Smoker...

Gerritt

Wow funny i am reading this, i too am in the market and asked for price on the big green egg WOW

price is with frame and side fold down wings and without frame if your going to mount it in a table

ex-large $1500.00 and $1770.00

large is $1100 and 1360

medium is 900 and 1140

sm is 700 and 840

Here is last nights feast.

Apple Wood Smoked.

Chicken Breasts, stuffed with Gouda and Jalapenos

DSC01440.jpg

Fennel Sausages from a local butcher

DSC01439.jpg

Left overs tonight!

A couple of new menu items for the next trip to Bernie's is see. The chicken sounds and looks very good. The sausages would make a fine pork candy. lol!

Decided to try Moink balls for the first time! I hope I can now be certified.... the girlfriend would be ecstatic LOL.. I also smoke up some Chorizo and man did they turn out fantastic! The kids would not leave me alone at the BBQ once they had a sample of the Moinks! they were inviting friends over in the neighbourhood etc.. it got chaotic!

anyways enough of the blabber... and onto the pron..

I started with these...

DSC01451.jpg

and a couple packs of this..

DSC01452.jpg

Labour intensive...

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

this helped!

DSC01455.jpg

Off the Q... am I certified yet?

DSC01457-1.jpg

the chorizo

DSC01458.jpg

Veg..

DSC01460.jpg

and some more..

DSC01459.jpg

Ready to dine..

DSC01462.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, I know I will!

G

Yeah, you're certified Gerritt. That all looks great! What's the glaze, Gerritt?

PC tequila habanero sauce, the meatballs were rolled in Plowboys before being wrapped.

Wish I could make up there Randy.. but these were smoked low n slow using a mixture of Apple and Cherry chunks, as well as RO Lump, on my barrel smoker.. I would need a smoker to make em up there..

G

nice smoking G. I picked up this unit http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10212357_325009001_325000000_325009000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH on Sunday and can't wait to use it. I have already cured it.

Looks like a nice unit! be sure to post some pron into this thread!

G

gerrit - any tips for your stuffed chicken breasts? temp? and how long? they sounded soo good i tried your recipe last night only difference i wrapped them in bacon to help hold them together. unfortunatly i they where a bit too dry think i over cooked them but they where still delicious.

i just picked up an electric masterbuilt smoker when canadian tire had their big sale a few weeks ago so far iv done ribs, rainbow trout, ribs and gerrits stuffed jalapeno and gouda chicken breasts, lookin for some good ideas the bacon wrapped meatballs look pretty good. anybody ever use this model of smoker before?i think i may have to make a few modifications to get moke smoke from it

ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds).....

Cut and clean the jalapeno peppers... the more membrane you leave, the hotter they will be on average.

ABTs10_17_09.jpg

Pipe in a stripe of cream cheese (mix some seasonings in there too)....

ABTs10_17_091.jpg

Add a Lil' Smokey (cocktail sausage - I cut them in half)...

ABTs10_17_092.jpg

Wrap in bacon....

ABTs10_17_093.jpg

Put them on the smoker (for about an hour)...

ABTs10_17_094.jpg

Done.... and enjoy!!!

ABTs10_17_095.jpg

And be careful.... they are very adictive!!

Burt :)

Looks great, Burt. OK, who stole the first piece on the bottom skewer? eh?

Roy is as sharp as a hook I tell ya... :clapping:

Burt, those look great!

Gerritt, I will post when I have time for my first smoke.

shan&jay, you may want to get *can't think of the name of the product right now* to seal the door better. I know I am on my gas one. Too much smoke is getting out and I have to switch to Apple chuncks rather then chips.

I don't know what it is like with the electric or gas smokers, but with the Weber... less smoke is sometimes more...

I use maybe 2 small fist sized chunks of wood (usually cherry or oak/fruit wood) for the entire process. Once the Weber is up and running stable, you really don't see any smoke coming out the top, just a thin, bluish vapour. You don't generally want to be adding smoke wood all the time as you can easily overpower some meats (especially fowl). This is "hot smoking" or BBQ'ing though.... 220-250F. Although I routinely do pork shoulder and ribs above this temperature with fantastic results.

Burt :)

Man...I really gotta learn this smoking technique. The food looks too fantastic to pass up! Anybody know of any informative books out there that help out with recipes for smokers? I think I'll look for a cheaper, in price, smoker to start off with though.

smoked rainbow trout:

brine- couple cups of watter

about a 1/2 c of brown sugar

about half cup of coarse salt

let sit in fridge overnight

rinse with cold watter

pat dry with paper towell

top with some cracked black pepper

smoke for about 4 hours

i used mesqite chips cause thats all i had but alder is prefered for fish

1st time smoking fish and it turned out amazing

P6070869.jpg

Man...I really gotta learn this smoking technique. The food looks too fantastic to pass up! Anybody know of any informative books out there that help out with recipes for smokers? I think I'll look for a cheaper, in price, smoker to start off with though.

This is a great resource dedicated to all things BBQ.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com

G.