More poachers caught

timmeh

Heard about this at work this week.

It's amazing how ignorant some people can be. These guys either have no clue, or just don't care what they were shooting at. They should lose their guns for a while IMO......

Two Ontario Hunters Convicted of Hunting Trumpeter Swans

ORANGEVILLE, Ont – June 10, 2010 – Two Toronto-area hunters pleaded guilty on June 2, 2010, to one offence each under the Migratory Birds Convention Act 1999 in an Orangeville court. Duarte Carvalho and Joaquim Inacio pleaded guilty to hunting one trumpeter swan each during a closed season. They were each sentenced to pay a $1,500 fine.

In September 2009, hunters reported that two large white birds had been shot at Luther Marsh near Grand Valley, Ontario. An Environment Canada Enforcement Branch officer and conservation officers from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources arrived at the marsh and, after questioning, laid charges against the two hunters.

In addition to the fine, Mr. Carvalho and Mr. Inacio are prohibited for one year from applying for, using, or holding a migratory bird hunting permit.

Trumpeter swans were once hunted and harassed to the point where, in 1933, only 77 were breeding in Canada. The swan carcasses in this case had large yellow wing tags indicating they were part of a restoration project to boost the trumpeter swan population in Ontario.

Environment Canada investigates offences with the objective of ensuring that companies, governments, and the general public comply with legislation and regulations that protect migratory birds. Environment Canada supports the conservation and protection of Canada’s natural capital through the enforcement of the Migratory Birds Convention Act 1994, Canada Wildlife Act, Species at Risk Act, and the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act.

I know the super at Luther Marsh from years ago... The pile of illegally shot waterfowl we used to collect was huge every year. The funniest part is all these so called hunters know the MNR sets up at the end of each day. Some people never cease to amaze me.

I know the super at Luther Marsh from years ago... The pile of illegally shot waterfowl we used to collect was huge every year. The funniest part is all these so called hunters know the MNR sets up at the end of each day. Some people never cease to amaze me.

I spent a lot of time in the marsh hunting phesant and just hanging out with my pup.

One of the best things about the marsh is all the dog trials they have there during the summer. On any weekend there could be three different competitions going on in there. They plant a lot of birds for the pointing competitions and we would get phesant, quail and chukar running around our place. :good::good:

I spent a lot of time in the marsh hunting phesant and just hanging out with my pup.

One of the best things about the marsh is all the dog trials they have there during the summer. On any weekend there could be three different competitions going on in there. They plant a lot of birds for the pointing competitions and we would get phesant, quail and chukar running around our place. :good::good:

So did I, trained my dog there on many occasions did his NAVHDA and CKC trials there, left a lot of live birds behind LOL.

I have a GSP, what do you have?

Had a yellow lab but she is gone now. :(

I am very sorry to hear that! My guy probably won't be with us much longer, he is starting to show his age and it is progressing quite quickly. He is almost 14 now so it is too be expected but boy it is going to be hard on us.

I am very sorry to hear that! My guy probably won't be with us much longer, he is starting to show his age and it is progressing quite quickly. He is almost 14 now so it is too be expected but boy it is going to be hard on us.

Yeah, she was a month short of 14 when we took her to the vet because it was wrong to keep her around when her rear legs weren't working any more. It was her time.

Now I have a stubborn husky to deal with. :lol:

Not a huntin' dawg but he likes fishin' :good::good:

P9240031.jpg