Rice Lake Report

alexcba

unfortunately no pics, friend was worried about the weather affects on his cam so he left it in the car lol.

anyways...

We spent the night glued to the weather network, and our blackberries weather forecasting apps. we came to the conclusion that we would hit rice instead of little lake and hit the sack.

got up around 4:30am, put the espresso in the stove, moved the sonar into the car, and filled the cooler with water. out the door by 5am, we were in port hope by 6am so we decided to stop by timmies for breakfast. as we sat there we noticed lightning to the north and south of us.. we kinda just shrugged it off and said screw it! "vinnie you be my Captain Dan, i'll be forrest gump". lol!

we got to the lake at 6:45 and jumped into our rain suits. vince got into his ok, i struggled a little with mine and when i bent over to tie my shoes... "RRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP" lol it was good tho, i needed a little ac inside that thing.

we were on the water by 7am, there was a little drizzle, and not to much wind so i decided we go for ley point, got about 80 feet from shore and decided to cast. i tossed out an orange and black buck tail, while vince tossed out a perch X-rap. nothing was hitting and the sonar was awkwardly quite, usually its beeping like crazy in that one spot. i decided to push us out a little more to the north of ley point. we went right for the drop off from the point (18 feet) and drifted slightly back.

in about 13 feet of water we started casting towards the weedline. vince had changed over to a silver husky jerk, i had stayed with the buck tail. by his second cast "FISH ON" he pulled in a 13 incher. he casted out again, and again "fish on!" a 12 incher. i at this point decided to change over to a black and white bucktail with silver tinsel, first cast "FISH ON" another 12 incher. we stayed in the same area for about an hour and caught a few more, and some crappie. the bite went stale and so did the weather. the wind kicked up and the rain started pouring. so we headed for the west side of long island since it cut off the wind.

we decided to slow troll the drop off with deep diving cranks so i tossed on my wally diver and vince tossed on a silver rap. by the time the wally diver got down to its destination depth the rod bent over, i reel it in and whats on the end? a perch smaller than the lure it self.. lol! we did a few more passes and more perch. we then moved over to west grape island just north of the sunken island.

in about 10 feet of water the sonar started going mad. fish lining the bottom, and off at about 8 feet. switched over to the silver x rap and hit some nice walleye, a small mouth, and vince lost a huge walleye at the boat, it spit the hook just as he lifted up on the rod. had to be close to 30". we spent the rest of the day there casting raps into that little channel between weedlines and had some good times, lots of mix species, tons of walleye.

at about 4pm we moved over to the drop off at harmony island. we were at 9 feet casting into 3 feet. nothing seemed to be hitting, i changed colors to a perch colored buck tail jig and started casting far into the deep weed line along the outside southern tip of the island. "FISH ON!", vince then changed over to a perch Xrap, and "FISH ON!", most of them were between 12-16 inches. we kept 2 for dinner and that was our day.

so thats my first report. the next one i do will have pics, i promise.

anyone who got out there in the crap weather yesterday i hope yours was as eventful as mine.

unfortunately no pics, friend was worried about the weather affects on his cam so he left it in the car lol.

anyways...

We spent the night glued to the weather network, and our blackberries weather forecasting apps. we came to the conclusion that we would hit rice instead of little lake and hit the sack.

got up around 4:30am, put the espresso in the stove, moved the sonar into the car, and filled the cooler with water. out the door by 5am, we were in port hope by 6am so we decided to stop by timmies for breakfast. as we sat there we noticed lightning to the north and south of us.. we kinda just shrugged it off and said screw it! "vinnie you be my Captain Dan, i'll be forrest gump". lol!

we got to the lake at 6:45 and jumped into our rain suits. vince got into his ok, i struggled a little with mine and when i bent over to tie my shoes... "RRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP" lol it was good tho, i needed a little ac inside that thing.

we were on the water by 7am, there was a little drizzle, and not to much wind so i decided we go for ley point, got about 80 feet from shore and decided to cast. i tossed out an orange and black buck tail, while vince tossed out a perch X-rap. nothing was hitting and the sonar was awkwardly quite, usually its beeping like crazy in that one spot. i decided to push us out a little more to the north of ley point. we went right for the drop off from the point (18 feet) and drifted slightly back.

in about 13 feet of water we started casting towards the weedline. vince had changed over to a silver husky jerk, i had stayed with the buck tail. by his second cast "FISH ON" he pulled in a 13 incher. he casted out again, and again "fish on!" a 12 incher. i at this point decided to change over to a black and white bucktail with silver tinsel, first cast "FISH ON" another 12 incher. we stayed in the same area for about an hour and caught a few more, and some crappie. the bite went stale and so did the weather. the wind kicked up and the rain started pouring. so we headed for the west side of long island since it cut off the wind.

we decided to slow troll the drop off with deep diving cranks so i tossed on my wally diver and vince tossed on a silver rap. by the time the wally diver got down to its destination depth the rod bent over, i reel it in and whats on the end? a perch smaller than the lure it self.. lol! we did a few more passes and more perch. we then moved over to west grape island just north of the sunken island.

in about 10 feet of water the sonar started going mad. fish lining the bottom, and off at about 8 feet. switched over to the silver x rap and hit some nice walleye, a small mouth, and vince lost a huge walleye at the boat, it spit the hook just as he lifted up on the rod. had to be close to 30". we spent the rest of the day there casting raps into that little channel between weedlines and had some good times, lots of mix species, tons of walleye.

at about 4pm we moved over to the drop off at harmony island. we were at 9 feet casting into 3 feet. nothing seemed to be hitting, i changed colors to a perch colored buck tail jig and started casting far into the deep weed line along the outside southern tip of the island. "FISH ON!", vince then changed over to a perch Xrap, and "FISH ON!", most of them were between 12-16 inches. we kept 2 for dinner and that was our day.

so thats my first report. the next one i do will have pics, i promise.

anyone who got out there in the crap weather yesterday i hope yours was as eventful as mine.

Hey alexcba

Way to go with the fishing, glad to hear you had some luck.

I find that sometimes the lousy weather is just what the doctor ordered to get the fish going.

Can't wait to see your next report with pics. (you promised) lol

Stan

Edited by fishinfool

lol little lake is always on fire tho.. we usually boat 30 + fish there a day. i've never gone and been skunked.. i am however going next weekend to try and get me some of those monster walleye lurking in there.

lol little lake is always on fire tho.. we usually boat 30 + fish there a day. i've never gone and been skunked.. i am however going next weekend to try and get me some of those monster walleye lurking in there.

Heard of them being in there but have never found them myself. Crappie as well. I have only caught largies and pike in there.

yep, we catch quite a few bass there as well, on the east side of the lake. were just gonna go there and try exclusively for them. time to utilize the sonar to its full abilities. im thinking this place they may only feed at night or close to so im gonna try to smack them right in the face with it and see what happens, maybe get 1 or 2 angry enough to hit it.