Report: Pics

TDunn

My fishing has been limited on the St Marys River this year so far. The past 2 weeks I have been finally getting downtown after work. Trips havent lasted much longer than an hour, here and there for either whities off the pier or walleyes along the shoreline. By the looks of things this summer, it could be a banner year this year on the river. Large husky jerks (HJ14) in silver/black, ghost and firetiger have been the best producing colours for me. Many of my outings have been solo but a few times Ive enjoyed having some company!

mweye004.jpg

mweye003.jpg

mweye005.jpg

mweye007.jpg

P6030343-Copy.jpg

P6060379-Copy.jpg

P6080391.jpg

P6080395.jpg

P6080401.jpg

P6080403.jpg

P6080386.jpg

P6080407.jpg

Lastnight we had planned to be on the water around 6pm but never actually launched until 8:30.

With daylight limited we had to make a decision of where and how to fish for Atlantics. We quickly decided to try American waters and do a pass with the riggers before we would begin casting. 10 minutes into the first pass a rod goes off and teds into the first fish of the evening which ends up being the thickest atlantic, Ive seen this year.

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

We quickly get the rod down and begin the same pass....10 minutes later in the exact same spot, another rod goes and its my turn. The line is screaming out and I say to ted "yup, its another good one man" only to then feel the rod go limp......Sometimes theres just nothing you can do about it.... :wallbash:

Again we reset the rods and the next pass producing nothing so we decided to pull the rods up and do a few drifts casting soft jerkbaits. This is where ted put me in my spot hooking 3 and landing 2 more atlantics while I didn't even get a follow :dunno:

He was pretty excited and I didnt mind playing netman at all!

TICS015.jpg

TICS016.jpg

TICS018.jpg

We ended staying and trying for walleye after dark but came up empty handed and decied to pack it in for the night. Fishing has been very consistant for all species in the river so far this year. Since work has slowed back down to a normal pace, I am very excited to get back out on the river on a regular basis and hopefully post some more reports soon!

Hope you enjoyed,

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Nice fish, some real brutes there. Nice underwater shot too.

I've kinda had that river in my mind for a bit in case I had the opportunity to go for a bit of a trip, but reports like this have really got me thinking......Is the fishing consistent throughout the summer or does it slow down a bit before picking up in the fall? If I get a few days off, which I may in July I might just have to go for a drive.

Nice fish, some real brutes there. Nice underwater shot too.

I've kinda had that river in my mind for a bit in case I had the opportunity to go for a bit of a trip, but reports like this have really got me thinking......Is the fishing consistent throughout the summer or does it slow down a bit before picking up in the fall? If I get a few days off, which I may in July I might just have to go for a drive.

Its "game on" in the river until it gets to cold to fish really. The smelts are in heavy so the

fishing will depend on weather now. Peak season is still a few weeks away.....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Those are some awesome walleye! Nice sizes! Have you tried a Rapala Taildancer size 9 in hot chub color? Those are awesome for walleye as well, don't know about that river though!

How far is the river from Toronto?

Thanks!

About 8-9 hours... Ya actually when I first started fishing walleye in the river, I used taildancers. Great Lure!

Anders...

According to bounty fishing the biggest fish was 27.96 Walleye on Bounty

The fish are always thick so I'd put it around 8ish. Its really hard to say.

TDunn

Awesome!

My biz partner is from the Soo, she tells me the fishing is amazing (once you figure it out). I can see she's right! Love the atlantics, and night eyes from shore....Mint.

Edited by Harrison

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet report as always buddy.

the atlantics seem to be real chunky this year. i haven't done as well with the eyes this season. 2 years ago i was averaging 5 fish a night, and some nights caught 12-15. this year, in a few hours down there after dark i've barely got any. still early though i guess...i generally did better as the smelt tapered off...