More fly fishing exploits

timmeh

I'm really starting to enjoy fly fishing, to the point that I've haven't brought out the spinning gear, with the exception of a few creeks too small and overgrown to work with my fly rod. I've already been eying up a shorter, lighter rod so I can challenge myself in some of the smaller systems I like to work from time to time. But that will have to wait to next year....

Got out a couple time the past week week and was getting a few smaller fish here and there when hooked into something a little larger. I saw the golden flash and I thought I had my biggest brown yet, but not quite...... After about 30 seconds I knew what was up...

IMG_0160.jpg

But at least I'm getting my nymphs to the bottom...

Anyway I only had to wait a couple more days to hook into my biggest fish on the fly rod to date. Measured at just a hair under 19".

IMG_0164.jpg

I've also picked up an underwater camera and had a chance to play around with it on some of the smaller fish. Future shop has the newer Fuji model on sale if anyone is interested. I'm looking forward to getting a few nicer shots with this camera. Unfortunately these are not so clear as the water was stained from the recent rains.

DSCF2006.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

The troutings been fun but I can't wait to get after some bass on the fly. Soon enough...

What weight rod are you using right now?

Right now I'm actually using a 6 weight rod. This was the one decision that I spent a lot of time thinking about. In the end I wanted something that would work for trout but would allow me to cast larger flies for bass as well. While the 6 is a little big for trout it still allowed me to get started. I had always planned that if I enjoyed fly fishing I would buy a lighter rod for trout in the future, and will hopefully do so next season.

MJL, it is a measure net. I wasn't aware they were supposed to float with a fish in so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will next time. I really like the net though as it allows you to get a pretty accurate measurement while keeping the fish in the water. No need to pin them down on shore and try to measure a flopping fish. I've found that by keeping them just below the water they actually remain fairly calm, making a measurement much easier.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by timmeh