How many of you use "GULP" ?

alexcba

i've used it once with some success and im thinking about loading up on some. i fished it vertical in about 20FOW on a jig. what are your opinions if any on it? i know i can check out vids on youtube about it but id rather hear it from this community.

Guest Johnny Bass

My opinion is that it is the closest thing to live bait. The only thing is that if left out for too long they get really hard and they can get expensive.

Edited by Johnny Bass

I LOVE GULP there I said it again if I am fishing for anything other then musky I will use gulp as it works and has helped me out fish many boat partners I have also lost a few pails over the years leaving them in others boats and when I get them back they are empty or I just don't get them back but I know they were well used.

lol awesome.. looks like bass pro here i come AGAIN!

does the spray on attractant have decent penetration on hard baits? i used to use the squeeze based thick viscosity ones but found i was reapplying alot of the time.

I bought 2 dozen minnows last weekend and they all died on me within 12 hours. I changed the water a few times but it did not help any.

I would also like to hear others input on gulp..Its the same price as 2 dozen minnows :wallbash:

I have a pail of leeches and used one so far and it was last summer. I put an octopus hook through one end and threw it out weightless. Within 2 minutes my line started moving. Ended up being a decent 3-3.5 lb largemouth. In my opinion it works.

the styles I have used have worked great for me, (Leeches, minnows, jerk shads, minnow grubs)

.. and lets just say i baught my gf a tub of the minnow grubs cuz thats one of the only baits she likes to use.. cuz well it normally always produces

Edited by fish-meister

IMO it's the action that the angler puts on the bait that is much more important than what brand it is. I've caught fish on gulp and will include it in my arsenal for bass this year, but it's not my preferred choice and I've done just as well on other brands of soft plastics.

I know they say it outfishes live bait but I'll never believe that. No matter how much scent or attractant you put on a bait you can never reproduce the behavior of live bait. I still very rarely use live bait, but that is for different reasons.

I'll probably always want live bait when I'm ice fishing...but in the summer, I have no use for it. I haven't really used GULP! but I know that my Power Bait lizards, worms, chiggers and tubes get hammered by the smallies I go after. Also soft plastic doesn't die, it doesn't have to be kept cool, it doesn't require water changes and takes up way less space. Live bait is an enormous pain in the butt, compared to soft plastic.

Yep, fish see more than they smell and action is more important than attractant most certainly. You can do fine with power bait, gulp, other brands of tubes, yum, bass magnet - any form of soft plastic like that.

Where I like added attractant is in Senkos - the Yamasenkos are the best because of their obscenely high density of salt impregnation which gives them that "drop" action that causes so many strikes.

The scent does come into play in one regard - I feel it helps the fish hold onto the bait for a little bit longer than an unscented bait. Gulp definitely has a good organic scent about it.

I've had decent success with it on the occasions that I have fished it, but I don't really find it outfishes other soft plastics, and definitely not live bait (but live bait is more of an inconvenience).

Id pick up a few, but I wouldn't go overboard. Spread it out over a few brands and see what you like.

Im not a fan of leaky buckets and a bait that goes hard in the sun ...Live Bait for me works much better then the Gulp crap

I agree with leaky buckets and jars,I know the stuff works but it drives me nuts with the stinky leaky containers.......still live bait works better for me aswell

as for the leaky containers I normally cut out a small X on the seal just big enough for me to pull a bait or two out.. and then put an elastic band around the bottom of the threads on the container seems to work well.. havnt really had any problems since! or you could store them In containers such as small peanut butter jars.. that dont leak. thats another thing I do

but hey.. what would I know ? haha

as for the leaky containers I normally cut out a small X on the seal just big enough for me to pull a bait or two out.. and then put an elastic band around the bottom of the threads on the container seems to work well.. havnt really had any problems since! or you could store them In containers such as small peanut butter jars.. that dont leak. thats another thing I do

Thanks, I'll try that....normally the smaller jars I use ice fishing were leaking. I like the baits the mess was upsetting

Man that is a good tip :good:. You are like that smart velociraptor in Jurassic Park that outwits the hunter who says "clever girl" before he gets eaten alive. Except you're a guy and human. :D

Edited by Syn