Has the boater card affected rentals?

Dave Bailey

As the title says, has there been much of a negative impact on boat rentals due to the boater card requirement? I am looking at getting out a few times this summer, and I would suspect that there are deals to be had, but I hope the marina operators aren't taking too much of a hit.

Everyone that operates a boat should have to get one, there shouldn't be any free passes otherwise the government is just confirming what everyone already knows, that it was a money grab from boat owners.

Renters are probably the individuals that need to take the course more than the regular boaters.

jimmer i would agree with you if it was actually a test you had to have some intelligence to do. how safe is it to take the test 10-15 times only paying for the one time you pass. gimme a break.. i rent, and i've never done anything foolish on the water, when i do pick up my boat i'll pay then but i'll be damned if im gonna pay for it while i dont own a boat.. common sense is free, its just unfortunate that half the non owners and owners alike lack it severely.

Everyone that operates a boat should have to get one, there shouldn't be any free passes otherwise the government is just confirming what everyone already knows, that it was a money grab from boat owners.

Renters are probably the individuals that need to take the course more than the regular boaters.

What about tourists from out of the province/country?

You would either have to force them to have a licence or leave it as it is where everyone who rents a boat doesn't need one. Otherwise, it would be a legal nightmare.

Edited by Rob

My boat rentals have not suffered this year. Lots of people call asking "must I have the Operator's Card?" As was said above, the Rental Checklist is all that is needed.

Some question whether this should be allowed, but I would rather be on the lake with someone who went through the checklist and the proper operation of the boat this morning than with someone who took the test 5 years ago and has not been in a boat since.

110% MONEY GRAB....always was and always will be...

My boat rentals have not suffered this year. Lots of people call asking "must I have the Operator's Card?" As was said above, the Rental Checklist is all that is needed.

Some question whether this should be allowed, but I would rather be on the lake with someone who went through the checklist and the proper operation of the boat this morning than with someone who took the test 5 years ago and has not been in a boat since.

Excellent point!

I'm not embarrassed to ask for a 5-10 minute talk/demo at the boat to show motor operation, local hazards ( using my map), anything special going on at the lake, etc. Noticed a small percentage of the motors we use have their own quirks. The dock hand is there anyhow filling up my gas tank, so why not ask. Good boating practice should not be the sole responsibility of the marina owner. It can get quite serious out there on the lake even when you are boating properly.

Thanks guys, good points all around. I should say that if I can pass the test, anyone should be able to, it's multiple choice common sense stuff. I made it on my first try with only two wrong, and one of those was poorly worded.

The way I see it, it should increase boater safety in two ways:

1) People will study as much as they can and learn as much as they can, because they will expect it to be tough. It isn't, but at least they will have a head full of good information.

2) Many will be too scared of the test or won't be bothered, so they won't go out. Fewer boaters = fewer dingbats.

The point is, it is called an operators card not an owners card, so if you operate a boat in Ontario, you should have one.

If I had my way, none of us should have to get one. I had operated a boat since I was ten years old and then at 50, I was told I needed an operators card and would have to take a "Test" to get it. My daughter and son-in-law own a trailer park and boat rental business that have to give the mini course and they are rescuing people all day, because the renters have no idea how to operate a boat, never mind the ethics and laws of the water. I agree that taking the course does nothing to improve a boaters ability if some of the boaters I run across on the water are any indication.

The government should have thought about the tourist impact before they put such an idiotic requirement in place, but our laws shouldn't be based on what tourists want.

IT'S JUST A MONEY GRAB!

Try replacing one if you lose yours- $20 for one, $30 for two and so on. They recommend that you purchase numerous cards.

My wife replaced her fishing licence by calling the MNR and it was in the mail within two weeks, no charge!