A bit of story - with a happy ending

canuckjack

As I've said before I'm pretty new to fishing, this is really my first year trying to get serious with it, and so there's a whole lot of different fish that I have yet to catch. This post is a bit long winded but hey it's a first for me so hope you all don't mind me rambling on a bit.

So far this year I've had a couple of good days of perch'n but then when Pickeral season opened up I made it my mission to catch me one of those bad boys. Problem is that I've been getting skunked real bad, I've probably been out on the St. Lawrence a half a dozen times and had absolutely nothing to show for it. I was trying everything I had in my tackle box in anywhere from 100' to 5' of water and nothing, nada, not so much as a nibble. This last Saturday was by for the worst, out on the water at 5:30 and tried for over 5 hours. After that I was feeling like quite the :asshat: and was definitely starting to doubt whether I had it in me to keep trying.

Well today I decided to drop into the local tackle shop because I needed a kit to replace the top guide on my rod. So I get to talking with the owner and ask her if she'd mind helping a clueless newbie out. She takes me around the store and shows me stuff I'd never even seen before and said try this setup and make sure you get out while the waters still choppy.

I raced home, changed out the top guide and managed to hit the water at 6 tonight, wind was still up and the water had a nice bit of chop to it. About 20 minutes in on my second drift I pull in this beauty.

IMG_1222_small.JPG

18" of fiesty Pickeral and he was kind enough to give me a couple good headshakes and runs on the way up. I was in about 65' - 70' of water and he was clearly bloated so I was a bit worried about the release but he practically jumped outta my hand and disappeared straight down. After that the wind died down, caught a rock bass and then that was it for the night.

Anyway if you stuck it out this long thanks for reading. What a rewarding experience after getting shut down all those times, man I felt like a kid I was practically shaking with excitement after I got him in the boat :)

Wat to go, on your first walleye. By the way what did she recomend to you to use?

Thanks Fishburn, I knew I was forgetting something. I'm not so good with the names of this stuff yet so I snapped a lousy pic for ya ;)

IMG_1228_small.JPG

She called it a bottom bouncer, put your favorite chartreuse spinner on the other side and add a worm.

Thanks Fishburn, I knew I was forgetting something. I'm not so good with the names of this stuff yet so I snapped a lousy pic for ya ;)

IMG_1228_small.JPG

She called it a bottom bouncer, put your favorite chartreuse spinner on the other side and add a worm.

Awesome report! Congratulations :D

Well, your hard work & determination finally paid off and you were rewarded with your 1st ever pickeral Jack, so congrats to that !!

Fishing can be frustrating at times, specially when your trying for a new species, but once you figure out their habits and what they like to munch on, you'll be boating them all the time.

Don't ever be afraid to ask questions :Gonefishing:

Anyway if you stuck it out this long thanks for reading. What a rewarding experience after getting shut down all those times, man I felt like a kid I was practically shaking with excitement after I got him in the boat :)

Awesome report :clapping:

That is what fishing is all about right there! Congrats on your first Wally and keep it up!

I had a similar experience when I started fishing for Browns. I grinded out the better part of 2 years only catching small guys on and off and nothing of note. Last spring it all just "clicked" and I started being able to locate BIG browns and land them consistently. My first one had that adrenaline rush you described and the same feeling like a kid experience. This year has been my best to date and it resulted in me buying a fly-rod to start learning all over again! It's a cycle Canuck, but a great, rewarding, relaxing cycle.

:wallbash: <----- That's what we'll both be doing when we start fishing for Musky.

You have the key attribute to be a very successful walleye fisherman, and that's perserverance. Most would have given up, so congratulations. Pulling harnesses on bottom bouncer can be very productive. In stained water use bright colors, in clear water more natural, although purple also works great in clear water. Speed around 1 mph and increasing as the summer progresses. When it's windy, find the most shallow flat you can fish on the windiest part of the lake and most times they'll be there. Fishing jigs with crawlers is also productive, usually either casting and retrieving or slow trolling at .5-.6 mph. Just mkae sure you are bouncing off the bottom and vary your retrieve/troll. Great job.

Guest Johnny Bass

Congrats on your first pickerel. When all else fails, a worm harness(the thing you have attached to the bottom bouncer) tipped with a worm is the way to go.

Some good tips there doubleheader.

Edited by Johnny Bass

grats jack! your determination finally paid off.

as for the eye getting out of your hands hopefully she survived.. they are pretty fragile, i dont like to catch them out of any deeper than 30 fow as they do tend to go belly up cause of their swim bladders. if your that deep again try to bring them up reeeeaaaallll slow for a better chance at survival. regardless tho glad you got one. your hooked on picks now! LOL :Gonefishing:

Edited by alexcba

Congratulations! This story really put a smile on my face today! I love it when you make a plan, do all the right things, ask a few questions, learn something in the process, and when you execute the plan, it all comes together with a reward!

Can't get any better than that. Way to go!

Wow, thanks for all the replies and great advice.

A couple of folks have commented on the depth. The depth range that was suggested to me was 60 to 80 fow, but I think to get around the possibly problematic release next time I'll just bring him home for dinner :thumbsup_anim:

As far as golf goes...well that's just a good place to have a few pints while out for a walk.