on the search for a new ultralight rod

chefboi17

...balanced outfit will cast further and be more sensitive...you need the lighter action rod to cushion the hookset and not rip hooks out...gives more fight out of the fish

Once I find a cheap flexy rod that balances nicely with one of my UL reels I have no problem casting light lures. In fact that's probably where I find the whippy rods really shine - launching lures with no weight to carry themselves out on the cast. It's just a matter of getting the timing sorted out.

As for sensitivity you probably have a point but I feel enough of the taps to have a little fun the few times I go back to the UL rods. I may well be missing a few though because of a lack of feel.

I get yer point about hooksets but when I use a really cheap rod with light mono I get lotsa cushion, at least for the little fishies I run into. I never get to hunt little bitty trout so I have no idea how hard the hookset has to be for them.

I used to enjoy playing the fish for a long time but I've kinda been brainwashed about getting him in, off the hook and back to the water. It just doesn't feel right tiring the little guys out any more. Finding and hooking them is the fun part now.

I'm not saying you guys who choose to go with expensive UL's are wrong. I'm all for running the best gear you can afford. And if I was in a location where I could hunt panfish and little troots all the time I'd for sure have a sweet UL rig or two. It's just that like most fishermen I'm on a wife-imposed budget (sort of) and I'd rather shoot the bigger bux on the gear I'm gonna use most of the time. If I had an unlimited budget I'd be trying all the best UL's and matching reels to them till I found a combo that felt really nice. New gear is always good. :clapping:

JF

I'm just cynical enuf to wonder how many companies offer a great warranty because they know it looks good and even if their product is no better than the other guy's they'll make enuf extra from the sales it gets them to offset a few warranty claims.

JF

Yeah, that may be true, but that's where it is up to your personal experience and ability to "feel" a rod come into play. I rarely just grab a rod off a shelf on a first rod-shopping trip and pay for it right then and there.

Yeah, that may be true, but that's where it is up to your personal experience and ability to "feel" a rod come into play. I rarely just grab a rod off a shelf on a first rod-shopping trip and pay for it right then and there.

I agree. Now that I've had a few okay rods and had a chance to fish them I'm starting to know what I'm looking for off the rack. I really can't tell for sure though until I bolt the right reel to it. Even then it sometimes surprises me out on the water with different lures. I think it's why I've become so partial to braid lines. They feel much more consistent than mono.

I've still got a lot to learn but that's fun, and also part of the reason I spend so much time reading here.

JF

I used to enjoy playing the fish for a long time but I've kinda been brainwashed about getting him in, off the hook and back to the water. It just doesn't feel right tiring the little guys out any more. Finding and hooking them is the fun part now.

Yep, that sir is 100% right. The best part now is about problem-solving. Where are the fish, why are they not biting, what else might they bite, is my setup proper, did I approach correct, should I approach from somewhere else etc. That's most of the fun right there. The fish you play for a long time now are the ones that PLAY YOU for a long time - the big fellas.

Once I find a cheap flexy rod that balances nicely with one of my UL reels I have no problem casting light lures. In fact that's probably where I find the whippy rods really shine - launching lures with no weight to carry themselves out on the cast. It's just a matter of getting the timing sorted out.

As for sensitivity you probably have a point but I feel enough of the taps to have a little fun the few times I go back to the UL rods. I may well be missing a few though because of a lack of feel.

I get yer point about hooksets but when I use a really cheap rod with light mono I get lotsa cushion, at least for the little fishies I run into. I never get to hunt little bitty trout so I have no idea how hard the hookset has to be for them.

I'm not saying you guys who choose to go with expensive UL's are wrong. I'm all for running the best gear you can afford. And if I was in a location where I could hunt panfish and little troots all the time I'd for sure have a sweet UL rig or two. It's just that like most fishermen I'm on a wife-imposed budget (sort of) and I'd rather shoot the bigger bux on the gear I'm gonna use most of the time. If I had an unlimited budget I'd be trying all the best UL's and matching reels to them till I found a combo that felt really nice. New gear is always good. :clapping:

JF

All I can say is fish with a $200-$250 ultralight and it'll be tough to go back to the cheap crap.If you enjoy your other high end outfits,it's tough to go back to the low end stuff, the same is true for ultralights

I'd rather shoot the bigger bux on the gear I'm gonna use most of the time.

solid point...and for me my UL's all get used a lot so I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for high end...biggest thing I notice with a high end rod is the sensitivity and crispness of the blank, makes a big difference...

All I can say is fish with a $200-$250 ultralight and it'll be tough to go back to the cheap crap.If you enjoy your other high end outfits,it's tough to go back to the low end stuff, the same is true for ultralights

I know what yer saying. Last year I lost a beautiful rig that cost me over $250 a few years ago, a 5 1/2' L rod and a small spinning reel. It was just barely heavier than a true UL. That was a great rig.

JF

John F I purchase my first handmade rod from Spiel a few years ago and have not found a shelf rod that matches it.He has since built me two more as I slowly replace my St. Croix and Loomis rods. The differences mainly was the attention to detail and quality of the material. I found that the reel seat and blank were hand bedded in epoxy which made for incredible sensitivity. The guides were spaced not for economy like most of the lower end rods but were spaced for strength in the blank.The corking that I chose was a burl cork which was a pain to work but the end result was excellent.It addressed my issue of most handles were to thin and made my hand go numb. The final rod while more expensive than a Loomis is a rod that is exactly what I want and feels like an extension of my hand which is how every tool should feel like. I can also say that I would not have been able to create this rod with out the guidance of Chris and this type of expertise is worth the price paid.

Art

someone mentioned Loomis and I have to agree: their ultralight rods are AMAZING.

I have the SR841-2 IMX, which is a 2 peice 7 foot UL rod from their trout and panfish series and it is incredible.

above there is a discussion about inexpensive vs expensive UL setups, and I have to admit:

I have cast this one side by side with an inexpensive Quantum UL rod (5'6") and the difference is like night and day.

it cast way farther, and its not 'whippy' like many UL rods out there.

but don't get me wrong: it is truly UL power.

the only problem with a rod like this is that it is expensive.

but then I have always managed to justify the cost for nice tackle by the amount that I fish.

most of us fish often enough to make it well worth the investment for great equipment.

yeah, so the rod cost $200 and the reel $150... but if you use it all the time, its totally worth it.

<at least thats what I tell myself haha>

Edited by 12 Volt Man

John F I purchase my first handmade rod from Spiel a few years ago and have not found a shelf rod that matches it.He has since built me two more as I slowly replace my St. Croix and Loomis rods. The differences mainly was the attention to detail and quality of the material. I found that the reel seat and blank were hand bedded in epoxy which made for incredible sensitivity. The guides were spaced not for economy like most of the lower end rods but were spaced for strength in the blank.The corking that I chose was a burl cork which was a pain to work but the end result was excellent.It addressed my issue of most handles were to thin and made my hand go numb. The final rod while more expensive than a Loomis is a rod that is exactly what I want and feels like an extension of my hand which is how every tool should feel like. I can also say that I would not have been able to create this rod with out the guidance of Chris and this type of expertise is worth the price paid.

Art

Way back when my son was in his early teens and showing signs of the golfer he would become we got into club building. I think we got pretty good at it. I think it was not unlike rod building in some ways. Unless you started with quality components there was no way the end product would be decent. The problem was that no matter how much we spent or how hard we tried we really couldn't do much better than pretty good. The best we could do wouldn't compare to the high end factory clubs.

I gather that's the difference between building golf clubs and building rods. By all accounts here Spiel's output rivals or exceeds anything one can get with a big name on it. One of these days when I've figured out just what I should look for in a great rod, and if Chris is willing, I might just have to spring for one of his creations.

JF

The UL Compre is a moderate action rod....the flex goes right down into the butt of the blank. If you are looking for a faster action UL, Fenwick and Berkley both make very nice ones that come in at about the same price.

That might be the answer for me.

JF

thanks for the responses guys, i guess i have a lot to think about. i should have mentioned my budget is right around 100$ +-20, so the loomis line is out of the question,(i have felt them in the store, and while they are really nice, i can't bring myself to spend that much on a ul)

this is the list i gathered from this post

St Croix premier ultra light

Fenwick Techna AV 6'6 UL.

fenwick hmg

rapala f2 7'

yup lots to look for at bass pro this weekend lol, btw i will be using this rod mainly for trout when i hit the headwaters, and throwing small jigs for bass and walleyes mostly, i have a pretty decent arsenal as it stands, (float setup, baitcasting setup, ml spinning, m spining, fly etc)so i don't really want to go to crazy with this setup

Ya might want to check out a Spiel UL. I heard they can handle anything from perch to musky, depending on the angler. And the action aint to shabby either.

Thanks for the the kudos (all).

The rod in question is only as good as the blank, I merely assembled the components.

For note the blank was a Rainshadow RX7 (IS660) rated for 2-4lb test and priced under $50.00.

try and get the rap f2 in your hands....as I'm sure you could guess I'm a big fan...paired with a 1000 sahara it's a beauty combo

i'll check it out this weekend if they have it at bass pro. btw, i took your advice a few months ago with my wader inquiry, got myself the hodgman wadelites, and they are great.

and spiel, where would the best place to order the parts from if i did decide to have a rod custom made? i know of this site but are there any canadian sites or anywhere that would be better to order from?

thanks again

Depending which headwater streams you plan on fishing, a 6-7ft UL might be on the long side for what might be practical. In all but 1 or 2 streams I fish, anything longer than 5’-5’6” is too long to effectively pitch baits and lures to spots without smacking trees and bushes around you. A shorter rod may also pitch lures and baits more accurately in narrow, tree-lined rivers. Just something to consider.

where would the best place to order the parts from if i did decide to have a rod custom made? i know of this site but are there any canadian sites or anywhere that would be better to order from?

thanks again

If you’re thinking of building rods and getting parts from Canadian suppliers, Angling Specialties has parts.

You can also get them from here (from B.C):

http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/

or here in Caledonia

http://www.jccustomtackle.com/

Hope this helps