loons, bears, and stars

brandon

I headed back up to the Kirkland Lake area last week for about 6 days to take some photos....here's result....enjoy!

All the loon shots were taken with a Canon 1D MK IV with a 500mm lens + 2x extender from a kayak

AH3G1471-1-1.jpg

AH3G1573-1-1.jpg

AH3G1629-1-1.jpg

AH3G1707-1-1.jpg

AH3G1770-1-1.jpg

AH3G1858-1-1.jpg

AH3G1890-1-1.jpg

The bear shots were also taken with the 1D + 500 + 2x extender...however not from a kayak

AH3G2272.jpg

AH3G2335.jpg

AH3G2418.jpg

Star photos were each 15 second exposures with a Canon 5D mk II and a Canon 14 mm f/2.8L lens. ISO 800 @ f/8

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

Edited by brandon

Great pics as usual Brandon!

It seems to me that the loon shots are sharper than the bear shots, although the loon shots are probably stopped down more?? (and it's more difficult since you're floating on the water)

As for the star photos, they're done by stacking multiple shots taken under a certain duration, is that correct? It's pretty cool, I have to try doing some of those myself.

Edited by Victor

Hey Victor,

The loon photos and bear photos are actually the same sharpness when zoomed in on. I think its a bit of an optical illusion because there's more of a cluttered background with the bear shots.

And those star photos are only one photo each. One 15 minute exposure at f/8 ISO 800 for each of those shots.

Edited by brandon

Hey Victor,

The loon photos and bear photos are actually the same sharpness when zoomed in on. I think its a bit of an optical illusion because there's more of a cluttered background with the bear shots.

And those star photos are only one photo each. One 15 second exposure at f/8 ISO 800 for each of those shots.

Oh I see.

I have seen other people's work where they stack multiple shots to get star trails. I'm suprised how much those move in 15 seconds. Quite interesting, will try to get some shots like that when I go somewhere without so much light pollution.

Thanks and please keep posting your work! :worthy:

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a remote and a sturdy tripod you can achieve those stars effect by playing with the shutter duration. If you don't have a remote you can set it on timer and set to the desired shutter speed in manual or shutter mode. Manual mode offers more control for this type of scenario.

• 3 weeks later...