Is it just me...

Radnine

As the title says, is it just me or is the Walleye fishing a bit tough this year (with all due respect to the guides on this board that catch as many as they want, whenever they want)?

I mean, I have been out three times now and while I have not been skunked, have not exactly had them jumping in the boat. And this is using known techniques in areas that have always produced in the past. Is it the early warm temperatures, water levels, Dalton McGuinty, the fact that I'm a tool?

Any thoughts?

Jim

This year for me has been different then most. I beleive the Walleye are about 5-6 weeks ahead of the spawn this year. This has not happened in a number of years like it has this year. I find the Walleye relating to structure now that they would be by 1 week in July. Where are you fishing for them. To be honest I have had my best year so far and not just in one reigion either. I'm getting tons in the 6-8 ft mark on the Kawarthas.

I beleive the Walleye are about 5-6 weeks ahead of the spawn this year.

Absolutely right! They are way ahead of schedule this year. The Walleye have been in their summer hangouts for about 4 weeks now!

Look for them to be on weedlines anywhere from 8-15ft, with deeper water close by.

This year for me has been different then most. I beleive the Walleye are about 5-6 weeks ahead of the spawn this year. This has not happened in a number of years like it has this year. I find the Walleye relating to structure now that they would be by 1 week in July. Where are you fishing for them. To be honest I have had my best year so far and not just in one reigion either. I'm getting tons in the 6-8 ft mark on the Kawarthas.

I have been to Rice twice and near Burke's Falls once. Have you thought of calling Big Cliff and taking him out?

Absolutely right! They are way ahead of schedule this year. The Walleye have been in their summer hangouts for about 4 weeks now!

Look for them to be on weedlines anywhere from 8-15ft, with deeper water close by.

Solid advice there Stoty. And to think that we new you when you were just a guy that liked fishing :clapping:

Thanks to all!!

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Because of working like 70 hours a week I have not been out on the water yet GRRRRR however anyone I have talked with have said the same thing. Especially in the north. The walleye bite has been slow compared to a record year last year. It makes sense to blame it on the weather. Last year water levels where higher, water was colder, this year its complete opposite. April first we had high 20 low 30s degree days which melted ice up north way faster then then normal years, i believe most spawns are triggered by water temperture. So it makes sense that we are 3 or 4 weeks ahead of a normal year and fish maybe in there summer locations already.

Even when the bite is tough, it just means you may have to work for it a bit more. What i always do and always tell others to do is to go spend some money at the local bait shops. They always know how to get on fish even in tough times. They love your busienss and want you to catch fish so you will come back They are your best bet to find fish unless of course you want to dish out the cash for a guide

Cheers!

Well, you all know what my record is like this year and I have been trying all the places, and things that others tell me they catching their limits with. I have had many tails torn off the pink jig with the white grub and plenty of hits but my record is unblemished again so far this weekend.

Actually that is not quite true, I did catch one this morning, right after that I caught a perch that was bigger than the walleye and the perch was no jumbo LOL. I just got back in from trying a bottom bouncer with a worm harness, caught a lot of small perch and a couple of good size sunfish and the small walleye. Then switched to the pink Jig with white grub for about an hour, nothing but perch hits. Then tried casting a bucktail for an hour, weed edges and heavy weeds, no takers.

Water still isn't that warm, 67-70°, there is a nice little chop on the lake thismorning and cloud cover, should be ideal conditions. On a bright note, I sure am learning how to use my new HDS5. It has taken a bit of gettiing use to (might help if I read the book). Oh well better a bad day fishing than any day working!

At the risk of over analyzing this, is it possible that we're victims of circadian rhythms (or something akin to that) in both fish and ourselves? What I mean is that are some of the more knowledgable among us relying on experience to say the fish will be acting a partiular way at this point on the human calendar while the fishies, being a tad less technologized, are saying when the weather has been this warm for this long according to their built in fish calendar, at this point in the sun's trip across my lake each day I am going to respond this way. Are us humans looking for behaviour consistent with a more normal much later start to summer? IOW if we try the methods that should work in about another month will we do any better?

Just a thought.

JF

At the risk of over analyzing this, is it possible that we're victims of circadian rhythms (or something akin to that) in both fish and ourselves? What I mean is that are some of the more knowledgable among us relying on experience to say the fish will be acting a partiular way at this point on the human calendar while the fishies, being a tad less technologized, are saying when the weather has been this warm for this long according to their built in fish calendar, at this point in the sun's trip across my lake each day I am going to respond this way. Are us humans looking for behaviour consistent with a more normal much later start to summer? IOW if we try the methods that should work in about another month will we do any better?

Just a thought.

JF

I think you've essentially got it John, the problem is that I go to Rice in the spring, not in July. Also, doesn't walleye fishing tend to slow considerably in July and August (now someone will post a picture of a stringer full that their dog caught in the middle of an August heat wave) meaning it's not me, the fishing is slow? Or is it me, 'cause I didn't make August adjustments in spring, anymore that I will probably make them in August?

Jim

I think you've essentially got it John, the problem is that I go to Rice in the spring, not in July. Also, doesn't walleye fishing tend to slow considerably in July and August (now someone will post a picture of a stringer full that their dog caught in the middle of an August heat wave) meaning it's not me, the fishing is slow? Or is it me, 'cause I didn't make August adjustments in spring, anymore that I will probably make them in August?

Jim

I think that's what a lot of the guys are saying, that they're just telling themselves it's actually 4-6 weeks later than it really is and fishing the way they would then.

JF

Its fishing as normal up here...although they are ahead of schedule, the bite is hot...that being said, you have to find them...like others said, look for weeds with deep water near by, the best for us this year is finding rock outcrops (or points) and look for the transition from sand to rocks...this has been key for us this year...slow presentation this year as well...slow jigging and also slip floats have worked well...Saturday night were getting walleye with a slip float 6ft below the surface, over 12-20 ft of water.