Acoustic Guitars [NF]

Angler16

Hello all,haven't been on for a while been busy with school and i'm not into the whole ice fishing thing, but stoked I have time to post again.

I was looking for some advice on acoustic guitars. Im thinking of getting one after exams are over and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.Im not quite sure weather I want 6 or 12 string yet so some input on both would be great. I like a warm sounding guitar, lately ive been playing stuff from Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams but I also like to take other songs from bands and make them into an acoustic song like Iron maiden and stuff. Im willing to spend up to $400.

Any help would be appreciated,

Again, Happy to be back!

Thanks

L.A

We used a Yamaha acoustic to record the acoustic tracks on our CD and were very happy with the sound, however it belonged to the studio and I have no idea what it was worth. You may want to check out Godin Guitars. Very good quality in the price range you are looking at and Canadian made. They also sell guitars under several other names (Norman, Art & Luthrie, Simon & Patrick, Lapatrie, etc.). I have had a Norman guitar for almost 30 yrs and it still has excellent sound quality.

http://www.godinguitars.com/

Six-string is more versatile than a 12, so if you have one guitar, go that route and add a 12-string later.

Best thing to do is visit a couple of different music stores and play a bunch of guitars, then buy the one that feels right in your hands. Forget what it says on the nameplate. You buy guitars with your eyes closed and your ears open. I'd only suggest you forgo the real cheapies. For $400, you can buy a very nice guitar.

All the makes mentioned previously are good bets. I'll add Washburn to the list, since I have a 25-year old Washburn six-string that is still my favourite guitar. There are excellent guitars coming from Japan and Korea these days too, including the previously-mentioned Yamahas (I love mine) as well as Fender's current top-of-the-line electrics.

No complaints with my Norman. Picked it up for $325, cut away with a pick up. It was a scratch and dent deal, but I still haven't been able to find the scratches??

If I where to buy another guitar, I'd be looking at Seagull, I've always liked them, just couldn't afford one.

And I have to agree with all the Yamaha posts. They're work horses. I don't own one, but know lots of people that do, and love them.

Edited by F-is-H

Yamahas? I've had good and bad, Norman's are nice, Seagulls are very nice, and Godin make some great guitars. My advice is to go into Long & McQuade, try every guitar that catches your eye, even if there are 2 of the same model they may play very differently, especially with less expensive models. Low price doesn't always mean poor quality, just less consistant quality in the line. I've played some beautiful $250 Yamahas...

What it all boils down to is until it's in your hands, you just never know... Good luck with the purchase!

I gave up on buying guitars when I realized my son was just gonna confiscate them anyway. As he says "I'm good, you really suck." Not a very nice way of justifying theft but painfully honest.

I really liked my yamaha acoustics when I played. My bro is a pretty darned good guitar player and despite using only Taylors on stage and in the studio he has a lot of cheap(ish) Yammies and others that he really likes in private. He says the trick is mostly in setting them up right. The first thing he does is tear the guitar apart and tweak the neck, reshape the nut(?) and make sure the screws (machines) are working properly. Then he fiddles with the height of the frets (unless it's fretless of course) and finally uses decent strings. If you're really serious about smooth action & a sweet sound for not much money you might ask around the music world wherever you live and see if there are any player/mechanics like my bro who can suggest a good sleeper brand that for a few more bucks can be made sweet.

I picked up a no-name 12 string about 25 years ago (Sigma) that was of course confiscated. Now my bro and my son fight over who gets to use it. Rick (bro) set it up and likes the tone for the studio and Matt (son) really likes it on stage for his occasional breaks from the bass. Rick says it's the best feeling/sounding 12 string he's played since his Ovation (black round body) which he still kicks himself for selling in a poverty stricken moment.

From listening to my bro I've come to the conclusion that there's always the chance of finding a silk purse masquerading as a sow's ear (in guitars that is) that with a little work can be a pretty nice guitar.

Sorry if none of this is helpful but I was sitting here sipping coffe and it just seemed the right time to expound on something about which I know next to nothing. :P

JF

Edited by JohnF

Look around for some shops that have some used stuff. Down in Oakville there's 2 nice shops to poke around in. On Kerr street down towards Lakeshore, there's GEAR Music. They sell Yamaha, Martin and have some used every now and then. I bought a Martin DX from them a few years ago and can't say enough about how nice it plays and sounds. It's warmed up really nice and sounds great out around the firepit. I did take it right down to 12th fret in TO and have them do a set up.

When it gets right down to it take a trip to Long & McQuade and just pick each one off the shelf and strum away. If price, sound and playability is all good then mark it on your list.

I still feel a little wave of joy every time after picking up and tuning my Seagull.

When you are trying out potential new guitars, don't be surprised if the one you must have is a little outside your price range. You won't regret putting a deposit on it and delaying your purchase a little while longer.

I have a BC Rich 6 acoustic, "eyes closed-ears open" buy as Craig said. Best bang for my buck IMO, just love it!

Also have a 12 Takamine, love the full sound of the 12. Will admit I prefer playing my friends Yamaha 12 though!

Go with the 6 before a 12 for sure.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

for the style of sound and budget you have, i'd look to spend that full budget on a yamaha. also, the moment you buy it, take off the factory strings and put on something of quality. i myself use elixirs but any quality string will help you find your tone.

rock on!

Mine talks to me from the corner of our bedroom every morning when I get up ( my mother bought it from Sears when she was 16 !) Still a great sounding guitar (dubro).. some 68 years later..

Probably a Silvertone, right? There's some interesting history on that. I was just doing some reading on Dobro guitars.

JF

I learned to play on it when I was in public school.. so did my brother years earlier. Neat part was... while cleaning up Mom's belongings last fall...finding a picture of Mom holding it out on the fire escape of the Peterborough YMCA.. circa 1942/43 when she was shipped "in to town" to be a maid.

momguitar004.jpg

I learned to play on it when I was in public school.. so did my brother years earlier. Neat part was... while cleaning up Mom's belongings last fall...finding a picture of Mom holding it out on the fire escape of the Peterborough YMCA.. circa 1942/43 when she was shipped "in to town" to be a maid.

So I guess yer saying the price isn't calculable in dollars, huh? :D

JF