Steelheading The St. Mary's Rapids

nmstepan

I am going up to Sault St. Marie from Toronto, and I have heard that the St. Mary's Rapids offers some great Steelhead fishing. I have researched it a bit, and it seems that fly fishing is the way to go, but I am more of a roe and float steelheader....

As a first timer, I will likely stay away from wading but will have the gear. Would anyone have any tips or other areas to fish.....

Fish it the same way you would down here.

You may also want to take some bottom drifting gear (3-way swivel rig & slinkies) along with your casting rod to toss spinners, plugs, etc.

Have fun, can't wait to see your report when you return.

Cheers,

Tony

I have caught St. Mary's steelies on roe ( both bottom bounced and under a float), inline spinners( vibrax, mepps), worms, spoons, flies, jigs, and flatfish. It all depends where you're fishing. If you're wading be careful, its can get pretty slick on the rocks. There are some good holes on the inside of the berm but as was previously mentioned, there is an abundance of good holes on the other side but its alot tougher to wade (bring a wading staff and at the very least some good felt soled wading shoes if not cleated as well)

Good luck and be safe.

L.