to my EZ Loader trailer via the suspension, there was obvious extra holes that could be used to adjust the height of the frame to the axle so that it sat more level with the increase in ball height. NB!! do this with the trailer hooked to a vehicle and good axle stands under the frame. The increase in ground clearance made trailering a little less of a worry on uneven terrain as well. Have a look at your trailer , may be some adjustment that could be made.

edit: chock the wheels of the vehicle it is attached to , just for extra safety.

Edited by dave524

Go to your local UHaul and pick up a proper ball mount. Don't mess around for 40 bucks. A skeg costs a buck and a half or so to fix never mind any other damages. Canadian Tire sells them too so pop in and get the right one.

I think you're going to be fine for this trip but you should correct it... as said, you want the trailer level.

One of the problems with an unlevel trailer is weight transfer under braking. Too low at the ball will transfer weight to the rear wheels of the tow vehicle and lighten the load on the front wheels (where 80% of your braking power comes from). Too high at the ball will try to lift the rear wheels under braking and cause sway.

I think you will be fine because you have a light load and a big tow vehicle but for $30 at Princess auto, you can put the odds in your favour.

With that said, I'm off to Emil's to help him with the same issue!

Thanks for all the replies. After I posted that message last night I went out to have another look at it. Had considered "reversing" the ball but that would make the tongue too low (at least the skeg wouldn't bottom out!). Anywho, as I'm out there looking at it I see the other neighbour outside - turns out he has about 5 different hitches and was happy to lend me one. Good thing because I was a bit concerned. Went to Head lake early this morning(Norland) and got skunked. Thanks again for all the tips. Next stop will be princess auto before another "last minute trip" springs up!