The Brown that Couldn't be Tamed

laszlo

The quest for my personal best resident Brown continued Monday morning.

The first pool I fished produced this spunky acrobatic spring board within the first few casts.

dsc00851dt.jpg

And what a sweet looking pool it was...

dsc00856xm.jpg

The next hour or so only produced a small 8" Brown and time was running low. On my way back up river a fish absolutely nailed my spinner. It was it! Jumps all over the place. Going single barbless hook made it really intense. I got it to the bank and reached for my camera. One head shake and back into the river it went without a pic. DAMN! I'm guessing about 14-16". A photo for my collection would have been nice.

Next time...

Thinking back to last fall, this may be my personal best Brown. I'm just not sure if it was a resident fish or if it came in from the lake. I would say it was about 16".

dsc00080small.jpg

One more 12" Bow after that and off to work I went...

Hey Laz

From what information I could gather on brown trout, in many cases, it’s almost impossible to tell whether or not they are/will become resident fish or migratory fish. Some strains of brown trout are more ‘known’ for being migratory and others show limited migratory behaviour. Fish of the same strain and genetics can be resident or migratory. No one really knows what triggers them to migrate. The resident fish of the upper Grand were originally stocked with the babies of migratory fish from the Ganny.

Judging by your pic, your brown looks to be of wild origin…The blue spot on the cheek could possibly indicate that…If it’s from the river where I think it’s from, they don’t stock it with browns and there are much bigger browns to be had in there… :thumbsup_anim:

I’m hoping to get one of those Measure Nets myself…I hear they float and work pretty well as holding pens while I fiddle around with the manual settings on my camera.LOL