Watercraft Licence

xpedx789

Could anyone tell me if Americans coming to Ontario for fishing vaca's need

to have a watercraft licence ? I'm getting conflicting answers, so I'm coming to

the answer people....Last thing I need is to drive 12 hours only to find out I

cant fish...:(

Could anyone tell me if Americans coming to Ontario for fishing vaca's need

to have a watercraft licence ? I'm getting conflicting answers, so I'm coming to

the answer people....Last thing I need is to drive 12 hours only to find out I

cant fish...:(

First, what do you mean a "watercraft licence"?, registration for the boat or a safe boating operators card.

Okay, read this for the safe boating operators card:

The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times.

Proof of competency can take 1 of 3 forms:

1. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;

2. Proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999; or,

3. A completed rental-boat safety checklist.

The operator card is good-for-life.

These requirements are being phased in over ten years.

Date at which proof of competency is required *

How this applies to operators** of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes:

* All operators born after April 1, 1983, proof of competency required on board by September 15, 1999.

* All operators of craft under 4 m in length, including personal watercraft, proof of competency required on board by September 15, 2002.

* All operators, proof of competency required on board by September 15, 2009.

* These requirements apply in areas outside the Northwest and Nunavut Territories at this time.

** Applies to non-residents operating their pleasure craft in Canadian waters after 44 consecutive days. Operator card or equivalent issued to a non-resident by their state or country will be considered as proof of competency.

If you hold any certificate on the List of Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies as Proof of Competency when Operating a Pleasure Craft, you already meet the requirements of the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations – you just need to make sure you carry your certificate on board. Proof of certification may include original documentation or a copy of the certificate.

Edited by Fisherman

The marinas I rent from kept asking for boating license last year even though I remember reading for day rentals you don't need a license but they go through a safety checklist with you. Just ask them about the license when your are calling to reserve the boat.

I rent boats and take renters through a 15 point checklist that takes about 10 minutes. I photocopy the checklist and the renter takes the copy out with them. The nationality of the renter does not matter, the rules are the same for everyone.

You did not mention if you have your own boat. If you do, you can use it for upto 45 days. You must have the required safety equipment (PFD, flashlight, whistle, paddle/oars, 50' rope and a bailing bucket).

You actually must have the safety equipment that is mandated by law in YOUR OWN STATE during that 44 days.

I get pretty p'd off with many on our lake. Their boats are registered in OH, MC, TN.. etc and they play the "don't need a card.. don't have to comply to local standards" card, WHEN THEIR BOAT GETS PIGION HOLED AT THE LOCAL MARINA year round.

Edited by irishfield

** Applies to non-residents operating their pleasure craft in Canadian waters after 44 consecutive days. Operator card or equivalent issued to a non-resident by their state or country will be considered as proof of competency.

If you hold any certificate on the List of Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies as Proof of Competency when Operating a Pleasure Craft, you already meet the requirements of the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations – you just need to make sure you carry your certificate on board. Proof of certification may include original documentation or a copy of the certificate.

A common misconception is that the boat has to be operated for more than 44 consecutive days.

If the boat is in Canada for 45 days then some type of proof of competency is required.

Also to be exempted from having proof of competency the boat must be their own (not fathers or friends ect.).

Ref: Transport Canada - Safe Boating Guide (TP 511E)(01/2009)

Now will this be enforced???????????

Edited by Woodsman