Information on Muskie Fishing

I have planned a trip out to the French river for a 5th year in a row and usually I target pike and bass. Last year though I got hooked on muskie fishing for when I was trolling a 3 inch Husky Jerk I hooked a 55inch muskie. I was able to land it and release it safely. That exhilaration that came with hooking a fish that immense has never really left me all year and as I am about to make my way up to the French river I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some Muskie fishing tips for spring/early summer, recommend some lures and information on everything to do with muskie fishing

Thanks

Edited by Chris Krzyzanowski

Make sure you read up on how to handle and release Musky properly. They're big, but very delicate. Sometimes you need to allow a lot of time for revival. I've been a big supporter of having a proper Catch-and-Release topic pinned to these boards for musky and all other species of fish, so please do your research before you end up on the water.

Some Resources:

www.petemaina.com

www.muskyhunter.com

Ryan

Make sure you have the proper equipment to handle these fish too. Stout rods and powerful reels. I use 80lb no-stretch superline. This ensures a quicker fight and hence less harm to the fish. The long fights on light tackle is what will kill a muskie. THey get tired out from a long fight then pulled out of the water and they're done for after that.

I've never fished the french so I can't help much with baits etc. but good luck and have fun.

here is a good link to help get you on the right track please have a look around the Muskies Canada site there is alot of good info on there please read up then come back with follow up questions or shoot me a PM i will help you out as much as possible as well as many others here.

Cheers and good reading Mike