Ready for the water?

TC1OZ

Just want some feed back to make sure I have my arse covered here.

I have a 14 foot tinny and I'm putting a 50# thrust trolling motor on it.

Since I don't want to wear my life jacket I assume I need to follow the rules for a Sail and Powered Please Craft up to 6 M.

If I understand this correctly I need :

A life jacket for everyone on board.

A bailer (I'm buying the $9.99 kit from CTC comes with a whistle and a bouyant line)

A bouyant heaving line.

A water tight flash light.

I also plan on having two home made anchors and a paddle, even though I don't think its required. (again, if I understand correctly)

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions? Or if I misinterpreted the rules.

Cover your arse and your life . Don`t chinch out on safety equipment , the more the better .

If I wore a life jacket, I wouldn't need any "safety" equipment to be legal due to the size of the craft and me only using an electric motor.

But since I don't want to wear a life jacket I need the essentials.

I'm not even going to get into the life jacket debate as I'm sure everyone has an opinion and as of right now I don't have to wear one if I don't want to.

If I wore a life jacket, I wouldn't need any "safety" equipment to be legal due to the size of the craft and me only using an electric motor.

I'm not even going to get into the life jacket debate as I'm sure everyone has an opinion and as of right now I don't have to wear one if I don't want to.

I actually find the above statement a bit disturbing. I want to make sure I get back home safe and sound. Be that as it may, as you say, its your choice.

That kit you bought from CTC, open it and confirm the contents. The flashlights do not come with batteries, you have to supply them. Otherwise if you are checked and it does not work, you get fined.

I actually find the above statement a bit disturbing. I want to make sure I get back home safe and sound. Be that as it may, as you say, its your choice.

That kit you bought from CTC, open it and confirm the contents. The flashlights do not come with batteries, you have to supply them. Otherwise if you are checked and it does not work, you get fined.

"Only" using an electric motor makes no difference, it powered, be it by electric or other fuel. Only armstrong(muscle..human powered) makes any difference.

Wouldn't it be considered a personal watercraft if both people were wearing a PFD?

The website is a little vague for some parts, or maybe its just me.

It is always better to be over prepared than underprepared. You wife and kids won't mind if you come home after an incident because you spent more on safety equipment than you were LEGALY supposed to. However they WILL be very upset if you don't come home. 20/20 sight is best used in foresight than hindsight.

Just to clear this up for everyone I only plan on going to places where I can usually stand in the water or swim to the shore in less than 20 strokes...

But I appreciate all the concern, I just want to be off shore and legal.

And my father has a nice boat that's good for bigger water but it stays at the cottage, this is just something to get me off shore trolling around for pike and bass (when they open)

Edited by TC1OZ

I don't think so.

If your battery dies an anchor instead of a paddle won't help you much.

The anchor will do more than 2 paddles ever will in a strong wind (if its the right anchor) my brother got caught in a wind storm on long point fishing the marsh along the causeway and his tolling motor died trying to get back to Pt Rowan he threw his anchor and called for help he was half way to EC-10 when the guys got there to tow him in. he now has A LOT more respect for the water and for the weather he was heading for the outer bay with a anchor down with 50' of rope out in 8 FOW .It's better to have to much than not enough .

I think everyone is missing the point that this guy (TC10Z) is making sure he has all the safety equipment BEFORE he goes out. That's the whole point of this post. He's covering his bases. So, even if he isn't wearing his PFD (which most of us don't during fishing hours on a boat) he'll be covered both for safety and potential police run-ins.

He's doing his homework, so there's no need to take the moral high-ground here and preach at him. As of now, he is still allowed to make decisions on his own safety based on circumstances.

And for the record for anyone who may reply to this, I agree with the proposed law to make life-jackets mandatory for MOVING vessels under the mentioned length.

TC, just check off the boxes on your checklist, put that stuff in your boat, and catch some fish. Also, post a report of the fish you caught.

Cheers

seems like your covered bro.

i use life jackets as seats lol, but i also have an awesome one i picked up a while back that holds alot of my tackle.. looks like a bullet proof fishing vest, i decided to buy 4 cause it covers everyone on board, its not red (its a dark green) and theres pockets everywhere lol. anyways if you ever feel the need to want to wear one somethin like that is awesome. i wear mine out all the time cause more than half my cranks and jigs are in it.

seems like your covered bro.

i use life jackets as seats lol, but i also have an awesome one i picked up a while back that holds alot of my tackle.. looks like a bullet proof fishing vest, i decided to buy 4 cause it covers everyone on board, its not red (its a dark green) and theres pockets everywhere lol. anyways if you ever feel the need to want to wear one somethin like that is awesome. i wear mine out all the time cause more than half my cranks and jigs are in it.

How much and where did you get it?

I believe the rules have changed for PDF's in that you don't only need one for everybody on board, but they also have to fit. Years ago, we used to throw some some kiddies

ones in the boat to save space and be legal, but I dont think that would work any more.

Just FYI

...Scotty

I think everyone is missing the point that this guy (TC10Z) is making sure he has all the safety equipment BEFORE he goes out. That's the whole point of this post. He's covering his bases. So, even if he isn't wearing his PFD (which most of us don't during fishing hours on a boat) he'll be covered both for safety and potential police run-ins.

He's doing his homework, so there's no need to take the moral high-ground here and preach at him. As of now, he is still allowed to make decisions on his own safety based on circumstances.

And for the record for anyone who may reply to this, I agree with the proposed law to make life-jackets mandatory for MOVING vessels under the mentioned length.

TC, just check off the boxes on your checklist, put that stuff in your boat, and catch some fish. Also, post a report of the fish you caught.

Cheers

Finally someone who read my post and not just make assumptions!

I forgot how an honest question can turn into a flame post in no time...

The CT safety kit contains a rope, flashlight (no batteries), a whistle and of course the container which doubles as a bailer. You need that, a paddle, a lifejacket for yourself and EACH passenger, and an anchor. You are covered with those items.

Now get out there and catch some fish.

How much and where did you get it?

i got them a while back at canadian tire. they are

Northern Escape-786 Sportsmans vest. i forgot what i payed.. they may have been on sale at about 40 bucks i think.. this was a few years ago. i've even tested the buoyancy when my buddy "accidentally" hit the pedal on the thruster and i went flying into stoney lake lol.

99674d4_19.jpeg

Edited by alexcba