Back Up Sump Pump

Billy Bob

I just finished installing this water powered back up sump pump in my home....my sump pump has never failed me but it's 29 years old now so for a piece of mind I decided to go with a back up system and if the electric pump fails I will then replace it....this way if I'm not home when the power goes out I'm protected.

So if anyone is interested in something like this for their basements, it works GREAT and not too much of a effort to install

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/watersumppump.html

Bob

Donot take what I'm about to say, wrong, but I have to question some peoples intelligence.

It will not work if you are on a well and have no power. it will work if you are on a Municipal water sytem and have no power.

A nieghbour of mine (I'm not friendly with)had one of those systems. Last winter for about 3 months there was a ton of water (ice) flowing out of the side of his house and down the street. His system malfunctioned and he recieved a $3500 water bill. No break for him, as the meter turned out to be correct.

Looked good on him. I know when there is water running in my house and I would seek the source.

The back up battery systems are more efficient and less problematic, provided they are maintained.Be careful of the amount of pipe and lift that they have to overcome.I have to ask why you dont just replace the 29 year old unit.The water powered ones are very inefficient and the ones I have seen dont have the capacity to keep up in case of a burst pipe or heavy downpour.They have been around for years but have not caught on down here,it may be different where you live.Still better than having no plan at all.

Joe

I am on a well and as was mentioned, the water "powered" system would be of no use to me.

I did however install a 12 volt back-up system to my sump. It works well and I keep my deep cycle batteries from my boat in the basement beside the pump system in case I need prolonged battery power during the Winter / early Spring season.

Like Joe said. any back-up plan is better than none!

The back up battery systems are more efficient and less problematic, provided they are maintained.Be careful of the amount of pipe and lift that they have to overcome.I have to ask why you dont just replace the 29 year old unit.The water powered ones are very inefficient and the ones I have seen dont have the capacity to keep up in case of a burst pipe or heavy downpour.They have been around for years but have not caught on down here,it may be different where you live.Still better than having no plan at all.

Joe

Joe, these newer water back up systems are a huge improvement over previous systems. This Liberty water driven system pumps out 2 gallons of water for every gallon used to drive the pump at 40 psi and the efficiency improves with more water pressure (we have over 50 psi here). Once installed I tested this unit and it PUMPS at a VERY GOOD rate lifting the water without a problem...almost as good as my electric sump pump.

I found the pump here at a local dealer for $125 and with another $65 for plumping parts I did the whole job for less than $200. I looked at the battery back up systems and they start at 3X that amount and UP plus you have to replace batteries every so often. It was a no brainer in my case.

Why didn't I replace the 29 year old pump....GOOD QUESTION...I researched my present Wayne pump and it's no longer produced in it's present form....you see, mine is a BRASS pump and now you can only get plastic or cast iron. So I thought about replacing it along with installing the water driven back up system but just decided to do the back up system for now. This way I am covered if I'm away and the power goes out which in most storms it does. I have a generator but that doesn't help if I'm out of town. So for now I'm protected and sometime in the future I will replace Old Faithful with a cast iron pump.

Bob