My First Muskie.... OMG!!

OMG YOU PUT ITS HEAD ON A BLUE BOAT SEAT!!! READ A FRIGGIN BOOK ABOUT MUSKIE FISHING

LOL

To the OP nice musky you did the best you could with what you had hopefully the fish survived and you now know you were a bit under prepared for the beast and won't do it next time I am scared to go for ski's cause I will prolly be hooked after the first 1 I have only ever had 1 on and didn't land it while pike fishing I'm sure this won't be your last musky post.

Well done Instructor!

No criticism here on this end. I find it ironic that the critics here give advice but none of them offer the best piece of advice. That advice would be to go out with anonther muskie nut. So here is my offer for advice.... If you ever want to go out muskie fishing and learn a few different techniques and hopefully some C&R methods, send me a PM and we will try to set something up. I won't be able to get you out until some time in mid July though.

Cheers, Ron...

That's solid right there. Nice Ron..

Cheers

Craig

Good stuff, Instructor! Some people get to be wizards at telling other people how to fish. Unfortunately for them, they usually remain "consultants" and never really get out themselves. Don't worry about it. Go catch another, then another, then....well, you know how it goes.

But they're right about the blue seat. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the congrats, I really appreciate it :)

I will be buying some proper C&R gear tomorrow morning before I head out for round 2 tomorrow night. "Hopefully I will be able to post another good pic. This time I am taking my Cuz with me for the trip, and now I know better what to expect for one of these monsters.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S. Thanks for the offer Ron, I will probably take you up on that!

I have a tip, get a tripod for your camera and learn to use the delay timer on your camera so you can take a nice picture of yourself holding your next musky so it's not resting on the blue chair again.

musky fishing is like heroin. The first taste is the best.. then you keep going looking for that same feeling you got when you got your first one... But thankfully with Musky as oposed to the compared substance, you DO get that feeling back when you break your PB for length and for weight class and you will make friends instead of lose them.. unless your a scots ! :rolleyes: GO GET EM!

Nice fish and congrats on your first musky. :clapping:

Just to add on what a couple have said...I agree with Raf, I wouldn't bother with jawspreaders, I've got a pair in my boat and never use em. Get yourself some knipex cutters or at least to get you started CTC usually has small bolt cutters. For nets, since your boat is a on the smaller side, you might want to consider a Stowmaster net. They fold nicely when not in use.

Jim

Congrats on your first!

Gearing up properly can be expensive; especially through trial and error! Join Muskies Canada and get out with experienced guys. It can really help making your gear decisions when you see the stuff in action.

thanks again everyone for the tips and gratz. I will be heading to the shop today to pickup some proper c&r tools so I will be better prepared. Don't want no dead fish on my hands thats for sure.

That's a great attitude man. These things are a learning curve like everything else in life. Again, congrats and keep the great reports coming (and welcome to the community).

dont take it personally. they do know what they are talking about.

well said....and congrats on the first musky...

friendly FYI...posting pics on the internet is inviting everybody to congrats or criticize as they want, esp with musky and steelies, posting those pics draws a ton of attention....take it with a grain of salt...even the ones "criticizing" you did have good points about proper C&R that shouldn't be ignored...

Nice musky and to think you have many more to get as for the release we were all there when we started and you will find alot of help here this is where it all started for me and some of the guys who helped me along the way are doing the same for you.

Congrats and if yer ever down by Lake St.Clair look me up we will get out if I am around when you are down here. As for that Ron guy he Ok and might know something or at least he will get the fish to go to the other boats in the area but you will be right there to take the pics.

Nice fish man! The first muskie always sticks in your mind. Mine was only 34.5'', and I caught it while fishing bass. It's pretty sweet to catch your first actually targeting the species. Looks like a decent one too (42''...ish?).

I would spool up with 80 lb. braid, this helps you to get your fish in quickly. Even on big fish, my fights usually only last about 30 seconds or so. Also, at the bare minimum, you should have a muskie sized net, or large cradle, long pliers, and good mini bolt cutters.

These days my fish are only out of the water for a quick measurement, and photo. Then back they go. However, I'm sure I killed a fish or two unintentionally when I was staring out. Don't sweat it, just make sure that you're well prepared. For such a large mean fish, they're surprisingly fragile.

Again, way to go man. Keep the photos coming.