Zebco Octane Spinning Combo???? <-- any good????

wellis1840

Last summer I got back into fishing. Hadn't touched a rod since I was a kid. At that time I introduce my son to it as well. Like his father, he loved fishing immediately. Got him a Rapala Spinning Combo that has had "reel" problems right from the start. My son had to deal with bird's nesting most of the time. Was told that the problem was due to my spooling the reel poorly. Re-spooled it many times without any improvement. Finally had it spooled by a guide. Still had the same problem. We are done with the Rapala Spinning Combo. Canadian tire has a Zebco Octane Spin Combo Reel and Rod for less than half price ($130 --->$60). Is this a decent reel and rod?

Thanks

Screen shot 2010.jpg

Screen shot 2.jpg

Last summer I got back into fishing. Hadn't touched a rod since I was a kid. At that time I introduce my son to it as well. Like his father, he loved fishing immediately. Got him a Rapala Spinning Combo that has had "reel" problems right from the start. My son had to deal with bird's nesting most of the time. Was told that the problem was due to my spooling the reel poorly. Re-spooled it many times without any improvement. Finally had it spooled by a guide. Still had the same problem. We are done with the Rapala Spinning Combo. Canadian tire has a Zebco Octane Spin Combo Reel and Rod for less than half price ($130 --->$60). Is this a decent reel and rod?

Thanks

Typically the combos you get a crappy tire and such are just that.. crappy. It's usually better to combine the pieces together yourself. Since you already have a rod from the Rapala combo, my suggestion to you would be to skip the Zebco combo and just buy a quality reel - Shimano and Daiwa both have reels in that price range.

Typically the combos you get a crappy tire and such are just that.. crappy. It's usually better to combine the pieces together yourself. Since you already have a rod from the Rapala combo, my suggestion to you would be to skip the Zebco combo and just buy a quality reel - Shimano and Daiwa both have reels in that price range.

Agreed, except for the Pflueger Arbor combo I picked up earlier this year. Great braid specific combo for walleye for $89.99 on sale.