Muskie Help - need tips

the Kawarthas or Scugog are close and have fish, heavy line is better so if you do hook one, you don't have a half hour long battle with the fish, totally exhausting it

try casting bucktail spinners around obvious structure and weeds, the Mepps muskie killer would work, I like black

good luck, let us know how you do

Any of the Kawarthas. Go with the best you can afford as far as tackle. Don't go cheap on your release tools IE: Beckman or Frabil net, Knipex cutters (for cutting the hook rather than pulling or working it out, of the fish and yourself) A good pair of stainless long handled needle nose pliers.

Join the MUSKIES CANADA CHAPTER nearest you..... there is a lot of knowledge with these guys and they will help you out with what you need.

Check your bank account...LOL

Tom McCutcheon

Release Director

Kawartha Lakes Chapter

Muskies Canada

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

yeah I took a lot at it. It sounds like a great club and everything I just don't think i can make the once a month commitment to it. Im busy with hockey and what not. That would be awesome meeting with everyone and such, it's something I would definitely do in the future.

I was reluctant to join two years ago due to my work schedule. I was encouraged to join even if I could not attend any meetings and I'm glad I did. As a relative muskie newb, I don't have much to offer the club other than membership fees (which go a long way) and I've gotten so much in return. They're okay with that!

Once you're enlisted, you have access to the MC forums. From there you can learn much more and make arrangements to get out with other members. Your membership will pay for itself; not only will you receive a wealth of knowledge, but gain access to 'members only' deals on tackle.

You do not have to be a member to attend the meetings. However in order to participate in the on line forum and receive an electronic version of their newsletter every two months as well as other goodies, you have to sign up. The cost of $50.00 a year goes directly back into research and conservation projects. It is a non profit organazation.

I suggest you locate your local chapter, (three in your area) Toronto, Mississauga or Hamilton and attend a meeting or two. Just check with one of their executives because a lot of the chapters do not hold a meeting during the summer months.

Tom.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

Live.to.Fish

You should definitely join Muskies Canada. Just like anything we choose to do in life, being trained properly will speed up the learning process by years and it might even save some muskies lives in the process. Catching a muskie is one thing, but landing it properly and releasing it is another story. It took me 1/2 hour to release a big girl last night (I was alone, no camera, go figure, no entry in the tournament) that I caught accidentally on a small beetle spin fishing for panfish and walleye on a spinning rod. The stuff I learned from my past years of being in Muskies Canada allowed me to show some patience with the fish and know/feel when she was ready to swim away on her own. They get huge lactic acid build up from a long fight and probably go into shock. Without the experience I might have just let it go at the side of the boat and continued to troll without know she would have turn upside down and died. There was no way she would have survived if I didn't spend that time with her. That fish was probably over 20 years old, so we have to protect them as best we can.

Just my thought.

I would suggest you go to a chapter meeting of muskies canada, and see what were about, bring a friend who might be a fishing partner as well, we are all there because we enjoy muskie fishing, and care about the protection and enhancement of this great fish, so furture generations will be able to enjoy the great muskie fishing opportunities we enjoy now.