HST check?

TC1OZ

Anyone else make less than $160k a year and get one of these checks in the mail yet?

I doubt this extra money will even cover the extra taxes on my gas bill, let alone all the other things that are going up....

Not too happy about this HST crap! :wallbash:

you get one provided you filed 2009 taxes

the cut off is at 80k for single, 160k for family.

ie. single, under 80k, you get $100. 80-82k you get somewhere between 0 and $100. Over 82k you get nothn.

family, under 160k you get $330. 160-166,600 you get somewhere between 0 and $330. Over 166,600 you get nothn.

Don't spend your bribe in one place Ontario.

Edited by Raf

I saw that as well this morning when I signed onto my online banking - also $100.

I still get the check format as I don't want tax money being directly deposited.

It says I'm getting 2 more payments through out the year, I assume my wifes payments are attached to my check. (and the kids i guess?)

I got $330.

Edited by TC1OZ

1 - i don't like being taxed more than i already am.

2 - i fear what it'll do to the economy. People will hold their wallets tighter and buy/spend less. It may be incrementally less....but it will be less. All he'll accomplish is taking a higher % of a smaller consumer-economy. Way to go, Dalton.

The other side of the proverbial coin?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/the-hst-is-no-cause-for-alarm/article1598372/

The HST is no cause for alarm

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Published on Wednesday, Jun. 09, 2010 9:00PM EDT

Last updated on Wednesday, Jun. 09, 2010 9:14PM EDT

Anti-HST hysertics ought to look at some new hard data coming out of Ontario. It shows how small the impact will be on Ontario’s middle-class households, and a deeper look at the study provides a lesson for those British Columbians thinking of joining the anti-tax crusade.

Using data from the Ministry of Finance’s tax records, counting 5.3-million households, and spending habits from Statistics Canada (based on 26,000 households), the Ontario government study is as reliable a test run of the likely effects of implementing the HST as we’re going to see.

In the first year, buoyed by one-time tax incentives, almost all households will enjoy a net cash benefit, in the hundreds of dollars. By the third year, households making up to $60,000 will still be better off, while households making more than that will pay a modest price (from $45 to $295 for households making $60,000 to $150,000). Over the long term, it is practically a wash.

If anything, it presents a worst-case scenario for what taxpayers can expect. The projections do not factor in the economic growth that would inevitably be brought on by implementing the HST and making other tax changes (such as cuts to corporate, capital and income taxes). It also assumes that businesses would pass on only a very modest proportion of savings from falling prices for their goods on to consumers – only 20 per cent in the first year, and 90 per cent in the third year, rates below those made in other projections, including by the Bank of Canada.

It’s important to dig into this level of detail because of too much of the opposition around the HST is driven by fear, not fact. The HST’s costs are explicit while the benefits are largely hidden. Many services that were once only saw federal tax (the GST, at 5 per cent) will soon be taxed at the provincial rate as well, adding up to 13 per cent in sales taxes. These are inescapable realities, and some sectors will be hurt.

The opponents fail to mention the other side of the equation, though. Items that are currently taxed multiple times, as they go from raw material to finished good, will fall in cost through a system of tax credits. 70 per cent of these savings will go to government, exporters and towards reduced home construction costs, creating indirect benefits for consumers.

The net pocketbook impact is modest – around the price of a family trip to the movies – using the most conservative assumptions, and the economic upshot is tremendous – businesses will be more competitive and face less paperwork. That makes the opposition to the tax on grounds of personal finances without merit. British Columbians should tune out fear-mongering and embrace this chance for greater prosperity.

According to the Toronto Star, most of us will be paying $480 more by 2012.

This may be disguised as an economy-booster, but make no mistake -- its a tax grab, and a BIG one.

Also funny that you're going to be taxed on the cheque that you received today. Talk about a bait and switch.