Boat run over by bigger boat

canuckjack

what an idiot! how do you not pay attention while your on the water? that's like letting go of the steering wheel in your car while you have a conversation with someone in the back seat. i hope this idiot is punished to the fullest extent of the law. those poor people are gonna be scarred for life now.

This is very tragic but really doesn't surprise me. In fact most of us who are on the water a lot see close calls all the time. Guys coming from across the lake at high speed to pass within metres of you in a much smaller boat. These irresponsible boat operators must be punished to the full extent of the law. I hope the young couple get a good lawyer and sue the older folks for all they have.

Stuff like this happens at least once a year on Lake Erie. About three or four years ago a guy had a brand new 32' Tiara cabin cruiser that he had on autopilot and beached it on Mouse Island running at night with six people onboard. Ran that bad boy about twenty yards up onto the bank, four people were hurt and the boat was a total loss. Boggles my mind

Im sorry? Autopilot?

Like the name implies; with a set of navigation (GPS)waypoints entered into a route; the autopilot, when engaged will automatically take you there. The sad part is that the systems that I seen do not have collision avoidance capabilities.

The autopilot will take you to a waypoint in the most direct route; regardless if anything is in your way.

Dan.

I talked to Ryan yesterday, the guy whos boat was hit ! The driver of the big boat was NOT on autopilot. I heard two stories on what had happened....

1- The driver of the bigger boat was starting to take off and get on plane and didn't see the smaller boat in his way ! Which does make sense because a 35' cruiser when gettin on plane sticks pretty far in the air... and you can't see anything infront of you for a good distance.... BUT thats no excuse AT ALL !!! he should have been aware of what was around him before hand !

2 - When I talked to Ryan, he said that he noticed the boat far enough away coming at him that he called his girlfriend over to him because he thought they were going to have to bail !!! Which obviously he had to do ! He said the bigger boat was on plane and cruising right towards them ! He still seemed pretty shaken up talking about it thats forsure !!!

Either way just straight carelessness .... good thing Ryan noticed the boat and they are alright !

I believe it!! You should see some of the jackasses up on GBay with their big cruisers. Some people just have no clue when it comes to the rules of the waterways. I know how the Ontario gov't can get out of the current fiscal mess we are in, put a whole bunch more OPP officers out on Seadoos and have them ticket jerks on the water, in no time they will get us out of the deficit. (Yes, I am being just a bit facetious) :whistling:

Luckily the couple wasn't hurt.

I wonder if the guy had his Safe Boaters Card?

He probably has the card but failed the part on the test about not running over other boats on the water.

Everything is OK if he had the safe boaters operators card. That's just as bad as the gun registry, criminals can use guns as long as there registered. :rofl2: :rofl2: :wallbash:

Just think, we vote for these people to run this country.

Lew, remember the canoe instance.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I documented what happened to us in 2008 while staying at Lakair. A guy in a 20' Crestliner missed us by less than a foot. He never even stopped. I still get chills thinking of what may have happened, but I also look at it as a valuable lesson. The lesson? "Yes, some people really are that ignorant, don't take anything for granted".

Like the name implies; with a set of navigation (GPS)waypoints entered into a route; the autopilot, when engaged will automatically take you there. The sad part is that the systems that I seen do not have collision avoidance capabilities.

The autopilot will take you to a waypoint in the most direct route; regardless if anything is in your way.

Dan.

lol, my comment was a little tongue in cheek. I was more hinting toward the question.......why on earth would or could such a capability be implemented. Grab the steering wheel with your left, the throttle with your right and drive with your eyes WIDE open and scan around you like your life and others lives depend on it.

Everything is OK if he had the safe boaters operators card. That's just as bad as the gun registry, criminals can use guns as long as there registered. :rofl2: :rofl2: :wallbash:

Just think, we vote for these people to run this country.

Lew, remember the canoe instance.

Who knows when it's all going to stop. I guess never, they keep giving themselves raises! Therefore, another reason for a cash grab.

Everytime I'm out on the water, we make a comment about some idiot that comes within ten-twenty feet at full throttle waving at us like we're their friends. If they only knew what we were saying about them.

I don't know if some will ever het it.

I would have lost it...good to hear that they were alright...however...someone might not have been if it happened to me...like Bill said...a butt whooping would be in order right when i got to shore...

I am not offering a defense for the person driving the boat but it now makes sense why he had a blindspot for the other boat to be hidden. If you have a 34ft boat and you don't look before coming up on plane (the negligent part of this story)even with your trim tabs set back to neutral it can take over 200 yards before your bow drops down far enough to see directly ahead of you. A mistake that thankfully did not cost a life for sure. If you haven't driven a large boat then you have never felt the handling characteristics of one. They are as different as shooting a 22 and a 50 cal rifle both are guns but neither will prepare you for using the other. Large boats need twice as much attention to run as any of the smaller boats and until we can get the schooling and the practical information to both the smaller boat operators or targets as you should think of them as. Along with the big boat operators or jackasses playing with dynamite their will always be issues between them as we try to use the waters together. I by the way have a canoe, jetdrive outboard, bass boat and a 28ft cruiser and drive them all as though someones life is on the line.....because someones LIFE IS.This is not to inflame or cause an argument it is a view that some people are blind too because they have not seen this from all angles lacking the availablity or access to driving large vessels.

Art

Art, as a target who has for some unforseen reason assummed that those who drive big boat have their "poop" together, I thank you for your post.

It's a good kick in the butt for me to keep my eyes more open.

Thanks,

HH