big fine in Kenora

grt1

Here's a news report from the dryden radio

the guy mentioned here works as a self employed guide and has a newspaper column in the kenora newspaper:

Too Many Walleye on Lake of the Woods

Posted by Mike Ebbeling on Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 am 11:53:46 AM

Two anglers have been fined nearly $4,000 for having too many walleye in their possession.

Brent Kruger of Kenora and Cynthia Nault of Winnipeg pleaded guilty to having 15-walleye over the legal limit.

The two were caught on Lake of the Woods back in April.

I'm of two minds on this type of thing (Maybe more, if you believe the rumours :whistling:)

I'm happy that someone who was abusing our resource was caught, punished and maybe publicly embarrassed.

I am ticked that there are people who are still doing this type of thing and doubly so someone who apparently holds himself up as a guide. I wonder what the circumstances were?

In 20 years fishing LOTW, my father in law saw the MNR ONCE!!! That was 2 years ago and they were on the boat railway going into Longbow Lake. It is such a huge body of water but there is next to no MNR presence. It's unfortunate because it gets abused to no end. We've had 20 walleye in the well but there was also 6 licensed fishermen in the boat. This guy should have known better, he is supposed to be a guide?? Jeez, one of the guides I know up there, Phil Killeen, curses up and down when he sees guys loading their boats, going back to their cottage to do some butchering and then go out again and slay more walleye. Then you have the people who go out, catch 2 and go have a nice meal. Why do you need tons of fillets?? Have a couple of fish frys and that's that.

Was this in there possession, as in fish in the live well or in their possession as in, in the freezer at home?

The possession or catch laws aply to both. Most don't even realize they your bag limits apply to total you can have anywhere.

• 8 months later...

Was this in there possession, as in fish in the live well or in their possession as in, in the freezer at home?

The possession or catch laws aply to both. Most don't even realize they your bag limits apply to total you can have anywhere.

It is a late comment, but it was about more then the fish they had in the boat. It was about what he had at home in his freezer too. The limit in the Boat was OK.

Question,... how many more of "us" would have been caught too? I myself do catch and release almost 100% of the time.

As far as I understood they got a tip. I am not really sure what they did to make him show his freezer otherwise.

Especially now this time of the year I heard a couple guys talking about all freezers filled to the lid.

I t was not the usual catch for the DNR Guys

Edited by Drydrop