How Early

Billy Bob

How early do you like to get out on the water.....I have friends (I know hard to believe) that don't like going real early...I like to travel on the road before any traffic and be on the water just before light as I think it's the BEST time of any day even if the damn fish aren't biting again.

Now if I could just talk Tim Horton's into building right next to all the boat launches so I would have that second cup of coffee on the water as God intended.... :Gonefishing:

Bob

Depends, stream and river trout fishing... early no question, big water like Ontario or Erie going out to the blue zone 10+ miles out, been burned once too often by a predawn calm run out only to have a white knuckle run in shortly after the sun comes up and the winds pick up, I now wait a bit there before making the run out. Bass fishing, had good luck at all hours, but my favourite time was when my parents had a cottage in Haliburton and I'd get up very early and slide the canoe in the water with a flyrod amd work the shoreline, not so much for the fishing but enjoyed the quiet and the sounds of the world waking up. Walleye, Erie they bite good all day no hurry, the same Haliburtion Lake, eat supper early and go walleye fishing till midnite was the rule, never figured out a good daytime pattern there in 20+ years in that clear water. Never fished much Musky but my limited experience on Pike says that they really don't feed much in the dark, figuring I wouldn't get up early for them.

Edited by dave524

I've been a very early riser my whole life and always get up between 2 & 4 AM. I used to do alot of serious biking and would leave my home about 3:00 AM, 12 months a year, and ride 20-40 miles before sunrise. I love driving in the early morning darkness and when I'm heading out on a long distance fishing trip I sometimes leave home at 2:00AM

There's not many things nicer than being the only boat on the lake when the sun breaks over the horizon either.

Cnv1094-1.jpg

I love to be out very early in the morning. I know I am right on schedule when I'm hooking my boat up and the robins are flying around and its still dark out. I usually have to take the dog cause my buddies want to go at 7 or 8 am. Man I have been on the water 2 or 3 hrs by then. Its the most beautiful time of the day, the air has a fresh smell and the only sound is the birds and hopefully the drag on my reel making music for my ears. :clapping:

definitely an early riser. when it comes to river fishing for trout i'll normally be in the water knee deep by 530am @ the latest. on lakes theres nothing like watching the sun break thru.. even if the fishing is bad, as long as my best friend is with me then the bite doesn't matter. we've been fishing together since we've been kids and the entertainment value of it alone is awesome.. even after all these years we always have something new to talk about.

I don't do Tim's unless I have too....

I'm a BYOC... Thanks to my wife owning a cafe and pastry shop.

I grind my own Starbucks for the ride to the lake but I would pay $10 for a second cup at the launch so it's PIPING HOT while I boat to my hot spot. I even have Timmy's microwave my coffee (in my mug) for 30 seconds...BTW did you know it cheaper at Timmy's if you do bring your own mug.

Bob

I like both but I can get Starbuck beans at Sams club...can't buy Timmy beans here......Starabucks is a bit stronger and that's OK with me...

I have a Timmy's one block from my boat garage but none near any of my launches..... :wallbash:

Early, beat the boat launch cluster fuddle.

Never in Barrie!! :sarcasm:

I live 5 minutes from the boat launch and i pass by two tims on the way.. Never stop in though.. I'm a thermos man myself.

My niece's husband used to tell us..."show me a fish I can't catch at noon and I'll get up early with you boys"

We never could...

He is one of a couple of fishermen I have met in my life that seem to have a sixth sense of where the fish are and what they want...When nobody is catching any...they never got skunked...