They’re heeeeere!!! Carp breach electrical barrier at Chicago

Spiel

are they like the grass carp?

Hi everyone,

it seems to me that there is a little bit of a confusion about the different carp species.

The bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis) is the one we are talking about here. This species feeds on microscopic organisms called plankton and besides that it can cause serious problem in the ecosystem it is almost impossible to catch, because of it's feeding habit. It filters the food out of the water, don't actually pick up the bait only by chance.

The grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) looks completely different and behaves completely different.

220px-Ctenopharyngodon_idella.jpg

It eats macroscopic plants (weed) and it can be properly caught pretty muck with the same method as the common carp (Cyprinus carpio). However it is really fun to catch (can grow up to 100lb) it can be just as much of a problem for the ecosystem as any other introduced species.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just read an article about that is week and it is not true. The U.S. fish and wildlife confirmed that there has been no evidence that the Asian carp has breached the beerier, http://www.freep.com/article/20110719/NEWS05/107190387/Asian-carp-Battle-lines-drawn-Chicago-ship-canal.

Now although the article states that it is not fool proof, and the carp could get past the beerier with the aid of humans. I did however find this article on the human error factor http://www.arenacindependent.com/detail/94207.html.

Last week in Windsor a fish farm in the U.S. was caught transporting frozen Asian Carp to a restaurant in Toronto, not against the law apparently, however when the custom authorities put them in water they came to life. This could have been a bad situation. Interesting I just tried to access the article from the CTV website and it is no longer available, hummmm?

Just a closing thought why, if the problem is that serious and has raised such a concern, is the U.S. government allowing these fish farms in the first place, shut them down and fine them huge dollars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...