nippissing

Just curious if anyone fished nippissing over the last few days? Are the fish already in a summer pattern or are they still in late spring pattern? Would love to hear any updates or reports?

Thanks

What I have heard is that they are out deep. (so I have been told).

I'm up there on the south shore for a week starting this Saturday.

Water is still very low...

My brother-in-law just got back and he was there for 4 days and had to fish hard for them.

But they got them.

When are you going?

I'll post a report when I get back.. June 27th

And hopefully some nice pictures.

Cheers,

John

French River is getting more water ... from 154cm below historical ave. to 94cm today.

getting it from Nipissing (obviously), which has gone from 60 > 62 > 63cm (today) below ave over the last three weeks.

We fished for a week (May 29-June 4)in and around Cache Bay and Hardwoods, and our normal 8-10ft of water was more like 6-7 ft. Plus water temp was 73deg, so Walleye were long gone.

For once-a-year vacationers returning to the same spot each year, it was disappointing, and with no one around to help steer (guide) us elsewhere, we just sucked it up, caught a few Pike, and ate a lot of chicken and beef.

Good luck on your trip.

When are you going?

I'll post a report when I get back.. June 27th

And hopefully some nice pictures.

Cheers,

John

Going up on Thursday for 4 days. Callendar Bay area. We always do well in the spring but with the warm water, i suspect they are in a summer patern and this is not something I have ever done on Nippissing.

Right now the shads are just starting. They are all over the shore line in the west part of the lake. Calander Bay is still Shad free. The walleye are not that deep. Just 2 weeks ago we were getting them at 11 feet. Now try 15-20 fow. Jig on the bottom with worms or drift / troll with a spinner or harness. There will be lots of boats out just fish near them and watch. Maybe bring some binoculars.

Myself and 5 friends just returned. Fished hard Thursday to Saturday from Greening Bay. We fish there aroung this time every year. This was by far our worst year ever. 3 boats trying various depths, presentations and usual spots. Even at dusk when we normally do our best was poor fishing. Most others we spoke to reported the same, their worst year ever. Watching other boats in the area and on some nights saw no others with the nets out.

Could have been the weather pattern, start of the mayfly hatch or both.

I would have to guess they have already moved to their summer haunts deeper in the lake, but we tried there too.

Thank god I could drown my sorrows in some ice cold beverages ;)

well huey ... sorry about your luck, but you made me feel a bit better, cause you know the old saying ... "misery loves company" .

sounds so much like what our group of five (two boats) experienced for a full week (May 29- June 4th); there have been years past where we came up to our usual haunt (NW quadrant of Lake Nipissing ... Cache Bay ... Hardwoods) and THE FREAKIN TREES HADN'T EVEN BUDDED YET !! ... this year it was like mid-July, the shads were all over the place, water was too warm to swim in (a little exaggeration, but not by much), and Walleye were scarce as a good TV signal. :sarcasm:

Should our group decide to return to the area in 2011, for our 13th consecutive year (?), I am hoping for about 3ft more water, and temperatures closer to normal for late May / early June.

we're still catching them in Calander Bay. 2 more tonight. Lots of perch, rock bass, and sheepshead. The Shads are in the Sturgeon Falls area but not in the city yet. About 7 boats in front of the water treatment plant today.

Hey Thanks for the info Nip!

Cheers,

John

we're still catching them in Calander Bay. 2 more tonight. Lots of perch, rock bass, and sheepshead. The Shads are in the Sturgeon Falls area but not in the city yet. About 7 boats in front of the water treatment plant today.

Any notice of pike action being better than normal for this time of year? Also, have you targeted any silver bass in Calander Bay?

Any notice of pike action being better than normal for this time of year? Also, have you targeted any silver bass in Calander Bay?

Although our May29-June4 vacation only yielded four Walleye (three under the slot), and virtually No Perch, we did notice much better than normal Pike action. They were also generally in that nice 23-25 inch 'eater' size (for those who enjoy feasting on Pike, which I do). They were generally very aggressive and right on the bottom (since we were targeting Walleye) ... we also caught 3 or 4 really nice size, feisty silver bass.

We were in NW Arm of Nipissing, not Calender Bay, but thought I'd respond to your question, anyway.

Edited by JimC