SERBIA!!!SERBIA!!!SERBIA!!!!

I've never been able to get into soccer(spent my formative years in hockey & football) but I've kinda caught the bug (no hockey ya know) and I'm finally getting it just a little. I've never noticed how much it's about controlling the ball and field position. It's pretty neat to watch at this level anyway. The individual skill levels are crazy. I find myself just watching their feet to see what they do next. Very cool on the big screen w/HD. Haven't figgered out the red card yellow card stuff exactly yet but I know it's about penalties. That extra time at the end of 90 minutes is a tad confusing too. Seems to me like the ref can pretty much just decide how much of a chance he wants to give the losing team to catch up. The 5 minutes at the end of the Spain game was odd, for instance, almost like "Hey, these guys aren't supposed to lose so let's give 'em a good chance".

So what games should I be watching for now?

JF

I would say that these should or could be good matches.

Slovakia - Paraguay --- 6/20/10

Mexico - Uruguay --- 6/22/10

Ghana - Germany --- 6/23/10

Depending on how they do in their next game these could be good also.

Slovakia - Italy --- 6/24/10

Chile - Spain --- 6/25/10

FLEX

Ya, the refereeing was horrible, but we still managed to hold on for a much needed 3 points!!!!!

NAPRED BELI ORLOVI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

serbia.jpg

dobro su oni igrali!

its unfortunate croatia didnt make it in.. clearly ranks reflect nothing lol.

I've never been able to get into soccer(spent my formative years in hockey & football) but I've kinda caught the bug (no hockey ya know) and I'm finally getting it just a little. I've never noticed how much it's about controlling the ball and field position. It's pretty neat to watch at this level anyway. The individual skill levels are crazy. I find myself just watching their feet to see what they do next. Very cool on the big screen w/HD. Haven't figgered out the red card yellow card stuff exactly yet but I know it's about penalties. That extra time at the end of 90 minutes is a tad confusing too. Seems to me like the ref can pretty much just decide how much of a chance he wants to give the losing team to catch up. The 5 minutes at the end of the Spain game was odd, for instance, almost like "Hey, these guys aren't supposed to lose so let's give 'em a good chance".

So what games should I be watching for now?

JF

Any that have Holland in them......

yellow card = the sissy who fell over kinda sold his dive.

red card = aka the oscar. the sissy who fell over deserves an award.

So hockey is just like soccer, only without the cards?

JF

Sorry guys, but soccer (football) does didly for me. I am impressed buy how hard some of these guys can boot the ball though. They should allow head shots and elbows and accidental kicks to the groin to the other players on the pitch against the divers and fakers.

So hockey is just like soccer, only without the cards?

JF

it sure is starting to look that way.. since more and more of the soccer players have entered the league anyway.

I'm starting to get it. The diving is really worse than the NHL. Just when I was thinking there should be a yellow card for faking I saw a ref nail a guy for not getting off the field quick enuf after an injury break. But some of those guys sure are good at sucking the ref in, and that's kinda crummy when they are able to get a second yellow against a top player so he's out for a game. But as an announcer pointed out - why was he in there at the end of a game they'd obviously won when he already had one yellow?

And I thought hockey players could be cheap shot artists when the game was out of reach. They got nuthin' on soccer players. I can only assume there are massive penalties for fighting or I'm sure there would be some major donnybrooks with some of the crap that goes on.

Anyway, I haven't seen Holland yet but I saw Brazil win. They're pretty impressive with the ball on the attack. Last night I saw NZ again. They kinda stymied the Italians which apparently was akin to the Leafs beating Chicago.

This FIFA stuff came along just in time. I was afraid I wuz gonna be reduced to watching baseball again with hockey over.

JF

Not a huge soccer fan, but I jump on the World Cup bandwagon.

Funny raf about the cards, in hockey a guy gives ya alittle slap on the cheek, you turn around, get the number and line him up on a later shift. I guess in soccer the only thing to do is roll around, wince in pain and if a card is given, well, you've got him back.

Unless, they truly are hurt? :whistling:

Unless, they truly are hurt? :whistling:

Do you include feelings in that? :clapping:

I can't get over the number of phantom whacks they get. Somebody needs to tell 'em how silly they look in slomo. But then I guess they don't care since what happens on the field in real time is apparently all that matters. Video reviews would necessitate an entirely new thespian skillset for soccer players.

JF

Sorry guys, but soccer (football) does didly for me. I am impressed buy how hard some of these guys can boot the ball though. They should allow head shots and elbows and accidental kicks to the groin to the other players on the pitch against the divers and fakers.

You need to watch rugby then :thumbsup_anim:

I'm really enjoying the World Cup but rather underwhelmed with England so far :angry:

You need to watch rugby then :thumbsup_anim:

I'm really enjoying the World Cup but rather underwhelmed with England so far :angry:

At least they aren't as screwed up as France. :w00t:

That whole club should be sent to the corner to stand until they learn to act their age. I feel bad for Ireland being out because of them and a bad call.

JF

video review would be nice but then the coaches and players would demand it every time someone slips cause a gust of wind went past them. i think more power should be given to the linesmen. that would help a great deal.

video review would be nice but then the coaches and players would demand it every time someone slips cause a gust of wind went past them. i think more power should be given to the linesmen. that would help a great deal.

The announcers were saying yesterday that there's a 4th observer (linesman?) who can advise the ref about calls. Not sure what that adds to the equation.

JF

yes, all the linesmen can infact advise the ref as they are all connected to head sets but the ref makes the ultimate call, and the linesmen usually keep their pie holes shut in order to keep the game going.. giving them the ability to call a play down would put a stop to the dives and shameful plays of some of these guys. i think the reason they dont do it is cause then they would have to worry about the linesmen and the refs taking money to fix games lol.