Any tips for a Rookie ????

Lunker777

Hey everyone !!!

I just registered for my first Bass tournament... I signed up for the July 17 BFL event on the Detroit river !! I signed as a co-angler seeing as I dont have a boat ! haha

Any one have any tips from experience ?

Im pretty excited to try this new venture out, I have been thinking about it for a long time, but always thought I needed a boat, or to know someone with a boat. It should be a fun time and a great learning experience !!!

The Detroit River and Lakes Erie and St.Clair have a lot of Smallmouth, these aggressive fish are a bonus for the guy on the back! If the guy on the front finds a tube bite, get on it too. If the front ender finds a school on a flat, rig up the hot bait, and start casting...there are lots of fish for you too.

With more isolated fish don't try to compete head-on-head with the guy on the front of the boat!

It's usually smarter to throw something a little different. Look for alternatives, often if you throw something either smaller or lighter than the other guy you will do okay. A slightly different approach might be to use a floating worm or soft jerkbait like a Fluke or soft swimbait behind a guy fishing a Husky Jerk etc.

When things are tougher, think "down-size" If the front man has a Senko, you go Finesse worm...Watch the depth finder...If you see a blip, drop a shaky-head straight down and work it.

Your looking for the fish he isn't fishing for.

Look for the reverse angles...If your guy is flipping or casting dock for instance, the opposite side of docks, from your direction of travel, might be unfished water. You can also cast to "non-targets." This would be the water between the obvious spots that the front guy will be fishing. Unless the guy on the front is using one, a Carolina Rig can be deadly from the rear seat. It casts far and sinks fast.

Have a high quality rain gear and wear it. 99% smallies keep your selection of rods down. Don't have your stuff spread all around the back deck. When the pro says we are moving get in your seat now. Make sure the pro has a bicycle seat for you it can and will get rough.