Friday afternoon Musky Fishing with my son Nick

Fisherpete

My eleven year old son Nick, after seeing my musky pictures from last weeks trip, had been bugging me all week to go out so he could catch his first. He managed to sweeten the deal for himself too - by getting me to agree to buy him a new game for hix Xbox 360 if he actually landed one. The idea of trolling really appealed to him too - just chill out and let the boat do most of the work!

We got on the water around noon, with a nice chop on the 70F water. Good thing there was some wind, because it would have been a scorcher otherwise. I started out casting in a weedy bay that produced a 35 on the opener. There were two guys in there, casting plastic worms... hmmmm.... <_< After half an hour or so, we trolled out of the bay, and Nick got a hit - which turned out to be a decent LM bass. We then motored over to the area that produced two fish last week. Quicky found the right depth, cast out, and less than a minute later BAM fish on! I could tell it was another good one from the headshakes. Nick is getting really good with the cradle, and she came in without a problem. Beautiful golden 43 incher!

DSCN1815.jpg

Continued the same troll, and about half an hour later, Nicks rod went off! He actually struggled a bit getting the rod out of the Scotty holder with the tension of a musky pulling on it, but managed, and fought her like a pro. Not bad at all for his first, a healthy 38 incher! He was a wee bit concerned about holding her after seeing those teeth, but she behaved long enough for a quick pic.

DSCN1818.jpg

A few more hours of fishing got two more muskies for me, a 33 and 31. These two were aerial acrobats, leaving the water on multiple occasions each.

DSCN1819.jpg

DSCN1823.jpg

I really wanted to hang around for the evening bite, but Nick had started to tire, so we packed it in. Pretty productive afternoon, and hopefully Nick got the musky bug!

Congrats,

That right there is an amazing experience for you and your son to share - it's a memory that will last forever and a great one at that. I experienced something similar today as my nephew (who I take fishing) caught his first Brown and went wading for the first time. Cheers. :clapping:

Thanks for that Pete, sounds like a fun day for you & Nick.

Congrats to him for his 1st ever musky, he'll remember that one for a long time. Sure hope your gonna frame that picture and hang it in a prominent place for all his buds to see :thumbsup_anim:

Good on ya Pete. I am happy to see your son has caught the BUG and well done on the aspect of calling it a day when HE gets tired. Nothing worse than forceing them to stay out when they have maybe lost interest

Like Lew said hang that picture or post the story and pic on his facebook/youtube.

Tom.

LOL...love the part about your son sweetening the deal for himself...great initiative shown right there!...damn i wish i was that smart at his age...damn...i wish i was that smart NOW!

anyway...great story...sure he'll get the musky bug now.

Great report and great pics....that last fish looks very clean...nice fish.