The Progression of a Fly Fishing Newbie

laszlo

Guest Rapala Boy

Since your into fly fishing I'll save you some hard work and let you know if your gonna be fishing for trout in small stocked ponds go with really small bead head nymphs. Sizes 14-16, smaller in clear water and a long leader with a large bright corky at the top as a float. Use a very very slow retrieve once the fly sinks a good amount, and I mean real slow like with just twisting your hand. If your fishing super pressured waters tip it with a small piece of trout worm and do the same thing. I learned all this fishing Trout Farms and working my way to heavily fished ponds at Glen Haffy CA.

By the way I never use my 5wt, only 8wt cause it has more power for longer roll casts. PEACEOUT!

Nice!

I also caught my first fish on my 5wt 2 days ago.

Then I proceeded to catch 20 more small bass!

Need to move on to bigger fish like yourself!

However, my casting still sucks as I've only been out with it once so far.

Keep us updated on your progress.

I can't wait to fight a steelhead on my 8wt :D

Since your into fly fishing I'll save you some hard work and let you know if your gonna be fishing for trout in small stocked ponds go with really small bead head nymphs. Sizes 14-16, smaller in clear water and a long leader with a large bright corky at the top as a float. Use a very very slow retrieve once the fly sinks a good amount, and I mean real slow like with just twisting your hand. If your fishing super pressured waters tip it with a small piece of trout worm and do the same thing. I learned all this fishing Trout Farms and working my way to heavily fished ponds at Glen Haffy CA.

By the way I never use my 5wt, only 8wt cause it has more power for longer roll casts. PEACEOUT!

If you're going to use a massive indicator and tip your flies you might as well cast a float and worm rig out.

8wt with a 16 hook? Talk about unbalanced! Tommy, you might want to take this *advice* with a good helping of salt ;)

ETA - good effort on the carp laszlo!

Edited by cuzza

Hit the river yesterday evening for a bit with my buddy Dan.

The Carp were out to play once again taking any fly we put in front of their faces.

Dan with 1 of 5 he caught.

dsc01431l.jpg

Now, moving on to some trout...