For the tropical Fish Keepers

Fishnwire

I tried looking on some fish-keeping boards but there seems to be some debate. It is my understanding that smallmouth bass are not actually bass...but closer related to the sunfish. I have also seen sunfish listed as chichlids, and have seen them on chichlid websites. It is also my understanding that the term "chichlid" is taken somewhat loosely in the hobby...I'm no botonist.

-

Can anyone clarify things for me? Thanks.

-

\PS...Am I even spelling chichlid right?

Cichlids are not the same as the sunfish family. Here's some links:

The freshwater bass (largemouth and smallmouth) we are familiar with are of the sunfish family (the last I looked anyways from primary school).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichlid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrarchidae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallmouth_bass

Hope this clarifies things for you,

Stan

Smallmouth are a Black Bass, part of the Sunfish/Centrarchidae family.

-

I thought cichlid was a genus...a subgroup of a family. Perhaps sunfish, SMB and (for example) firemouth cichlids are all in the "Sunfish/Centrarchidae family"...but are they of the same genus...that being "cichlid"?

-

Like I said...I'm no botonist. Maybe I'm way off on a lot of things.

Cichlids are not the same as the sunfish family. Here's some links:

The freshwater bass (largemouth and smallmouth) we are familiar with are of the sunfish family (the last I looked anyways from primary school).

Stan

I could have sworn I heard the smallmouth and largemouth bass are not as closely related as their names imply...the same way a koalo bear is more closely related to the racoon than the bear. I'm sure I've read that the SMB is not a "true bass"...whatever that means. The quote that I seem to remember is "A SMB is not actually a bass, but closer related to the sunfish."

Kingdom

Phylum

Class

Order

Family

Genus

Species

We all remember that "King Philip Can Only Feed Green Spoons"...so where does the SMB, LMB, and cichlids such as the firemouth branch off?

They are the same order, different family.

SMB and LMB are same genus but different species. So the bass are much more closely related to each other than they are to cichlids.

Sunfish are a family that include the bass.

I'm assuming that wikipedia is more or less accurate on this topic...

They are the same order, different family.

SMB and LMB are same genus but different species. So the bass are much more closely related to each other than they are to cichlids.

Sunfish are a family that include the bass.

I'm assuming that wikipedia is more or less accurate on this topic...

-----

Thanks Bosh...you answered my questions fully without a hint of a patronizing tone...and even took the time to PM me to point out something I was ignorant about, in an effort to save me embarrassment. Like I already stated, you're a class act.

---

I nominate bosh for "Type of member we hope to encounter of OFC". I curtailed the amount of time I spent here a few months ago because some posters left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm going to be coming back more often now that I've had such a positive experience.

long time tropical fishkeeper here..have almost 300g of water in my fishroom lol.

part of the confusion may result from the fact that a popular sportfish in South Florida that was introduced from south america is the 'peacock bass' which is not actually a bass at all, but a south american cichlid (latin name Cichla Ocellaris). you see guys catching them on tv all the time these days. great fish.

Edited by 12 Volt Man